IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

newport_cup_banner_2017.png

Newport-Cup_2017-Final.pngJust thought I'd start a thread for the 2017 Newport Cup.

The time of year is going to be a bit different because I'm tied up from the middle of August to about the 10th of October with the Penn-State Behrend men's and women's golf teams.

By mid-October, daylight becomes a small issue. We're going to shoot for the Pinehurst or possibly Myrtle Beach area. @mvmac has a friend in the Pinehurst area (and a kid in college nearby), so that area may work (average low is 50°, average high is 72°). @NCGolfer is not far from the area, too, and may be able to facilitate a little bit. We've even held a previous version of the Newport Cup there. Sunrise and sunset is about 7:30am and 6:30pm. That's 11 hours of golf daylight. It's tight, but doable IF we can find a course that's amenable to our play.

The typical schedule is to play two rounds on Thursday, two on Friday, and have the finals on Saturday. This leaves Sunday open as a travel day (or a day for Mike and I to actually play golf!). We won't have any factory tours or anything like we did in 2015 since… there is not a nice cluster of manufacturers right there in the area (maybe in 2019 we'll have it near the TaylorMade/Titleist/Callaway/etc. hotbed in SoCal).

So, tentatively…

October 19-21 in the Pinehurst area of North Carolina is looking like the way to go. Players may wish to fly in on the 18th or even the evening of the 17th. I'm sure we can find something to do on the 18th. ;-) And fly out late on the 21st, or ideally, any time during the day on the 22nd. You could miss as little as one work day (though the west coasters would probably miss at least part of Wednesday).

Six-man teams, again - any more than three tee times and it's going to be tough to fit it into the daylight we have, anyway. Same formats, too, though for speed of play reasons it may make sense to play foursomes in the morning with the fourball in the afternoon, and singles on Saturday. Disc golf on Sunday. :-)

If we can pull it off, I may even get little Newport Cups for each member of the winning team. And a new Newport Cup, since the old one is broken (though it was repaired beautifully by @Club Rat).

Teams? I'd still like to keep them at 6 as I said, and again have single digit players. Players who played in the first edition certainly have an "in" but captains would be free to pick all new teams, too, if they wanted.

If you're interested (you should probably be a 15 or lower index right now with the cutoff to being a single digit player being around August 15), please post in this thread and choose the "follow" option to receive notifications (email or site notifications), or just follow the thread, and we'll post updates from here on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned and featured this topic
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will tentatively toss my hat in the ring and see how things develop. No doubt there are many better and/or more deserving TST members out there but if it works out and a 12th player is needed, then maybe there will be a spot for an old guy.

Brian Kuehn

I'd love to participate again. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I am definitely interested :-)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm certainly interested.  My only foreseeable possible snag is that it's getting close to my anniversary (Oct 27th), and this year is our 10th, and we are starting to plan a trip to London and Paris.

I would love to be in it again if picked. Also, since I am only about 4 hours drive away I can be there Tuesday night for any 'prep' help needed.

Vishal S.

This would be birthday golf for me. Hope to make the cut!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

As it stands, my family and I will be in Disney that same weekend...what kind of luck is that!!:cry:

If our plans change (or your date changes), I would loved to be considered. Otherwise, I will happily "re-apply" next time.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

It was a tremendous compliment to be invited to play in 2015, and I'd love to be invited for 2017.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'm 100% interested. I had a great time last time. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I'd be interested to play this year. Pinehurst is a great place to stay and play golf.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Definitely interested and would love to join if my work travel permits.  As you mentioned @iacas, I can help facilitate things since I'm close by.  GSO (airport) is next to my work and on the way to Pinehurst so I could help save money on a rental car (or two) as well.

Goes without saying that there is a lot of great golf in the area and a great time of year to be there.  

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I would definitely be interested in participating. 

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I definitely am interested in this. The goal is to play a lot more this year than I did last year and get my game going in the right direction again. I think that I can be a single digit again by the time NC rolls around.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

If we're able to do this, the cut-off for being a single digit handicapper will probably be around the middle of August.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!