IGNORED

What is Your Punch-Out Club?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Punch Shot Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you use when you have to punch out from the trees (and keep the ball under the low branches)?

• Driver
    • Fairway Wood
    • Hybrid
    • 4I or 5I
    • 6I or 7I
    • 8I or 9I

4 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

@iacas

I see that you don't have my club listed... Should add an "other" option. (Some people still carry 2 and 3 irons you know, not me). 

It depends. If I have an Erik sort of situation. 7i... If I have limbs really low (like the tree on the left of the 6th) putter.... Actually I tend to use putter a lot. At Newman.

Or an "all of the above" option, since I've used every club mentioned there at one time or another. Just depends on what the shot calls for, and I'd rather try to match the club to the shot (with certain modifications in the setup), rather than try to make a swing I really don't think I can pull off.

I've hit some screaming low fades with a Driver that never get more than 3 feet off the ground!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Just depends on what the shot calls for

What the shot calls for is described in the question, @Buckeyebowman. But if you'd rather not vote in a rather meaningless poll, don't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If branches do not obstruct, I prefer a 3I. Even punching I can get a low stinger with a hard cut to get back in the fairway (from the right, where my miss is typically) for about 150 yrds.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

It depends a lot on maintenance at a given course. If the greens crew has delimbed the trees back to four feet off the ground, I can use a 6i or 7i hinge-and-hold. Otherwise, amid scraggly treelines, I'll use a 4i... take a smooth 3/4 swing to keep it low, make sure I don't balloon the ball.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Typically I use a 5 iron (I don't trust my ability to use the 4 iron), but depending on the distance I am trying to get to, it could also be a 5 wood or a delofted 8 iron.

Another factor is  how much freedom I have in back backswing. If I can't get the club parallel to the ground (say because of overhanging vegetation or closeness to a tree trunk) on the back swing with a 5 iron, I will probably go to a gripped down 8-9 iron and expect much less from the punch out...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

7 or 8 iron. I like to use a little more loft and hood it, I have hit some amazing get out of jail shots over the years with a hooded 8 iron.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I marked 6i/7i, but it really depends.

7 iron is my go-to to get out of trouble( or now with strong lofted clubs an 8), especially if I don't need to run too far, like straight out into the fairway or short angle without having it run through. If I have the angle to advance up the fairway, or other times when I want more roll, I will use a 4 hybrid.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I usually use my 5 iron. Sometimes it still gets up a bit too high but whenever I try to use my 4iron I hit a worm burner.

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5* S driver
Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Callaway Big Bertha 3-10i, 50* W
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

I voted 4 iron because that is the one I would use most often, but in reality, I'll use whatever seems indicated by the situation.  I've successfully used anything from a severely hooded SW to driver, so 4 iron is just a most often, not an exclusive.  Back in the day my 2 iron would have been my pick, but I haven't had one of them for 15 years.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I've punched out with everything from 3 iron to wedge. It varies depending on lie and situation. If it's lying well and I want to hit it out a long way, I'll use a 3 iron. I can hit that about 6 feet high and with roll get it out close to 200 yards. If I have roots right close to the ball and I have to get a little height on it, I'll use a wedge and hit it softly enough that it gets up and then stays down. Probably won't go very far and I guess it's a stretch to call that a punch out. 

If I'm not hitting it hard or the lie isn't great I can't hit 5 iron or it gets caught up in the rough right in front of me. Typically I can get my 6 iron up in that situation, but if it's very gnarly then I might use an 8 iron to be sure. I don't have a club that I think "oh it's a  punch out situation, I'll hit my 6 iron". That said, I think 6 iron is probably the answer to the spirit of the question.

Mostly my 6 iron.  I feel like I can control the trajectory well enough with it.  If I have to go REALLY low I never use anything lower than a 5-iron.  I've tried a 4-iron and, more times than not, run it too low and didn't hit the shot I wanted.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Choked up 3 wood. 

Right @NCGolfer?  ;-)

Usually a 5 iron if I have to keep it low.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

6 or 7 iron. I generally have a higher ball flight so I have to make a couple adjustments but I don't really feel comfortable punching with anything longer. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

3 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

Choked up 3 wood. 

Right @NCGolfer?  ;-)

Usually a 5 iron if I have to keep it low.

That was not my first choice...but I did the right thing like a good caddie would and supported you when I knew you were committed to hitting that shot.  :-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

That was not my first choice...but I did the right thing like a good caddie would and supported you when I knew you were committed to hitting that shot.  :-)

It was the shot I told him to hit, so I was being a good caddie in knowing what my player was capable of doing and encouraging him to follow The Rule. :-D

I mean, he'd have had to miss the line pretty badly to hit those trees.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!