IGNORED

Don't text and drive folks

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A month ago, on the LIE, in the middle of the day, I passed an SUV going slowly in the middle lane, driver looking at smartphone in lap. You can always tell who the smartphone users are, too slow, swerving in the lane. You beep them, they straighten up, go back to their Facebook. Screw you, idiot.

Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting

Amid a historic spike in U.S. traffic fatalities, federal data on the danger of distracted driving are getting worse.

1600x-1.png

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-17/smartphones-are-killing-americans-but-nobody-s-counting

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually think we were far safer when everyone was holding the phone to their ear while driving instead of holding it in their lap and looking down and texting. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yeah, looking down at a smart phone is really dumb. IOS 11.0.2/3 have this "I'm driving" feature. I hope people don't just ignore it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

57 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I actually think we were far safer when everyone was holding the phone to their ear while driving instead of holding it in their lap and looking down and texting. 

I think we were. 

18 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, looking down at a smart phone is really dumb. IOS 11.0.2/3 have this "I'm driving" feature. I hope people don't just ignore it.

Yes, this is a GREAT feature, long overdue

Some people even make Snaps (snapchat) while driving. 

2 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Some people even make Snaps (snapchat) while driving.

OMG, people can't be trusted to drive by themselves, self driving cars are long overdue. . .

These types should just take Lyft or Uber.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I drive 45 minutes each way to work on interstates and see several people ... many people ... every day that just camp in a lane and watch their phone.  I know for a fact that I've seen people watching shows, reading books, face timing, etc.  There are times that I'll slow down and ride beside them for a ways and it's terrifying how long they go without even glancing up.  I don't honk because I fear scaring them into doing something even dumber than what they are already doing. 

I've thought of taking pictures and writing some type of article about it - but of course taking pictures of them would make me just as guilty.

WA state already enacted a law to prohibit distracted driving.  It's a primary offense for having your phone in hand and a secondary offense for eating/drinking while driving.  So the phone can be on the dashboard or in a holder, but once it's in your hand, you can get ticketed.  They won't pull you over for eating, just an additional fine if caught for speeding or something.  I haven't checked to see how well it's doing, but I don't see as many people holding a phone anymore.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

WA state already enacted a law to prohibit distracted driving.  It's a primary offense for having your phone in hand and a secondary offense for eating/drinking while driving.  So the phone can be on the dashboard or in a holder, but once it's in your hand, you can get ticketed.  They won't pull you over for eating, just an additional fine if caught for speeding or something.  I haven't checked to see how well it's doing, but I don't see as many people holding a phone anymore.

Canada has had these laws on the books (at the provincial level) nationwide for several years. Still see a ton of offenders every day. I'd much rather have folks talking on the phone while watching the road than texting while watching their phone. Another example of good intentions leading to a worse situation. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

10 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Canada has had these laws on the books (at the provincial level) nationwide for several years. Still see a ton of offenders every day. I'd much rather have folks talking on the phone while watching the road than texting while watching their phone. Another example of good intentions leading to a worse situation. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Yeah I was driving in Vancouver a couple years ago and didn't know they had that law.  Had my phone in my lap for GPS directions, and dude knocked on my window, scaring the pants off me, at a stop light.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

Yeah I was driving in Vancouver a couple years ago and didn't know they had that law.  Had my phone in my lap for GPS directions, and dude knocked on my window, scaring the pants off me, at a stop light.

Interestingly enough, in Quebec at least, there is a loop hole for using your phone for GPS, which is allowed. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

16 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Canada has had these laws on the books (at the provincial level) nationwide for several years. Still see a ton of offenders every day.

NJ does, too. Same problem.

The law is very hard to enforce.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Lap - GPS: these are everywhere now, for like ~3 USD I use to buy the more expensive ones (or the ones w/magnets), figured they were better, but these el cheapo ones work just as well. If I travel, I just take a bunch of these with me. Or they're usually sold in gas stations.

s-l225.jpg

I don't hesitate to honk these guys anymore. And I'm laying on the horn a lot these days and give them a big stinkeye if I can.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

55 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I don't hesitate to honk these guys anymore. And I'm laying on the horn a lot these days and give them a big stinkeye if I can.

Stinkeye is great. Just watch out for road rage. Oh and that car in front of you that just came to a sudden stop while you were distracted :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

My Android S4 & S7 have had that pop up on text automatically whenever I'm connected to Bluetooth while driving and somebody text's me, been very helpful, indeed. 

Edited by pmack18

28 minutes ago, billchao said:

Stinkeye is great. Just watch out for road rage. Oh and that car in front of you that just came to a sudden stop while you were distracted :-P

I also do the subtle nodding back and forth in disapproval. ;-)

Steve

My wife just got a Prius Four to allow her to use the HOV lanes as a hybrid, and there are two features that may help these idiots text and drive:

1. With cruise control, the thing automatically slows down (even to a complete stop) when your lane slows down, speeds back up to the set speed if it can. Basically, you set a max speed, and it takes care of the rest.

2. An inadvertent lane-crossing detection system that beeps and nudges the wheel if you start to drift across a line without using your blinker.

A texter's dream: just let the car watch your horrible driving!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

My phone has a feature that you can set that disables receiving Text messages when the phone is connected to the Truck's blue tooth.  It automatically sends the message "I am driving and can't receive your message until I arrive" to the sender of any text message.  Nice feature but of course you have to enable it.

Butch

Note: This thread is 2353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!