Jump to content
IGNORED

Do you exercise with golf in mind? Why or why not?


Note: This thread is 960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My exercise is designed for my age and golf, I'm 59.  Golf helps motivate me to exercise.

265lb squat for 3x3 and 225 for 3x10 are respectable numbers for McIlroy... There have been articles from DJ as well stating he goes up into the 255-275 range for squats as well... You said Rory

I exercise with exercise in mind.

Golf is a leisure activity, if you are fit you do everything better.  No need to just focus on golf, fitness is it's own reason.  Hopefully general fitness will improve your game.

I'm not even sure that "Golf Fitness" in itself is another oxymoron

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My own take:

I take fitness/exercise probably more seriously than my golf game.  My gym time is entirely geared toward physique development (isolated weight lifting).  I can say confidently that my "brand' of fitness affects my golf negatively and vice versa.  Not so much performance, but really how prepared my body feels to do one or the other.  Playing 18 holes with a chest pump and DOMS from yesterday's leg workout adds a whole new element to the game managing pain, stiffness, soreness, etc.  Then the flip-side would be golf generates its own set of aches when you're actively ill-preparing your body for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some specific exercises that help the golf game.

1. Balance
2. Core Strength
3. Back Strength

Full body workouts are generally better. You don't really need to isolate muscle groups for the golf swing. It isn't like a RB in football that really needs to work out the quads, hamstrings, and gluts to keep up that running power.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

There are some specific exercises that help the golf game.

1. Balance
2. Core Strength
3. Back Strength

Full body workouts are generally better. You don't really need to isolate muscle groups for the golf swing. It isn't like a RB in football that really needs to work out the quads, hamstrings, and gluts to keep up that running power.

I think you have the right idea. I feel it is important to remember that all the muscles are involved in golf. Some instructors have said we only use our triceps in the golf swing and not the biceps and that may be true  but it is the bicep that supports the tricep as part of the arm and we want strong support. for all active muscles.

I recently worked with a local high school golf team and I asked them what muscles they use when they pick the ball out of the cup and out of  30 students only one said the core, the rest said the back or legs. We want to engage the stomach muscles which supports the back as part of the core.Bottom line a complete body workout is advised.

I was always intrigued by Walter Payton who said he ran mountains in the off season because it worked all of his leg muscles and prepared him for the game of football. He felt weights were too limited.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to pick exercise specifically for golf.......I'd have to say any type of hard tension/power type yoga is ideal.  (stretching, reaching, tons of tension, core, cardio, sweating, etc all in one place)

not the 'spiritual' type of lazy yoga, but the real workouts

but then, that's probably ideal for most any activity for a fitness foundation

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

If I had to pick exercise specifically for golf.......I'd have to say any type of hard tension/power type yoga is ideal.  (stretching, reaching, tons of tension, core, cardio, sweating, etc all in one place)

not the 'spiritual' type of lazy yoga, but the real workouts

but then, that's probably ideal for most any activity for a fitness foundation

Boy you got it right. I have taught and have done Yoga for 20 years and most people think we are going to sit in lotus and stare at a candle. They leave the class with a different attitude.LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there's a good reason why there's never really been a truly muscular/built Tour player... Athletic/lean yes, but nobody I would see in street clothes and say "yeah, that guy definitely puts in the time at the gym."

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, adamgoodman said:

I'm sure there's a good reason why there's never really been a truly muscular/built Tour player... Athletic/lean yes, but nobody I would see in street clothes and say "yeah, that guy definitely puts in the time at the gym."

You might want to look again.....

(Unless you are talking about a professional body builder type of frame, but that's a pointless tangent)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, adamgoodman said:

I'm sure there's a good reason why there's never really been a truly muscular/built Tour player... Athletic/lean yes, but nobody I would see in street clothes and say "yeah, that guy definitely puts in the time at the gym."

Yeah, I haven't seen any either. Long drive, yes, but the norm is not too muscular. They're very fit though. I'd say they do work out, but not "built".

Rory is about the most "fit" in this sense. . . http://www.businessinsider.com/rory-mcilroy-muscle-pga-golf-2015-5

 

31 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

You might want to look again.....

(Unless you are talking about a professional body builder type of frame, but that's a pointless tangent)

I don't think he even means that. . .

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports/golf/8-fittest-golfers-pga-tour/slideshow

Not all that muscular. Then you have Jason Dufner types. . .who are fit compared to the . . .http://listafterlist.com/fattest-golfers-on-the-pga-tour/

 

Geeze, one letter really makes a huge difference, 'i' versus 'a'. :-D

Edited by Lihu
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Then you have Jason Dufner types. . .

yeah, lots of them, giving hope to middle aged men everywhere that with enough of a bankroll, you too can divorce many hot women - (also considered a form of exercise and a source of unhealthy weight loss)

 

However - the statement one wouldn't say "yeah, that guy definitely puts in the time at the gym."  is a pretty clear indication that people that don't go to the gym have an unrealistic vision of what kind of results you should expect.

Most all these players put an insane amount of time in with weights and gym training.  To me, it's very obvious which ones do and which ones don't.  As you won't get fit just playing golf and eating burgers, the difference really stands out.

Edited by rehmwa
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

yeah, lots of them, giving hope to middle aged men everywhere that with enough of a bankroll, you too can divorce many hot women - (also considered a form of exercise and a source of unhealthy weight loss)

 

However - the statement one wouldn't say "yeah, that guy definitely puts in the time at the gym."  is a pretty clear indication that people that don't go to the gym have an unrealistic vision of what kind of results you should expect.

Most all these players put an insane amount of time in with weights and gym training.  To me, it's very obvious which ones do and which ones don't.

Yeah, but Rory does have a point about "image". Tour players should look more athletic.

In the old days Baseball players looked pretty "middle aged" too, so maybe golf will workout to look more "buff"?

Edited by Lihu
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, but Rory does have a point about "image". Tour players should look more athletic.

In the old days Baseball players looked pretty "middle aged" too, so maybe golf will do the same?

I think they should, and in the long run, the fit players will win more than the slugs.

FWIW - every single one of those players in the slideshow you linked clearly looks like they spend a ton at the gym.  (except Jordan to me.  he still looks like a skinny kid)  Golf attire doesn't do it justice unless you go the Rory route and wear shirts too small.

 

and that 'fattest golfers' link is unfair.  It's really "heaviest" golfers, and some of them are very fit (Lee, Phil and Ernie).  There's a difference between fatties and just really big guys.  For their ages, Lee, Phil and Ernie are doing great.  Phil recently took a ton of weight off.

(I really hate that phrase "for your age", I'm getting that more often - "wow, you're doing great.........for your age"...I wish they'd leave the last 3 words off... :-P

Edited by rehmwa
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I think they should, and in the long run, the fit players will win more than the slugs.

FWIW - every single one of those players in the slideshow you linked clearly looks like they spend a ton at the gym.  (except Jordan to me.  he still looks like a skinny kid)  Golf attire doesn't do it justice unless you go the Rory route and wear shirts too small.

IDK, my son, who's only about 150 pounds now, doesn't spend tons of time at a gym and looks way more fit than all of them except for Rory. Rory looks really fit. I mean, he looks strong. It might be the sweaters, but the others look on the slim side of normal to me.

 

To the OP:

For me, Golf is my exercise. I try to walk whenever I can. Driving range is a pretty decent workout if I hit more than 30 balls or so.

Edited by Lihu
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I exercise primarily to keep my bones from fusing together as I get older.

However, the benefits from that have helped keep my body, mostly my lower back, in good golfing shape. At this age it is pretty much a necessity for me to be able to play at all.

Since around 2005 when I started working out regularly, I noticed that I was no longer tired on the last day of our 4 day Myrtle Beach trip every August. Since that point golf is always on my mind when I work out.

Being selected for the Newport Cup this year, it is even more on my mind. 90 holes in three days!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, adamgoodman said:

I'm sure there's a good reason why there's never really been a truly muscular/built Tour player... Athletic/lean yes, but nobody I would see in street clothes and say "yeah, that guy definitely puts in the time at the gym."

that is because many of them understand the term "functional fitness "

Link to post
Share on other sites

I exercise for exercising.  Not for golf.  I think any exercise helps your golf game be it endurance, flexibility or strength.  My exercise is based on trying to stay fit overall and not for any particular activity.  I lift weight, run, swim and do yoga.  I try to vary my routines so it does not get boring or hit a plateau.

Generally, I am an adrenaline junkie.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Wedges typically used to have distinct design features that differentiated a wedge from an iron.  These days, any club with a high loft is called a wedge.
    • You look about 6'6", 210lbs. I guess you can't boogie but you're delicious. Nice drill!
    • I took my first lesson of 2021 yesterday and my teaching pro, Joe Portfilo, has no problem with me posting his video recaps of my lessons.  I do not have the most recent video yet but below is a lesson from Aug. 2020.  He gave me a lot to work on, and some he mentioned again yesterday.        
    • I've been Playing Golf for: 12 years My current handicap index or average score is: 80s My typical ball flight is: High Fade The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull/Hook Videos:  https://youtu.be/CuKQGGz2mJ8    
    • I bought a driver head that was in a box, not possible to be damaged in transit unless it was crushed flat. I sent the seller a photo showing the dent, I’m obviously amazed eBay in my case didn’t investigate the claim. All correspondence with the seller is by the eBay “eBay” app, so they have access to what was written between us. Buying a callaway epic driver in NZ costs a $1000nz so to buy one for a third of that I expected scratch and marks on it, I don’t expect dents and dishonest description for a jerk...
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. blkjazz
      blkjazz
      (71 years old)
    2. bluebaws82
      bluebaws82
      (39 years old)
    3. g30rg35m1th
      g30rg35m1th
      (21 years old)
    4. Otis2014
      Otis2014
      (58 years old)
    5. Phil Marsh
      Phil Marsh
      (50 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...