Hacker James

importance of filming speed

I have read many of the threads regarding filming and speed necessary and realize that a high speed camera is necessary to see what is occurring at impact. My question is, how important is seeing impact?  Realizing this is very subjective. Many have stated that cameras or smart phone filming at even 60 fps are sufficient to observing angles, path, drawing lines and squares using appropriate software, lacking only the ability to slow the speed down enough so there is no blur.

Probably a tough question to answer. I am just trying to decide on an all around  solution for getting the right cell phone and do not wish to spend the money for both that and a high speed camera that would only be used for specific purposes. I have mentioned in other threads about the Motorola G4 which has only a 30fps video capability at normal speed, but does have adjustable shutter speeds and can provide 120 fps at slow motion speed.  I mention it again, as the price is right and the Moto has many of the same features of the higher priced Galaxy. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Hacker James said:

I have read many of the threads regarding filming and speed necessary and realize that a high speed camera is necessary to see what is occurring at impact. My question is, how important is seeing impact? 

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to see if you are turning enough, have enough weight forward, or have a steady head then it is probably a good idea to be able to view impact. If you are looking at clubhead movement in the swing, maybe not as important.

I use a GoPro Hero 4 silver and it has been more than fine for recording video and working with my Evolvr coach. You can get one for pretty cheap too. Using 1080p mine goes up to 60 fps, but the Hero 4 black can go up to 120 fps at 1080p I believe. Models newer than the 4 would definitely work as well but obviously cost more.

I like the small form factor of the GoPro, I currently just use a small "Gorillapod" that I secure to the top of my golf bag and that seems to give me the perfect height to film my swings. When I'm not filming, the camera and Gorillapod fit in the side pocket of my golf bag no problem.

Plus I use the GoPro in my drone and attached to the boat while fishing.

Edited by klineka

iPhones and most other modern smart phones can give 120 and 240 fps. That will do for most needs. 

As @saevel25 mentioned, it depends on what you want to look at. Generally, large flaws like lateral sway are easy to spot even at normal speed, but higher framerate is required if you want to look at more subtle movements in the swing.

34 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to see if you are turning enough, have enough weight forward, or have a steady head then it is probably a good idea to be able to view impact. If you are looking at clubhead movement in the swing, maybe not as important.

Yah, I generally know what I am after and actual clubhead movement while important, is not curcial.

19 minutes ago, klineka said:

I use a GoPro Hero 4 silver and it has been more than fine for recording video and working with my Evolvr coach. You can get one for pretty cheap too. Using 1080p mine goes up to 60 fps, but the Hero 4 black can go up to 120 fps at 1080p I believe. Models newer than the 4 would definitely work as well but obviously cost more.

If it were not for the fact that I am also in need of a cell phone, sounds like that would suffice.

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

As @saevel25 mentioned, it depends on what you want to look at. Generally, large flaws like lateral sway are easy to spot even at normal speed, but higher framerate is required if you want to look at more subtle movements in the swing.

I  also get that, I am not sure of which subtle movements are really necessary. Drawing head boxes, plane lines, provide that info and do not require much speed. 

I guess the query is just too subjective.  I believe most posters such as myself, kind of know what they want, but not necessarily what they need to know.  Its kind of like seeking affirmation of something you already know or suspect.

Oh well.

Thank you very much for your inputs, gives me something to think about.

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

@Hacker James, cell phone is fine. I use mine. 120 is ok, 240 is better.

when you say 120, is that for normal speeds?  The reason I ask, is that in reading the specs on the Moto G4, it states only 30 fps front camera (I think), but in professional mode, you can manually select speed and they say 120 fps in slow motion. It also gives 16 megapixels.

Edited by Hacker James

So I finally caved in and had to replace a cheap cell phone that I lost some weeks ago. The new has a camera of some kind, capable of video of some kind. May have to force my brother to the range to see what the thing can do as far as capturing my magnificent hack. Either way, I'd imagine it won't really be suitable for TST purposes.

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

So I finally caved in and had to replace a cheap cell phone that I lost some weeks ago. The new has a camera of some kind, capable of video of some kind. May have to force my brother to the range to see what the thing can do as far as capturing my magnificent hack. Either way, I'd imagine it won't really be suitable for TST purposes.

ha ha, good luck with that.  I am not really concerned about TST purposes, and do not intend nor have a desire for evolvr. Just need something for self analysis.

9 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

when you say 120, is that for normal speeds?  The reason I ask, is that in reading the specs on the Moto G4, it states only 30 fps front camera (I think), but in professional mode, you can manually select speed and they say 120 fps in slow motion. It also gives 16 megapixels.

Slow motion, yes.

What application that you guys are using for record and analyzing video?

I am using V1 but the in app camera is not good and when I try to import the video I shot using my phone camera ( samsung galaxy note) it is just too big and often crashed.

The better the player, the more higher framerates helps.

I have some players where at 240 FPS we're looking at two or three frames. You'd completely miss those if you were recording at even 60 FPS.

Gross errors, like those made by higher handicappers, don't require as high an FPS typically.