IGNORED

Pre-Shot/Post-Shot Routine Importance

iacas
Note: This thread is 2280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Importance of Routines  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which routine is more important? Answer why in the comments.

• Pre-Shot Routine
    • Post-Shot Routine

• Administrator

I'll wait a little bit before sharing my thoughts, but take the poll however you'd like, and defend your answer.

You can always change your poll vote later if you re-consider.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Voted, "Pre-shot", because I feel like a post shot routine is too late for the shot at hand, and too early for the next one.

EDIT: Is this another twist on importance of mental game? :-D

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What is a post-shot routine?

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

In my opinion, I think pre shot routine is more important, mainly for the reason of I dont quite understand post shot routine. I guess just watching the ball?  Obviously watching the ball is important, but I kind of thought that was a given. You hit the ball, you watch where you hit it.

Pre shot routine is important because it can include visualization of the shot, it can include partial practice swings to reinforce a swing thought, it can include green reading when applicable, as well as how you line up to the ball. 

Once you hit the ball and you know where it is going/make sure it wont be lost, I cant really think of much else you would even include in a post shot routine. Maybe a routine where you brush dirt off your club?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I voted pre-shot routine.  

I focus on setup (starting point, alignment, grip and posture).  

But with post-shot routine it is probably where we can gather more information about the shot.  I try to hold my finish watching the ball flight to see if my pre-shot routine was effective.  The flight of the ball will give a valuable amount of information.

• Upvote 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)

I voted for pre-shot routine. To me, it gets me in the moment and really narrows down the focus for each and every shot. It takes into consideration what shot shape you were hitting when warming up, where to hit it, where to miss, the specific plan for that particular hole, etc...

The only thing I could think of as far as post shot routine would be the mental aspect from either hitting a good shot or bad and what frame of mind that puts you in for the next shot or even the rest of the round. I guess it would also carry forward what shot shape you are continually hitting as to better help the next pre-shot routine..But it just doesn't carry as much weight as the pre-shot, in my opinion, based on my game.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

What is a post-shot routine?

I just guessed it was like taking a couple extra swings after the golfer sees the ball land in some trees or something? I've watched many golfers do this and wondered if it was just to let off some steam or something? Or maybe they're just ingraining a specific move for the next shot? Never seen it done every time though. I'm sure we'll get a surprise answer. . .

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. . .

http://www.golf.com/instruction/develop-post-shot-routine

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

But with post-shot routine it is probably where we can gather more information about the shot.  I try to hold my finish watching the ball flight to see if my pre-shot routine was effective.  The flight of the ball will give a valuable amount of information.

:smartass:

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted post-shot routine.

Pre-shot routine is important, but a golfer isn't going to be aligned perfect each time. They still hit the ball generally at the target. It's easy to learn a good pre-shot routine.

A post-shot routine, watching the ball and assessing the shot, allows your body to learn. Maybe a good test is, can you tell the ball flight due to impact, before you even recognize the ball flight with your eyes? 

Now using that information to improve ball striking is a bit trickier. :whistle:

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I struggle with calling "watching the ball flight" a routine. No doubt watching the ball flight will tell you tons of information about the shot, but you dont have to hold your finish position to watch the ball flight, theres not a specific head angle or body position you must be in after the shot in order to watch it. 

Here is the definition for routine

routine.png.2714dcec9b75adda34c34b8c4fb03bfe.png

If you really want to consider very simple automatic things like keeping your eyes open, make sure your head is following the ball flight, make sure your eyes are on the ball, as a sequence of actions to make up a "routine" then sure I see the importance of a post shot routine. Outside of watching the ball, I dont see how having a routine after every shot can help the next shot that is upcoming.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

15 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Ah, I understand now. Never considered it a "routine" before.

Post-shot, hands down. Tracking my ballflight is how I evaluate how well I'm hitting the ball and where/how I need to make adjustments.

Sometimes your pre-shot feel doesn't get you the desired results and you need to change it. Need the post-shot for that.

I'll be honest though, my pre-shot routine is generally pick a line, walk up to ball, hit. It may or may not include a practice swing, depending on my mood.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, klineka said:

I struggle with calling "watching the ball flight" a routine.

There's a lot more to the post-shot routine than watching the ball flight.

Assessment and learning.

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Ah, I understand now. Never considered it a "routine" before.

Post-shot, hands down. Tracking my ballflight is how I evaluate how well I'm hitting the ball and where/how I need to make adjustments.

Sometimes your pre-shot feel doesn't get you the desired results and you need to change it. Need the post-shot for that.

I'll be honest though, my pre-shot routine is generally pick a line, walk up to ball, hit. It may or may not include a practice swing, depending on my mood.

Yeah, same here. I just do this kind of instinctively anyway.

My pre-shot always has a practice swing, but the number varies depending upon the outcome of one I just did.

EDIT: How about something like Mevo and GG? The mega_app for golf improvement?

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

But they often both involve doing the same thing.!!................. looking for the ball in the woods.. :-P

Ok kidding aside, this is like a trick question to me because pre-shot includes adjusting/accounting from post shot info from the previous shot.

I am only very grudgingly voted pre-shot because there is a good chance I will make an mechanical error if I don't round out my swing thought and my proprioception before I swing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

8 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

But they often both involve doing the same thing.!!................. looking for the ball in the woods..

also don't forget:

• counting and bagging the extra balls you found in those woods while not finding your own ball
  • choosing and executing the appropriate swear words
  • gathering the beaver pelt sized divot and bringing it back
  • pouring sand, no, more sand
  • cleaning and scraping the filthy club head
  • shaking out the hurtful buzzing in your hands
  • assessing the shot and planning needed adjustments/feels for the next few shots later - one needs to replicate that chunk effectively
  • wiping the algae off of your ball retriever
  • pre-staging your replacement ball in case the last one was sliced by your thin
  • driving to your ball, and then returning to previous shot to retrieve your rangefinder
  • making appropriate physical and mental based excuses - physical ones at least 90-95% of the time

post shot hands down - there is so much involved

Bill - 

I would have to say pre-shot, although after reading about post-shot routines in Golf Magazine you cannot discount their importance as well. For me, post-shot is very mental and I think I am fairly strong in that area. I analyze bad shots for possible causes then let them go fairly quickly, I don't dwell over them. Pre-shot routines however make or break me a lot of times. Making sure I get aimed correctly, have good ball position, good pre-shot mental prep, thats more important to me.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My post shot routine consists of a highly developed fist pump and club twirl. Because I'm bad ass like that.

I know that i have a pre-shot routine, but is practically unconscious at this point. I couldn't really tell you what i do other than i aim the face at a mark a few yards in front of the ball, and then align my body off of my club face. I would say that it is of upmost importance for me to set up correctly, because aligning my body too far right is the root cause of most of my bad shots. 

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

EDIT: How about something like Mevo and GG? The mega_app for golf improvement?

You can't use them during a round you're posting though, right? You can gather your data while you're playing, but you can't use the Apps for feedback on the course. It's still a breach of 14-3 even if it's a casual round.

Plus, you definitely can't use them during a stipulated round, so if your post-shot routine consists largely of staring at your phone, you're SOL in a tournament.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

But they often both involve doing the same thing.!!................. looking for the ball in the woods.. :-P

You gotta give me a little more credit than that, V....

Sometimes I play links-style courses and I'm looking in fescue :whistle:

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!