IGNORED

Real rule or a local one?

Papa Steve 55
Note: This thread is 2366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Can you people not read, and understand the written word?!

Feeling particularly jerky tonight?

We read what you wrote just fine.

Shot OB? Stroke only, no distance penalty. Holds up play. Get 'em through the course and in the bar for a couple of beers. More money!

Hitting a provisional doesn't change that equation at all - they finish in the same amount of time, and "get through the course" in the same amount of time. AND they can play by the Rules of Golf, making their handicaps legit.

There are too many courses hanging by a thread to go by the book! Thus, local rules!

That makes no sense. Local Rules don't lead to an increase in spending. You've got no ground to stand on here.

But then, it may be that you guys have more money than you know what to do with,and thus look down on the proletariat. If so, you are only reinforcing the idea that golf is an "elitist" game!

:doh:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Can you people not read, and understand the written word?! I explained myself, and the actions of certain courses, perfectly. Get as many players around per day as you can. Shot OB? Stroke only, no distance penalty. Holds up play. Get 'em through the course and in the bar for a couple of beers. More money!

There are too many courses hanging by a thread to go by the book! Thus, local rules! But then, it may be that you guys have more money than you know what to do with,and thus look down on the proletariat. If so, you are only reinforcing the idea that golf is an "elitist" game!

Huh?  I'm a journeyman machinist - worked 33 years in a machine shop making parts to build aluminum can making machinery for the world leader in the industry.  If that's an elite profession them I must have missed the memo.  It doesn't take a PHD or an executive job to learn and play by the rules.  I played public and municipal courses my whole life. 

Erik said the rest of what I'd have to comment on about your tirade, so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 10/15/2017 at 9:41 PM, iacas said:

Feeling particularly jerky tonight?

We read what you wrote just fine.

Hitting a provisional doesn't change that equation at all - they finish in the same amount of time, and "get through the course" in the same amount of time. AND they can play by the Rules of Golf, making their handicaps legit.

That makes no sense. Local Rules don't lead to an increase in spending. You've got no ground to stand on here.

:doh:

While I do not disagree with you, I think both of us know that many many golf courses do whatever is necessary to speed up play and lets face it...there are a lot of guys who are out there playing who will never understand the concept of playing a provisional ball.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

12 minutes ago, RickK said:

While I do not disagree with you, I think both of us know that many many golf courses do whatever is necessary to speed up play and lets face it...there are a lot of guys who are out there playing who will never understand the concept of playing a provisional ball.  

Why?  

It's a simple concept.  Anyone who understands the penalty of stroke and distance is certainly capable of understanding the reasoning behind a provisional...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 hours ago, David in FL said:

Why?  

It's a simple concept.  Anyone who understands the penalty of stroke and distance is certainly capable of understanding the reasoning behind a provisional...

Because they simply don't care.  I knew a guy who was as resistant to playing a provisional ball as he was to making the walk of shame.  He never played one in non-competition rounds, always just dropped for one stroke and played on.  He did carry an official handicap, it was just a fraction of a stroke lower than it should have been.  He averaged less than one ball per round lost in that way, so the reality was that it didn't materially affect his handicap.  He never joined in any wagers, so that was irrelevant too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, David in FL said:

Why?  

Hope springs eternal.....

6 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Hope springs eternal.....

It has nothing to do with understanding.  As @Fourputt said, it's because they just don't care.

In David's bag....

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

It has nothing to do with understanding.  As @Fourputt said, it's because they just don't care.

To admit you wont find your ball is to come face to face with the fact that you hit a really bad shot. The eternal optimist in us says we will find the ball, so there is no need for a provisional. Proof of this is when you help a guy look for his ball that was 50 feet over the tallest tree and heading deeper. He walks along the edge of the tree line looking in the most open area between the trees and simply cant believe the ball is not lying in plain sight.

Just now, Papa Steve 55 said:

To admit you wont find your ball is to come face to face with the fact that you hit a really bad shot. The eternal optimist in us says we will find the ball, so there is no need for a provisional. Proof of this is when you help a guy look for his ball that was 50 feet over the tallest tree and heading deeper. He walks along the edge of the tree line looking in the most open area between the trees and simply cant believe the ball is not lying in plain sight.

The 4-ball I played in today hit 7 provisionals as a group.  Only 1 was actually used.

Just sayin'...   :-) 

In David's bag....

I hit em mostly because I want to get a better swing feel before the next shot that counts. It is surprising how times you ask another player if they want to hit one and they say no. I figure its like a breath mint, if offered, you should probably take it.

To many, league golf rules are as strict as it gets.

My playing partner plays on a league at the course where he and I play casual golf. Many of the holes have drop zones between the hazard and the green for the purpose of speeding up play, I assume. Based on my understanding of the USGA rules, this local rule isn't legitimate so I never use those drop zones and instead drop on the correct side of the hazard.

It drives him nuts. He can't understand why I "make the game harder than it has to be". Lol.

In his case, that's fine that he chooses to play as he does. He doesn't post scores for HC, we don't wager, and he doesn't talk crap or brag about a low score.

Jon

I am sorry I just don't understand why people continue to rage on against the rules of golf?! If you don't want to play by the rules then don't. I do not believe there is a golf course in the world that follows groups around handing out penalties and forcing people to go back to the tee if they lose a ball.

BUT...

If you want to be taken seriously on here, if you want to have a legitimate handicap, if you want to play tournament golf you HAVE to learn and play by the rules. The good thing is they are not that hard to play by. I play every round by the rules every time I tee it up

EITHER WAY...

Stop complaining about the Rules of Golf, they are not elitist, nor are not bad for the game, and they are certainly not difficult to follow. Sheesh! :doh:

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Wow! Just clicked on this thread again and can't believe what an idiot I was in my earlier posts! I must have been deep into the Bourbon!

While I still believe that local rules are real rules, stroke only for OB is in opposition to one of the cardinal rules of golf! I have noticed that "better" courses do not entertain this mode of thought, while the "lesser" courses may. So, guys swat a ball into the woods, drive out there, and just drop a ball. Usually 40-50 yards past where they really went OB!

These are not "golfers", they are guys who "play golf".

5 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Wow! Just clicked on this thread again and can't believe what an idiot I was in my earlier posts! I must have been deep into the Bourbon!

While I still believe that local rules are real rules, stroke only for OB is in opposition to one of the cardinal rules of golf! I have noticed that "better" courses do not entertain this mode of thought, while the "lesser" courses may. So, guys swat a ball into the woods, drive out there, and just drop a ball. Usually 40-50 yards past where they really went OB!

These are not "golfers", they are guys who "play golf".

I always just say somebody hacked my account......it worked the first couple of times.

Note: This thread is 2366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!