Jack Watson

Vintage Equipment Event for the PGA Tour?

Would you watch a vintage equipment required PGA event?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

On 10/16/2017 at 5:58 PM, Jack Watson said:

I like the idea and I believe the players would LOVE it.

On 10/16/2017 at 7:46 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

That's a point! I'd enjoy watching today's players trying to hand hickory shafted clubs and featheries, or even Gutta Perchas! That would be all kinds of fun! But I don't think you'd get too many at the top of the money list to sign up.

It would be fun especially if they wore period clothing as well.

This could be a fun event to watch.

Interesting tidbits:

http://www.hickorygolf.com/

https://www.hickorygolfers.com/

http://www.newsmax.com/DealHudson/club-golf-hickory/2017/04/27/id/786853/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, joro said:

Damn, it was't that bad.   You guys talk like they used a rock on the end of a tree branch.

Well some people have this idea that the golfers of yore had mythical ballstriking powers that can never be equalled by contemporary players, so I can only assume rock on a stick is what they used ;-)

11 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It would be fun especially if they wore period clothing as well.

This might mean none of the players with apparel sponsorships could play.

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Or, they could possibly be convinced to make clothing just for this type of event? They hire some tailors to custom make something and put their modern logo on it. :-D

Coach asks "if they had to play with persimmon and the old balata balls, would they still be able to do it?"

No. Because we were taught to knock off spin and the new balls don’t spin a whole hell of a lot. They go a lot further and a lot straighter but they don’t spin. Well, now these guys, let’s say Bubba Watson, who curves the ball a ton with these harder balls. If he played a balata it might be coming back at him. Like a complete boomerang.

Tiger's not a fan.

Realizes players would have to make massive changes and that they "couldn't do it."

On 10/18/2017 at 9:50 AM, billchao said:

Well some people have this idea that the golfers of yore had mythical ballstriking powers that can never be equalled by contemporary players, so I can only assume rock on a stick is what they used ;-)

If they  still had the Wood and Balata they would still be good.     A stick and a rock, now that is funny..

Would be interesting to watch a foursome for about ... 3 holes.

You can't make it too serious or players would not do it - but if it's a fun exhibition? Okay. Not enough holes to screw up their game.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Here's twist on the original idea. Take one hole, a short and relatively easy par 3. The hole that immediately springs to my mind is the "stadium" par 3 at the Waste Management Open. It's a circus anyway!

Have a selection of hickories and featheries at the tee. Choose your weapon. You'd have a chance to figure out which one to hit during the practice rounds.Have a selection of hickory wedges and Calamity Jane putters at the green! All for fun, and maybe promise a big donation to a charity the player's choice for a hole in one.

54 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Here's twist on the original idea. Take one hole, a short and relatively easy par 3. The hole that immediately springs to my mind is the "stadium" par 3 at the Waste Management Open. It's a circus anyway!

Have a selection of hickories and featheries at the tee. Choose your weapon. You'd have a chance to figure out which one to hit during the practice rounds.Have a selection of hickory wedges and Calamity Jane putters at the green! All for fun, and maybe promise a big donation to a charity the player's choice for a hole in one.

Yeah, let's just throw out the Rules of Golf for one hole.

And… players would not want to do that.