IGNORED

Did you guys improve your clubhead speed over time?

yanni
Note: This thread is 2233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, yanni said:

At what position do actually start accelerating ? I do it like that.

1) Hip / shoulder turn which drops the hands
2) When the shaft is parallel to the ground I start accelerating with my arms. I also tried using my left and right hands/wrists at the very last moment. But it seems I do  not gain anything from this.

For me its when i start to transfer weight forward, My hands natural want to drop at this point. As im un-coiling the speed picks up gradually but really kicks in when my hands start to reach the ball and stop accerlerating. Wrists unhinge and the clubhead zips through.

This is how it "feels" to me and as we like to say here "feel anit real" but many of us (me included) are feel players and if it works then it works.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

camillo villegas was the shortest hitter on his team when he started in college.  then he started working out religiously, put on 25 pounds, and by the time he made it to the pga tour, average 300 yards off the tee. he's dropped about 10 yards since then, but my point is made.  become fitter, stronger, more flexible, and combine that with learning how to swing the club correctly, and youll gain a lot of yards off the tee. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

On 10/8/2017 at 7:56 AM, Hacker James said:

The Speed Stick Clone (Hacker Whacker) I made helps somewhat in developing speed in that after a few swings with it, it "seems" as if you are swinging a club faster, but it was designed more for the purpose of tempo indicator. You could probably do just as well or better with an alignment rod and the "swoosh" drill as previously mentioned. (also demonstrated by Aimee Cho in her videos).

Good old Aimee. I do that swoosh drill sometimes. So I make a swoosh but I can't tell if it makes me swing the real club any faster. Aimee if you are reading this please private message me.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

8 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Good old Aimee. I do that swoosh drill sometimes. So I make a swoosh but I can't tell if it makes me swing the real club any faster. Aimee if you are reading this please private message me.

Me too!

:-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I got a big jump in club head speed that correlated to me playing my best golf 5-6 years ago. I think that was just more a result of me improving the way i swung the club overall rather than any "speed drill" per sea. But from a technical POV, the feeling of keeping my weight on the inside of my legs was important to efficiently delivering everything i had through the ball. When i sway too far back or forward it feels like i leak speed a bit. 

It seems like you're looking for a technical solution for just increasing club head speed. Im not sure that is how it works. I think you'll have more success from improving the swing from top to bottom rather than looking for a speed drill that will give you more. 

I've played this game for 50 years, so I've seen the Alpha and Omega of this deal. From when I was young and strong and could hit the ball a country mile, to gradually losing distance over the years, to trying to get some of that back.

Strength is important, but I'm still pretty strong. Flexibility is important, and I'm still pretty flexible. I think what is most important is "remember" to use my flexibility! We're all afraid of parking it in the tall and uncut, and my response to that was to saw my swing off short thus costing myself both distance and accuracy! I play my best golf these days when I remember to make a complete backswing.

• Administrator
On 10/9/2017 at 5:53 AM, yanni said:

At what position do actually start accelerating ? I do it like that.

1) Hip / shoulder turn which drops the hands
2) When the shaft is parallel to the ground I start accelerating with my arms. I also tried using my left and right hands/wrists at the very last moment. But it seems I do  not gain anything from this.

Your arms likely start accelerating well before that.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:53 AM, yanni said:

The combination of hip, shoulder rotation and my arms seem to give me the most speed. Hip rotation ads something but I in my case the arms seem to be responsible for most of the speed. But I know I have stronger arms than core probably. So this might differ from person to person.

Yeah… the arms are responsible for most of the speed from most everyone (if you include the wrists as part of the "arms").

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

Pay more attention to smash factor when on a launch monitor. How effective are you hitting the ball? Swing speed versus ball speed.

A guy with a swing speed of 100 and ball speed of 150 has a smash factor of 1.5    Average golfers are like 1.3 or there abouts.

A good exercise to increase your speed is taking practice swings and 'hearing' the swoosh of the clubhead occurring AFTER it passes where the ball would be placed. 

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

Pay more attention to smash factor when on a launch monitor. How effective are you hitting the ball? Swing speed versus ball speed.

A guy with a swing speed of 100 and ball speed of 150 has a smash factor of 1.5    Average golfers are like 1.3 or there abouts.

A good exercise to increase your speed is taking practice swings and 'hearing' the swoosh of the clubhead occurring AFTER it passes where the ball would be placed. 

I’m very surprised SF is as low as 1.3. How far from center is it that low?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

23 hours ago, Lihu said:

I’m very surprised SF is as low as 1.3. How far from center is it that low?

Dunno. I would imagine it depends on the club too. 

Point being; increasing swing speed may not increase your distance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a swing speed radar tempo timer. It shows my 6I speed at roughly 63mph 67 if I swing hard. My

driver speed is 73mph give or take. I have a good turn with no arms. Winter time carry (today) was 190

to 210 with a 3/4 backswing, 0 roll. In the summer time the ball rolls out to 235-255. I'm beginning to

understand my turn and today I took several backswings back to full parallel and carry was about 220.

I am 72yrs old, 145 lbs, and fairly athletic. I use an 07 Burner with a 47" shaft (50 over all). I don't

understand why my distance is very respectable with such a lousy swing speed. Could it be my machine,  or the length of the shaft? Any input would be appreciated.

