IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

48 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Both! :whistle:

He's right!

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

68 (-4) yesterday with no sixes and just three 5´s. I already won the challenge but it still a good one to keep in mind on the course to keep the score low.  

My last round wasn't spectacular -- I shot an 86 at my home course, good for approximately my handicap.

I had only two sixes and that makes me happy.

Hole 5, an uphill par-4 where you can be in the fairway and not see the green for your second shot depending on placement, is one of those holes I'm generally happy with bogey.  I got a near-GIR after driver, hybrid -- missed short left (and I hooked the shot).  Missing long left or even pin-high left is death on this hole, so I'm fine with where I missed.

I then proceeded to miss the green with my chip, not hitting it far enough.  And it wasn't that long a shot, either, and I wasn't super short-sided.  I then hit a mediocre short chip and didn't get up and down from there.  Six.

Hole 17, the longest par-5 on the course;  driver, 4-wood (that I pushed a bit and it went through a tree branch, costing me some distance) set me up for a short iron approach.  I hit it pin high into a decent lie.  Considering how deep this green is, and it was playing into the wind, I'm happy with that after three.  I didn't get up and down though, and took my only other six.

My point for others:  I'm not that good a player and I nearly did this.  I only parred one par-4 all day (and that was one of the longest par-4s), although I did technically birdie one (#6, right after my first six of the day).  But on the par-5s, I was GIR or near-GIR on all with a good drive and a good fairway wood.

Playing there again Saturday.  Maybe I'll finally get a nine without a 6, or even better, all eighteen.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 11/14/2017 at 10:20 AM, Shindig said:

Playing there again Saturday.  Maybe I'll finally get a nine without a 6, or even better, all eighteen.

Went nine holes without a 6.  Wasn't able to keep it up on the second nine though:  6s on the par-4 11th and 13th, and a very avoidable bogey 6 on the par-5 18th (had 80 yards to go for GIR and made a six).  Hopefully I can successfully finish the challenge at some point.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Came close today, no 6’s through 16 and 17 is a par 5 where I hit a good drive but ...

Then I TOPPED a 3 wood about 30-40 yards, leaving myself “only” 215 for my 3rd.  Hit it well but just off the green and couldn’t get up and down, made bogey.

:cry:

So close, yet so far.

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Came close today, no 6’s through 16 and 17 is a par 5 where I hit a good drive but ...

Then I TOPPED a 3 wood about 30-40 yards, leaving myself “only” 215 for my 3rd.  Hit it well but just off the green and couldn’t get up and down, made bogey.

So close, yet so far.

Oh man. I feel your pain. Mental game! :-D

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

So close, yet so far.

Ugh!

It's funny, but a round doesn't go by that I don't think about this challenge any more.

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I can’t believe this is so hard. Honestly, you’d need to be a low single digit or scratch to do this.

I used to birdie two of the par 5s all the time, just not in one round. It’s either feast or famine and never in the same round. Maybe I’m thinking about playing for a score then trying too hard? It’s like an old car radio. Push one button and another one pops out. Bogey offsets a birdie. Well, at least my better rounds have been double free. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Shoot 72 (E) yesterday but doubled 2nd hole with an OB from the tee on a par 4. 15 pars, 2 birdies. 
Shoot 65 (-7)  today but bogied a par 5 because of a tee shot to a water hazard. 9 pars, 8 birdies. 

With 5 on every hole for a 90 i would win the challenge... weird. 

I had an interesting game yesterday. I made three good up and downs for fives and one good two putt in semi darkness from about 60 feet also for a 5. Unfortunately on the second hole though I had a ball disappear in leaves in the left rough. Couldn’t go back to the tee so had to drop a ball and play on from there. Grr!

• 3 weeks later...

I achieved this in our men's club tournament this weekend. I had 3 birdies, all of which came on par 5's and no doubles on any other holes.  

Even with a relatively solid / penalty-free round, I still had to make two 5-6 footers to salvage 5's, including one on the last hole of the day. It's a tough challenge - for all of us except the super lower handicappers, we hit enough loose shots in a given round that it's relatively easy for a single hole to go off the rails. 

Final score on the round was a 76. 3 birdies, 7 bogeys, 8 pars.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Big C said:

I achieved this in our men's club tournament this weekend. I had 3 birdies, all of which came on par 5's and no doubles on any other holes.  

Even with a relatively solid / penalty-free round, I still had to make two 5-6 footers to salvage 5's, including one on the last hole of the day. It's a tough challenge - for all of us except the super lower handicappers, we hit enough loose shots in a given round that it's relatively easy for a single hole to go off the rails. 

Final score on the round was a 76. 3 birdies, 7 bogeys, 8 pars.

Cool!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Big C said:

Awarded! Congratulations!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like to hook my tee ball OB on the first hole just to alleviate myself of the stress of completing the No 6's challenge. :8)

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

6 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I like to hook my tee ball OB on the first hole just to alleviate myself of the stress of completing the No 6's challenge. :8)

I agree, and usually, if I manage to not go OB off the tee on one, I am usually good for one in the swimming pool on 2. 

Edited by dzclarkcpa

I achieved the challenge again in both my of last 2 rounds, with scores of 78 with only 3 greens and 79 with 6 greens in regulation.  The putter really helped in both instances. For instance, I had a breaking 12 footer for par on the last hole today, a par 5, and sank the putt! :banana:

I start every round now trying to achieve this challenge and it's not easy, especially the no bogey on a par 5 part (for me).

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Long time without posting, or playing as much as I used to, but this challenge caught my eye.

Shot an 88 at my home course today with three sixes, no sevens. Which I think just qualifies me as having completed the challenge, being an 18 handicapper. 

Summer is in full swing here , so I hope to get out a bit more regularly

• Thumbs Up 1

Chris.:roll: