Sign in to follow this  
dennyjones

How Many Michigan Courses Have You Played?

11 posts / 977 viewsLast Reply

How many different Michigan courses have you played this year?  Usually I play about 8 different courses but I'm now playing regularly with three different groups and have played more Michigan courses this year than any previous year.   I've played 33 different courses.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

33 is outstanding as far as variety.  My count was 28 in Michigan for 2017.

I've played 29 different courses this year, 2018.   I don't think I'll add any new ones as the weather get colder.   If I continue to play it will be a repeat of some local ones.

I looks like I'm the only one updating this but...

I played 30 different courses this year.    I played 55 rounds averaging $22.61 per round.   

I live near Davison Country Club but because I play so many different courses I can't justify a membership.   I was under $1700 for the year.

I played a lot when I was young, including the HS golf team - so I think I've played every course in the Jackson & Lansing area, and then as a adult I've played various courses around the lower pennisula. 
I have a list somewhere - but off the top of my head I'd put the number around 75

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I played a lot when I was young, including the HS golf team - so I think I've played every course in the Jackson & Lansing area, and then as a adult I've played various courses around the lower pennisula. 
I have a list somewhere - but off the top of my head I'd put the number around 75

I have a ways to go!

I am at about 150 or so. Most are located within 75 miles of Detroit.  I say "or so" as quite a few of the courses I have played in Michigan no longer exist (e.g. Elk Ridge), have been re-named (e.g. Holiday Greens is now Waabooz Run) or are not members of GAM and thus are not on a list for me to recall.

It is amazing that "150" barely scratches the surface here in Michigan.  There are dozens of big time public courses I have not played (Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes) and hundreds of private courses I will never even see.

I played 29 different courses in 2019 but only 2 were for the first time (Edgewood and Stoney Creek).

Edited by bkuehn1952

I played a few new courses (to me) last year:

1. Paint Creek
  2. Forest Akers East
  3. Tanglewood
  4. Coyote
  5. Pierce Lake
  6. Westwynd

Looking forward to exploring more.

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2020 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • I actually like my clubs to look beat up, but clean. I don't even cover my woods sometimes. The putter, on the other hand, is always covered. 
    • I don’t see this situation as playing through. I see it as first come first serve on the turn. You go to order food and have to wait a bit with an open tee, I’m going. I don’t see that as rude. Maybe they could have asked earlier in the front 9. 
    • New golf courses are EXPENSIVE to design, build, etc and will only continue to increase in price, and many of the existing ones are simply running out of room to move tee boxes back. FFS Augusta had to buy an entire road so they could move a tee box back recently. Which would absolutely suck because there are soooo many really really good golf courses that exist now that would be able to challenge all aspects of a PGA tour player's game if they didn't hit it so far.  They don't need to be treated as separate events, the pros just need a slight distance limiter (ball, club technology, etc) that allows them to continue to play these iconic and awesome golf courses. Amateurs can buy those balls if they want, or keep playing the regular balls like now. What about upcoming high level amateurs and how would they adjust? Well the same thing exists in Baseball. Across all levels of college baseball metal bats are used. The moment a player gets drafted and signs with a professional team, instantly wood bats. The top hitters still have the ability to hit, just like the top collegiate (or h.s.) golfers would have the ability to score with a shorter ball/equipment when they move up to the next level. That is so BORING to watch though, and it would still be bombs away 90% of the time for the top players, and that can make the distance gap between short and long hitters even more, look at Bethpage last year. Brooks didn't care if his drive went into the rough on most holes because he had the speed to get an 8 iron through the rough and still get his approach shot to the green. A shorter hitter who carried it into the same rough as Brooks but 30 yards further back probably doesn't have enough speed to get their 5 iron through the rough so they have to lay up while Brooks was able to reach the green.  Another example is comparing watching the Ryder Cup to the President's Cup at Royal Melbourne. The rough at Royal Melbourne wasn't super grown in and those fairways weren't super narrow at all but players still got punished when they were out of position because angles into greens actually mattered there.   I know you didn't specifically mention it, but super long rough around the greens is really boring too and easy for the pros to handle. It stops errant shots so much quicker when they miss the green, easier for pros to open the face and slide the club underneath the ball, etc. Pros struggle so much more chipping off of very tight lies and on holes where missing the green in the wrong spot can funnel your ball further away from the hole/green, not keep it close because of the rough. I don't think that narrower fairways and increased rough is the proper solution at all. Yup, this is part of the solution IMO. Make angles into greens matter again.  The other part IMO is equipment related. The driver is the most forgiving club in the bag, I think guys should be penalized more for off-center strikes, knowing if they hit it off the toe or heel there is a chance that ball could be off the planet O.B. Whether that's with a smaller CC driver head, lowering the max MOI, higher spin golf balls, etc I'm not sure, but I think that hitting driver really straight and really far for pros should require more skill than it does now.
    • I sole mine. Seeing your a 7.7.......did you ask him what his cap was?    don’t you just love unsolicited comments?
    • PGA TOUR Radio Listen to PGA TOUR Radio, where you'll hear the latest golf news, tournament scores & coverage and player highlights from the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Web.com Tour. https://www.pgatour.com/radio/on-the-mark.html Dave and I are on "On the Mark" with Mark Immelman this week, on PGA Tour Radio (podcasts). We join a really great list of previous guests: Give it a listen and let me know what you think! We recorded it about three weeks ago, and… I haven't heard the final product yet, and won't until this afternoon at the earliest. 🙂
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Jay G
      Jay G
      (44 years old)
    2. JRan
      JRan
      (40 years old)
    3. Rkrider99
      Rkrider99
      (70 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...