Jump to content
nevets88

About 1/3 of tour players chose Mizuno if no sponsor

Recommended Posts

Only 30 players across PGA and Euro Tour were asked. I guess that's enough of a sample space. Always dubious of these polls though. And TaylorMade placed above Titleist?

GW-4.jpg

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/blog/mizuno-irons-most-popular-in-anonymous-tour-player-survey/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

The sample size it´s small. 32% over 30 players it´s just 10 players. If they intencionally ask most players that they know they will choose mizuno the numbers will be twisted in they favor quickly.
If the study will be performed by titleist, im sure the numbers and the interviewed players will be a lot different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 is too small a sample. Not taking anything away from Mizuno, but saying Tour pros prefer Mizuno while only interviewing 30 guys makes for easily disputable statistics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like my Miuria's and Ping's but really enjoy the look and feel of my Mizuno MP67's the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Only 30 players across PGA and Euro Tour were asked. I guess that's enough of a sample space. Always dubious of these polls though. And TaylorMade placed above Titleist?

GW-4.jpg

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/blog/mizuno-irons-most-popular-in-anonymous-tour-player-survey/

I like Mizuno, but as others have mentioned, the polling is suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I seem to recall Faldo saying years ago that if there were no sponsorships they all would be playing Mizuno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, VOX said:

I seem to recall Faldo saying years ago that if there were no sponsorships they all would be playing Mizuno.

....says the guy sponsored by Mizuno.  :-)

I'm also suspect of the polls.  Titleist and TaylorMade are the main sponsor on tour so if you're asking either of them what they would play they aren't going to say the other "big" sponsor...you pick the smaller, but solid option.

Disclosure:  I play Mizuno irons.  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess I'm a little surprised more guys didn't choose Titleist, because Mizuno woods are pretty meh. But they definitely make great irons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, jamo said:

I guess I'm a little surprised more guys didn't choose Titleist, because Mizuno woods are pretty meh. But they definitely make great irons.

The title of the website is "Mizuno Irons most popular...."

I wonder if the question was more implied to be irons, not a full set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, jamo said:

I guess I'm a little surprised more guys didn't choose Titleist, because Mizuno woods are pretty meh. But they definitely make great irons.

Suppose if you dont get the clubs as part of a sponsorship deal you'd go for the best yet cost effective club. Maybe many guys see that a Mizuno. For me if money was no object it would be Titleist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

I like my Miuria's and Ping's but really enjoy the look and feel of my Mizuno MP67's the best!

Haven't seen you for a while, welcome back and geez multisets?

35 minutes ago, jamo said:

I guess I'm a little surprised more guys didn't choose Titleist, because Mizuno woods are pretty meh. But they definitely make great irons.

I really like my Mizzy 3 wood I got this year and enjoyed trying out the JPX 900 irons. I would really consider the MP 18s this spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, NM Golf said:

30 is too small a sample. Not taking anything away from Mizuno, but saying Tour pros prefer Mizuno while only interviewing 30 guys makes for easily disputable statistics.

 

18 hours ago, billchao said:

I like Mizuno, but as others have mentioned, the polling is suspect.

Or the other possibility is that all the rest of the players have sponsorship with a club maker, and the 30% of the few who didn't have sponsorship, chose Mizuno.

 

 

13 hours ago, VOX said:

I seem to recall Faldo saying years ago that if there were no sponsorships they all would be playing Mizuno.

The clubs look nice and the technology is in the extensive design research rather than patching up different materials together. That simplicity possibly appeals to many people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

51 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Haven't seen you for a while, welcome back and geez multisets?

I really like my Mizzy 3 wood I got this year and enjoyed trying out the JPX 900 irons. I would really consider the MP 18s this spring.

What up VG??  Been a crazy year!  Not getting out as much as I like but still hitting it.

I have tons of clubs.... sometimes people just give me sets.  I just got a set of X20 irons the other day when a friend upgraded.  Still in good shape.  Put them in my collection and soon I will need a whole room for all my sticks, bags, balls and other golf related goodies.

I like to try all the brands and get used sets of my favs.  My Mizunos are top of my list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Or the other possibility is that all the rest of the players have sponsorship with a club maker, and the 30% of the few who didn't have sponsorship, chose Mizuno.

What? No. The article says they polled 30 players anonymously and one of the questions asked was what irons would they use if sponsorship wasn't a consideration.

You don't need to ask players without club sponsorships what clubs they would use....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

What? No. The article says they polled 30 players anonymously and one of the questions asked was what irons would they use if sponsorship wasn't a consideration.

You don't need to ask players without club sponsorships what clubs they would use....

So, If I asked a Tour player who is sponsored by TM for example, what club he'd prefer to use, I'd think I'd get an answer like TM and not Mizuno? Just a thought. . .

Edited by Lihu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

So, If I asked a Tour player who is sponsored by TM for example, what club he'd prefer to use, I'd think I'd get an answer like TM and not Mizuno? Just a thought. . .

In an anonymous poll? There aren't many reasons to lie.

These guys play certain brands because they're paid to. Maybe they feel their sponsor produces the best clubs for their game, maybe they don't but play them because the price is right, so they must think another brand of clubs would suit them better. That's kind of the point of the poll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another thing the article noted was that 5 of the top 7 finishers at Dunhill used Mizuno. Interesting to say the least.

I'm not a super fanboy of Mizuno, but they're pretty nice clubs and have a certain feel when you strike them that's pretty nice.

Quote

“I remember when Mizuno irons were by far the most played on both tours,” commented 6 time major winner Nick Faldo.  “Before it was a pure money game, you would see 20 to 30 sets in play every week strictly by player’s choice.  Mizuno irons were chosen and dominated the tour for at least a decade.”

“The recent changes in the equipment market and changing philosophy in large player marketing contracts, has shown that player’s haven’t changed.  When given an open choice, players still feel the difference with Mizuno.  Isn’t it nice when what is being represented as the player’s choice has the decency of being true?”

Nick Faldo on the other hand sounds like a fanboy of Mizuno, and I can see and have experienced first hand why. :-)

Edited by Lihu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.