IGNORED

Poll: How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can You Manage During a Scoring Round?

Midpack
Note: This thread is 2280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can/Do You Manage ON COURSE?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can/Do You Manage ON COURSE?

• Zero on course, swing thoughts are for practice only
    • ONE, more than that and I'm not consistent
    • TWO, more than that and I'm not consistent
    • THREE or more

I voted one swing thought. I also try to make that thought simple and not verily mechanical. Sometimes I get a little too detailed with it and I start “practicing” during a round. Other times I get too simple and just start whacking at it with no real plan or focus...that’s when rounds get bad lol. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The other day I went out and practiced long game on the range with a friend.  It’s been a couple months.

i just sort of hone in on my senses and target and swing.  

Range or course same thing.

i hit it more crisp for me playing less!

of course I am a kinda short knocker but still...

IMO most golfers could improve by better sensory concentration and less thoughts...

For me,  the more I play the more likely I am to try to extend my limits and lose my start line

Edited by Jack Watson
  • Like 1

As a new golfer when I started there would be about 20 things that would go through my head before and during a swing.  Head down, shift weight, left wrist straight, turn from the hips.....  My instructor told me to pick one thing for each practice session and just work on that.  I first chose keeping my head down and steady - surprise this corrected 2 of my major swing issues, lifting my body up on my back swing and lifting my head immediately upon ball strike.

right now, it's technically 3, but one that's important and never more than two at a time.  

When I make a full turn and get my hands deep enough, all of my path issues self-correct (for the most part).  So the important thought is make a full turn, which i think about with all clubs. 

With my Driver I have a tendency to leave the face open and block shots to the right. So, with the Driver I think about a smooth, natural release.  

Don't have the problem with the irons.  As a matter of fact I close down the face too early.  So with the irons I think, hit the inside of the ball.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 1/12/2018 at 8:31 PM, Jack Watson said:

IMO most golfers could improve by better sensory concentration and less thoughts...

^^^I suspect this is true.. but I'm not quite there yet. I voted two swing thoughts. I'd love to get to on one (1) swing thought. 

I've painstakingly ingrained a big part of the golf swing, but important parts of it are still a conscious exercise. 

In all seriousness, and ignoring my lame attempt at humor in a previous post, I have one swing thought per shot.  It may be staying behind the ball, or maintaining balance, or any number of things.  Each pass presents its own challenges and no one particular thought (for me) is sufficient for all.  That said; most concern both balance and tempo.  One rarely encounters a flat, driving range type lie, and accommodations have to be made...mentally and physically.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

For full swing it is typically two (one backswing and one downswing). For chipping and putting it is typically one.

More than one thought and it becomes one big mess for me. 

My focus is to have zero thoughts when I swing as this is when I hit my best shots. 

Ironically, my long game really improved when my golf coach told me to spend as little time as possible on the range. 

My teammates at college was always surprised at how I could spend so little time at the range when I was the best striker on the team. 

Not sure if this counts as a "swing thought" but I usually will make a couple practice swings and when it feels right, I step up and think "hit it with that practice swing". Not sure if that's feel or an actual swing thought.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Note: This thread is 2280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!