Thats very interesting. My iron6 max swing speed (without hitting the ball) is around 85mph. When hitting the ball probably around 75mph average. My driver max speed is around 95mph Average when hitting the ball probably around 85-90 mph. My rollout distance with the driver is around 180-190 yards. So this is WAY less than your distance. This for sure has to do with not hitting the sweetspot every time. I am really curious how you can hit that far with your swing speed. 

Yanni.......Don't you ever sleep??

First off my course is 6433yds,  while (short in my opinion) it's rated 71 with a slope of 124. First tee  (from memory) about 350. Yesterday I hit 8 balls off #1 all were right at the 150 marker with two exception, one leaked into the trees on the right and the other was 20yds + or -  past the 150. That swing was the first big swing (all the way back to parallel) that I have made with my new turn. This is winter time distance, while I can't see the roll, lots of times I see the mud on the ball and a pitch mark about a foot behind it. Now I just read a member posted "as a non athletic 57 year old" he hit his 4I=170. To me that sounds about right, but I use woods in that instance. We have a par three that's 175(?) and I use a 20 degree  which is plenty. How is it that he is hitting his 4 I just 20 yds. short of your driver? I can't say for certain about the accuracy of my speed meter, I do use a Garmin on the course. Next week I plan on a fitting for a new Ping G 400, just north of me in Ky. I think they do all kinds of analysis, that should tell the story. Honestly my guess would be your are closer to 280 with a swing speed of 90mph. BUT if you're anything like my other half, she points out my "wrongness" many times a day!!!  At any rate I'll post the results of the fitting for all who are interested.

Edited by gmc1950s

4 hours ago, yanni said:

Thats very interesting. My iron6 max swing speed (without hitting the ball) is around 85mph. When hitting the ball probably around 75mph average. My driver max speed is around 95mph Average when hitting the ball probably around 85-90 mph. My rollout distance with the driver is around 180-190 yards. So this is WAY less than your distance. This for sure has to do with not hitting the sweetspot every time. I am really curious how you can hit that far with your swing speed. 

95 mph should get you 220 to 240 yards on average with 2700rpm of spin. Your best strikes should be over 250.

87mph should still give you 200+ yard drives. The first thing you need to do is figure out why you swing 7mph slower with a ball. The next thing is to hit the sweet spot and with an upward angle of attack to maximize your distance to something like 240 yards.

2 hours ago, gmc1950s said:

Yanni.......Don't you ever sleep??

First off my course is 6433yds,  while (short in my opinion) it's rated 71 with a slope of 124. First tee  (from memory) about 350. Yesterday I hit 8 balls off #1 all were right at the 150 marker with two exception, one leaked into the trees on the right and the other was 20yds + or -  past the 150. That swing was the first big swing (all the way back to parallel) that I have made with my new turn. This is winter time distance, while I can't see the roll, lots of times I see the mud on the ball and a pitch mark about a foot behind it. Now I just read a member posted "as a non athletic 57 year old" he hit his 4I=170. To me that sounds about right, but I use woods in that instance. We have a par three that's 175(?) and I use a 20 degree  which is plenty. How is it that he is hitting his 4 I just 20 yds. short of your driver? I can't say for certain about the accuracy of my speed meter, I do use a Garmin on the course. Next week I plan on a fitting for a new Ping G 400, just north of me in Ky. I think they do all kinds of analysis, that should tell the story. Honestly my guess would be your are closer to 280 with a swing speed of 90mph. BUT if you're anything like my other half, she points out my "wrongness" many times a day!!!  At any rate I'll post the results of the fitting for all who are interested.

I doubt this very much.

TrackMan-Page-1.png

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

@gmc1950s, either your swing speed is off, or your carry yardage is off.

I will assume you're not using illegal equipment.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Don't know about carry yardage for sure, only that I see pitch marks just behind the ball.

I hit four drives today on #1 at 365, three had about 150 left and one had 139 left. I hit a

6I to an elevated green and it was miss hit to about 3 yds. short. I used a Tempo Timer at home to tell me the SS and a Garmin at the course to read the distances. Like I mention to

Yanni I'll schedule a driver fitting for next week, hopefully that will clear the air. To be clear

the 6I was mishit from the 139 yardage. According to your chart I sort of prorated my63 mph

6I speed and yardage should be around 120. That seems pretty pathetic even for a geezer.

2 hours ago, gmc1950s said:

Don't know about carry yardage for sure, only that I see pitch marks just behind the ball.

I hit four drives today on #1 at 365, three had about 150 left and one had 139 left. I hit a

6I to an elevated green and it was miss hit to about 3 yds. short. I used a Tempo Timer at home to tell me the SS and a Garmin at the course to read the distances. Like I mention to

Yanni I'll schedule a driver fitting for next week, hopefully that will clear the air. To be clear

the 6I was mishit from the 139 yardage. According to your chart I sort of prorated my63 mph

6I speed and yardage should be around 120. That seems pretty pathetic even for a geezer.

This is likely, and definitely not pathetic. :-)

13 hours ago, gmc1950s said:

Honestly my guess would be your are closer to 280 with a swing speed of 90mph.

This is wrong. Probably a typo?

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I am overweight and almost fifty and I hit the ball farther now than I ever have with better accuracy.

My swing is more efficient.  For me it's intent that leads to efficiency.

Just my experience.

Note: This thread is 2233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!