IGNORED

What is Your Punch-Out Club?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Punch Shot Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you use when you have to punch out from the trees (and keep the ball under the low branches)?

• Driver
    • Fairway Wood
    • Hybrid
    • 4I or 5I
    • 6I or 7I
    • 8I or 9I

On 11/3/2017 at 11:06 AM, pganapathy said:

Situation dependent but normal rule of thumb is a 3 iron. Depends on whether there is grass to cut through or not. The more grass and deeper the ball is buried the more lofted club I need

For me, it used to be a 3 iron as in my 2 year old post.  Now that I have removed both the 3 and 4 irons from my bag, it is the 5 iron.  Though I am slowly trying to figure out if I can hit the 4 hybrid better for this shot

5 minutes ago, LAMountaineer said:

My #1 option is the driver.  Whenever I use a hybrid or fairway iron, I usually get the ball to high into the air and into the low-hanging tree branches.  I just choke up on the driver, move the ball back in my stands and swing the club like a putter.  this works great, plus it allows me to pick up some distance (depending upon how hard I swing the club).

This is something I struggle to figure out.  I understand that you have very low loft on the driver, but how are you able to cut through any grass or slightly bad lies in order to contact the ball properly.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/12/2017 at 10:45 PM, David in FL said:

Usually 5-iron, but I'll use a hybrid a lot too.  The hotter face gives me more distance for about the same swing....

3w for me for the same reason.  Also due to the low loft there isn't much thinking to go on for me; just get up and whack it!

Edited by ncates00

Not a range rat, but I will practice “get out of jail “ shots. 

3 wood to PW. Depends on the circumstances. To keep a cut very low usually ends up being the 3 wood.

Most valuable lesson I had was one where my coach had me hitting my pitching wedge - hit it 100 yds and keep it as low as you can. Come on, that's not low. You can do better than that. I've used a GW to get out from under trees. Normally I use an 8i. I seriously deloft it. I've had to get good at getting out of the trees. 

• Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 10/13/2017 at 11:41 AM, iacas said:

I use a 6I. I can hit it about 120 yards no higher than about 6-7' off the ground. If I hit a 5I, sometimes I de-loft it so much it doesn't actually get airborne.

I use a 7I sometimes when the trees aren't the typical 7' or 8' like we have around here (oak trees, maples, etc.).

Totally agree re 6I, the problem with the 5I for me is it is just not anywhere's near as reliable as I often lose it of the face or just miss it altogether because it is that little bit longer and flatter. The 6I is the first club in the bag for me that has enough angle and isn't too long, so as I want to keep it as flat as possible and have as much distance choice as possible in a 100% reliable club it's the one for me too, great to have this confirmed as not being a dumb choice!

Mark Lyons

It depends on how much room there is for the ball to roll out and how low is low enough.  The club I use most often has 31 degrees of loft but I've used as little as 19 and as much as 42.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

4i works well but can go further than wanted like it did today punching out through a line of 3-4 trees 

So focused on the direction I ended up giving it a touch too much energy going past green.... 

Go Foxy Go

Note: This thread is 1811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!