IGNORED

What is Your Punch-Out Club?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Punch Shot Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you use when you have to punch out from the trees (and keep the ball under the low branches)?

• Driver
    • Fairway Wood
    • Hybrid
    • 4I or 5I
    • 6I or 7I
    • 8I or 9I

• Administrator

I use a 6I. I can hit it about 120 yards no higher than about 6-7' off the ground. If I hit a 5I, sometimes I de-loft it so much it doesn't actually get airborne.

I use a 7I sometimes when the trees aren't the typical 7' or 8' like we have around here (oak trees, maples, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 iron for me. I can use others depending on the shot, but the 4iron is most used I guess. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

I use a 6I. I can hit it about 120 yards no higher than about 6-7' off the ground. If I hit a 5I, sometimes I de-loft it so much it doesn't actually get airborne.

I used to always pull the 5i but since you brought this up in another thread, I started using the 6i (when I remember to). I have the same problem when I punch with the 5i.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If I can I use my 4 hybrid iron for a low running shot. Works pretty good for me because I have a lot of chances to use it. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• iacas changed the title to What is Your Punch-Out Club?

5i, and strangely I had a bad round the other month because I had been practicing this shot and started hitting it better.  For the longest time I would alway catch it a bit thin and I would hit it about 5-7 feet off the ground.  During the round in question I had 2 opportunities to punch out but I flushed them both which, as it turns out, elevates it to about 12 feet.  Both times I hit a branch and it ricocheted somewhere terrible the first time and OB the second.  Since I got yet another try after the OB I finally took delofting it more seriously and hit an excellent shot about 7’ off the ground.

I use the 6 or 5 iron, but I use 6 iron more often.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Used to be 4I but I’ve started not being able to hit it high enough anymore, especially if there is any kind of rough at all.

I voted 6-7, but it’s probably 6 or 5 usually for me.

I use a 5i.  It's my lowest lofted "real" iron (I have a JPX Fli-Hi 4i).  I prefer the iron for punching out versus the wider sole of the hybrids and the Fli-Hi.

- John

Usually 5-iron, but I'll use a hybrid a lot too.  The hotter face gives me more distance for about the same swing....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Typically a 4i.  I feel confident controlling the height, and hitting a low draw with it when necessary (and can sometimes pull off a little bit of a fade as well).

Depending on the lie, sometimes I’ll use a higher lofted club as well.

Hybrid mostly.. for me it glides through the pine needles, leaves etc much better. I'm not looking for distance, just putting back into play. It's a 1/4 to maybe a half swing at best.

A lot of the trees /branches I encounter are very low pines. If it's tree I can somewhat stand under, which is rare, I'll go with a low loft iron. LOL, there are two pines on the course that I play that if the ball goes under them, you're taking an unplayable.

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

Depends if my swing is hindered - if not a 4 iron, if it is hindered I will hit a choked down 21° hybrid or a delofted 6 iron

Edited by Wally Fairway
spelling, grammar and such

Players play, tough players win!

The longest club i have a uninhibited backswing with. I dont really have a "punch out club" per sea. Depends on the lie, whats around me, and the area I'm trying to leave myself.  Ive used everything from a gap wedge to a driver to punch out low from trees.. 

7i. Works everywhere for me, hard pan areas around tree roots, pine straw, etc.

Way back in stance, closed face, pop down into it and it also goes about ~6-7 ft. in the air and can get up and go about 100 yards for me. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Depends on the lie and what is in front of me.

But, usually a 5 or a 6 iron. Has enough loft to get the ball up, and keeps the ball low enough to avoid low hanging tree branches....most of the time.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

5 iron if I am just trying to get it back out into the fairway and keep it really low. 

If I have a bit more room for the ball to rise, I will use the appropriate club for that distance. I hit punch shots with my 7,8 and PW yesterday. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 1814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!