IGNORED

What is Your Punch-Out Club?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Punch Shot Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you use when you have to punch out from the trees (and keep the ball under the low branches)?

• Driver
    • Fairway Wood
    • Hybrid
    • 4I or 5I
    • 6I or 7I
    • 8I or 9I

32 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

That was not my first choice

Not mine either. I was thinking punch 5 iron but....

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

It was the shot I told him to hit

I always listened to my captain (for the most part). Plus he sounded so confident so 3w is was. :-)

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I put 5 iron but I would not say I consistently use the same club.  It depends on the lie, angle and how far I'm trying to punch out.  If I'm only going sideways I will use a sand or pitching wedge.  It also depends a lot on how low the trees are.  We have trees here with branches that start 20 feet in the air and some pine trees that go all the way to the ground. 

so, bottom line... "it depends" would be my non-answer answer. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

• Administrator
9 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

Not mine either. I was thinking punch 5 iron but....

I always listened to my captain (for the most part). Plus he sounded so confident so 3w is was. :-)

Yeah, look what happened! Good things!

:-D :smartass:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Situation dependent but normal rule of thumb is a 3 iron. Depends on whether there is grass to cut through or not. The more grass and deeper the ball is buried the more lofted club I need

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I prefer the 6I.  However I have used a lot of clubs to "punch out" depending upon the lie and how much clearance, in three dimensions, I have to get back to the short grass.  

Butch

Depends on how low the trees are. I can hit a 5 iron that doesn't get too much higher than my knees or waist, if need be, and a 6 iron that goes to about head height. If the branches I'm keeping it under are higher I'll take less club, assuming the lesser club will be both low enough to get under the tree and long enough to get to my target. 

When in doubt though, my rule with punch shots is that the primary objective is to keep the ball from hitting the thing I'm trying to go below. If I hit the branch I'm punching out underneath, it's an automatic failure. Anything beyond getting under the obstacle and out of trouble is a bonus, things like hitting it the proper distance or on the perfect line.

19* Hybrid for anything over 100 yards that must stay below 10 feet.  I can do it with my 4 or 5 iron, but I can shape the punch with the hybrid fairly easily, where I don't have the same results using my irons.  If its inside 100 then I go with anything from a 4-8 iron, depending on how low it needs to be, how hard i need it to roll, etc.  4 iron is really good for staying barely off the ground and allows a lot of roll out.  My 6 is probably what I use most of if need to punch something into the side of a hill and try to pop it up on the green.  Anything lower than a 6 is usually used to try to simulate a regular shot in terms of roll out, but when I don't think I can use the usual club due to it needing to start lower.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Ive played with high handicaps and have seen a repeating pattern of when they try to hit an iron low under a branch it's the only time they make proper impact.

For me it depends on the shot.  Sometimes I like a 23 hybrid with a choked down pitch swing if it's called for.

If it's  just 20 or 30 feet into the fairway, a 7 iron.

Most of the  time a 5 wood.

I can get a good running shot  that'll  dribble  up to 80 yards.

Best description would  be a long hard putt  stroke. 

4 Iron.  Played back in the stance and delofted probably doesn't go more than 7-8 feet off the ground and if I have a decent look at the green, it's good for a ~100 yard approach depending on how much roll the hole's setup will let me get.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

It used to be my 6iron but I dropped it this year for a 6hybrid.  

I use the 6hybrid now.  Just play it back in my stance a little and hit my typical punch shot.  

Unfortunately, I struggle if I need to hit a low hook with the hybrid whereas with the 6iron...it was no problem at all. 

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 1 month later...

There are a few factors that go into that decision. Distance from the green, how low are the tree branches, how much fairway do I have to work with, are their any hazards in front of me? I generally use a 3 iron if the branches a real low. But if there is enough clearance and I am not to far from the green I would rather use a 6 iron. I really hate it when there is a water hazard between me and the green and I have to punch out from the trees. Thats a hole other  can of worms and a few anxious moments.

• 1 year later...

Sorry dumb question here.   Obviously I am not an overly experienced golfer so go easy on me here.  I have a 4 iron in my bag and it is only used for punching out.  How different is a 4 hybrid from a 4i or how would it be different at punching out?  

I would think if it was somewhat similar he hybrid would be able to be utilized more frequently.  

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Sorry dumb question here.   Obviously I am not an overly experienced golfer so go easy on me here.  I have a 4 iron in my bag and it is only used for punching out.  How different is a 4 hybrid from a 4i or how would it be different at punching out?  

I would think if it was somewhat similar he hybrid would be able to be utilized more frequently.  

The hybrid will launch a bit higher in both full shots and punch outs.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!