IGNORED

Trying to Hit the Ball Picking Cart?

Note: This thread is 1239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went to a driving range with a good friend today. One of those ones that automatically presents the ball to to hit. 

During our session, the guy in the caged, ball recovery cart started driving around picking up balls. There were several golfers at other hitting stations near us. At one point, we noticed most of the other golfers were were taking dead aim at the cart. We figured why not. That, if the youngsters could do it,  why not us older dudes too. I've done it brfore. Now please note, that a few decades ago I too could sometimes be found driving one of this carts, with an occassional ball hitting the it.  

I found it some what easy to land balls near, or on the cart, as it was a moving target, retrieving balls. Especially in the 50-100 yard range.

Not sure we helped our swings much, with the rapid fire system we were using.

Ever done this dastardly deed yourself?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When my kids were younger, they made it a game to hit the cart with their punch shots.

Generally, I make an obvious show of waiting for them to pass before hitting, in hopes that others would follow suit.

Some time ago, a friend hit the cart accidentally and the ball came tearing back scattering a few golfers roughly in line with the trajectory of the ball.

Being an older adopter, it's basically the opposite.

Most of the time, I'll wait a bit to give the cart a chance to move out of the line of fire.

If I'm really pissed sometimes, I'll let rip regardless of where the cart is. But I never actually aim for the cart.

18 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

I do like to drop wedge shots in front of the picker though ;-)

That seems like fair game. Or if the cart is 250 yards away. :-)

Not if he's close - especially with any full swing shot - it could penetrate the cage (unlikely, but not impossible and I really don't know the condition of his protection, there could be gaps).  It's rude to the driver and the ball could bounce back.

If he's a long ways out, then it's just random shots anyway.

• iacas changed the title to Trying to Hit the Ball Picking Cart?
  • Administrator

I think the people inside hate it, so I typically don't, unless I have almost no chance… like the other day, when I cut a driver to a moving cart at about 270… and hit between the picker part and the cart part.

But 99% of the time, I actively avoid hitting it. Because I can imagine being inside and getting hit would SUCK.

I try to avoid the cart but I am guilty in the past of trying to pop one with a short iron if it is close enough.  On my home course the ball picker is not totally caged in so aiming for it is out of the question. 

Many moons ago for sure, but earlier this year I was warming up at Koolina, tee’d the ball a bit high, took a big swing with the driver and straight up in the air it went. 

Wow, that’s high....and in line with the buggy,...that might hit buggy,...that dood is driving right into it.....Bam, right on the roof top. Sucker was loud. 

Extremely embarrassed, but ready to burst out in laughter, I casually walked over and putted for a little bit.

Another "Bogey Man" moment courtesy of George Plimpton, He interviewed a guy who drove a picker cart at a driving range. He said that when he was out there, he could see guys on the tees pulling low irons from their bags to rifle shots at him. He said it made him wonder about human nature!

32 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Another "Bogey Man" moment courtesy of George Plimpton, He interviewed a guy who drove a picker cart at a driving range. He said that when he was out there, he could see guys on the tees pulling low irons from their bags to rifle shots at him. He said it made him wonder about human nature!

LOL :-D

Sorry, I had to laugh at this one. I could see the expression of fear in the ball picker today at the range. He made these uneasy and nervous looking turns towards the longer hitters who all convened on the left side of the range. You could see his relief when he noticed that the entire side stopped hitting balls as he drove by. . .

Used to work at a golf course in college which included 2-3 range picker sessions per day...

From experience getting hit with a ball inside one of those things literally sounds like a gun shot.

But yeah, I still aim for it. :-)

Note: This thread is 1239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!