IGNORED

Wearing a Wedding Ring while Playing

Jeremie Boop
Note: This thread is 2200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As some of you may know, I recently got married. I had not had the opportunity to golf or go to the range since that day until yesterday after work. There was some annoyance/discomfort while golfing with my ring on and that made me wonder if this is a common issue that other people go through. If you have had a similar issue, what did you do to resolve it? Hopefully the answer isn't remove the ring, because I had already lost the first ring while we were in Puerto Rico on the beach and the possibility of losing it again.... Well, let's just say the consequences aren't exactly good.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many moons ago when I was first married, I wore a wedding ring.   I took it off to golf, it didn't feel right holding a golf club.   Soon after, I almost lost a finger in a manufacturing plant where the ring got caught in a machine.   I have never wore a ring since.   I have a very understanding wife.

My son-in-law was golfing with me a few years ago and took his wedding ring off on the last hole and sure enough, lost it.  We were luck to have it returned but he had issues golfing with a ring.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Patient:  "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor:  "Don't do that."

Sorry, but the answer is to remove your ring, especially if you wear a glove. Either leave it at home or in the car as part of your "pre-golf routine".  I also know one guy who has a small carabiner type clip that he clips onto a belt and slips the ring onto the clip.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If you leave it on you'll eventually get used to it. If I were to take it off now it would feel weird to play without it.

@David in FL, when I used to have asthma, I would tell my dad that it hurt when I breathed. His response?

"Well then don't breathe."

• Like 2

Colin P.

27 minutes ago, colin007 said:

@David in FL, when I used to have asthma, I would tell my dad that it hurt when I breathed. His response?

"Well then don't breathe."

That is the definition of tough love!

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

33 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Patient:  "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor:  "Don't do that."

Sorry, but the answer is to remove your ring, especially if you wear a glove. Either leave it at home or in the car as part of your "pre-golf routine".  I also know one guy who has a small carabiner type clip that he clips onto a belt and slips the ring onto the clip.

I actually thought of something similar, something I can put my ring on so I don't lose it. If I wore a necklace I could put it on there. I just don't want to put it somewhere that it could easily come up missing. She was understanding when the first one got lost, I'd rather not push my luck!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I never wear my wedding ring when I play golf. But the ring is important enough to me that I create habits to avoid losing it (not just at golf—also at work, where I need to take off the ring).

The key will be creating those habits that work for you, so that 6 hours later or next day or whatever, if your ring isn’t on your finger you can tell yourself “I don’t remember taking it off but I know I would have placed it (wherever) because that’s what I do.” At this moment I’m at work and don’t specifically remember taking it off but I know where it is, because that’s what I do.

Example: Maybe start with a little felt bag or something. Take the ring off when starting a golf round and put it in the bag and tell yourself (out loud) “I’m putting the ring with my car keys in the upper pocket of my golf bag.” Repeat every round. Do it every round. 

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I actually thought of something similar, something I can put my ring on so I don't lose it. If I wore a necklace I could put it on there. I just don't want to put it somewhere that it could easily come up missing. She was understanding when the first one got lost, I'd rather not push my luck!

Yeah.  The 2 things NOT to do are put it in your pocket, or by itself into your golf bag.  It's way to easy to lose, either through a hole, or when pulling something else out.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I dont wear my ring when i play, either. Leaving it on used to give me raw spots between my fingers. I hated it. I used to take it off every time i played but doing that caused me to misplace or lose it. So now the only time i wear at all is during social events. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

I do not wear my wedding ring while golfing. Generally, I will just leave my wedding ring at home in its box. However, if I do have it on me when I get to the course, I clip it to my keys. My car's fob clips to my key ring, so that works well for keeping the wedding ring safe. You could look into a small carabiner clip that attaches to your keys. I also have a small bag* in my golf bag where I keep ball markers and such. If I don't have my car keys on me, I'll put my wedding ring in that bag. I don't like doing that, though, because if I need to pull something out, the ring might fall out.

*It's a change bag. It's not a purse! Okay, well, it's a change purse. You happy now?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I think I'll pick up one of those small carabiner clips, seems to be a good compromise. I may even have one at home already. I appreciate the feedback fellas.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

On the other hand, (no pun intended) I have no problems with my wedding band. And maybe that's why. It's a "band", fairly thin with a low profile. If you have a big, clunky ring with lots of stuff on it, then yes, you might have issues. 

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Anyone else agree that a better answer could be given if @Jeremie Boop provided pics of the bride?

:-P:-P:-P

Well, here's a couple. One from the courthouse after the ceremony with the kids and one from the beach in Puerto Rico.

Family.jpg

beach.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Congrats again, @Jeremie Boop! Did you know there are muscles in your face that can turn your lips upwards at the ends of your mouth and possibly expose some teeth? It's  apparently a gesture to express happiness! :-P

I golf with my wedding ring on. It doesn't bother me or interfere with my grip at all. I also don't wear a glove.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I lost my wedding ring 15 years ago because, well, it bugged the living :poo: out of me. Not just while playing golf, but in general. My wife doesn't care, she rarely wears hers for the same reason. I guess we aren't ring people. To answer the OP take the dang thing off, I don't know how anyone wears the thing to play golf.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Congrats again, @Jeremie Boop! Did you know there are muscles in your face that can turn your lips upwards at the ends of your mouth and possibly expose some teeth? It's  apparently a gesture to express happiness! :-P

I golf with my wedding ring on. It doesn't bother me or interfere with my grip at all. I also don't wear a glove.

I've heard of those muscles before, I believe mine have atrophied too much over the years :-P

Plus, don't you know, showing emotion adds wrinkles and makes you look older!! In all honesty, I pretty much hate getting my picture taken so it tends to show.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I got married about 3 years ago, never take my ring off for another (because, as my mother says, if my head wasn't attached to my body, I'd lose that too).   was annoyed by the ring for about 2 rounds.   got used to it.  haven't thought about it since.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!