IGNORED

Rules official resigns over ...rules issue.

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/major-rules-controversy-leads-officials-resignation/

So once again a Major (albeit a smaller tour) decided to be cut to 54 holes this time over a disagreement on rules enforcement controversy. Poor decision IMO. The players broke a rule but complained and threatened to withdraw if enforced? Take a look and see what you think. Total loss of credibility on behalf of tournament officials and poor sportsmanship by the players overall I feel.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Those players that threatened to resign should have been allowed, nay, encouraged to do so.  I'm sure there would have been plenty of players who would have been pleased to continue with the resulting smaller field!

I'm curious to see the greens, but regardless of any potential ambiguity in differentiating the putting surface from the fringe, the rules must be applied.  When in doubt, either err on the side of safety and don't lift your ball, or ask a rules official for a ruling.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

54 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Those players that threatened to resign should have been allowed, nay, encouraged to do so.  I'm sure there would have been plenty of players who would have been pleased to continue with the resulting smaller field!

I'm curious to see the greens, but regardless of any potential ambiguity in differentiating the putting surface from the fringe, the rules must be applied.  When in doubt, either err on the side of safety and don't lift your ball, or ask a rules official for a ruling.

Yes. Imagine if DJ had complained and threatened to withdraw after being told he grounded his club in the ambiguous bunker. LOL. Bye DJ. I know this is a 'side tour' but nonetheless I feel it's still responsible to uphold the rules of golf. I just can't believe the final decision was to erase the scores for that day! Lousy decision there.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Wow...I can't believe they came to that decision.  

Yeah, pretty chickencrap IMO! Admittedly, I've never seen the course, but I've played a lot of golf and never had a problem differentiating the fringe from the "closely mowed putting surface"! Penalize the violators and let the chips fall where they may.

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yeah, pretty chickencrap IMO! Admittedly, I've never seen the course, but I've played a lot of golf and never had a problem differentiating the fringe from the "closely mowed putting surface"! Penalize the violators and let the chips fall where they may.

Yes, it would not be the first time. Remember Dustin Johnson in the US Open? It was a bunker, no it was not a bunker.

13 minutes ago, CCC said:

Yes, it would not be the first time. Remember Dustin Johnson in the US Open? It was a bunker, no it was not a bunker.

Yes. Remember the post 3 above yours? Lol.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, CCC said:

Yes, I do. It bears repeating.

What does?

Also, of course, it doesn't bear repeating if it's off topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Todays players, both male and female are a bunch of self centered spoiled brats who make too much money, ignore the rules, especially the time guidelines, ignore warnings and do what they want.    Look at Spieth, he takes more time than normal, doesn't care, ignores warnings, and is always on the clock.    Just one example but he is never penalized, why?    He is just one of many.   Now I see his friend Thomas is following suit.

I remember a PGA event (maybe a major, can't really remember) where there was an issue as to boundary between green and fringe. If I recall correctly, players were encouraged to get a playing partner or even a ruling from an official if they couldn't tell if they were on the green.
Not agreeing with the players or the ruling, but how "poorly" is the course prepared if they cannot tell where the green is and where the fringe is?

Players play, tough players win!

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I remember a PGA event (maybe a major, can't really remember) where there was an issue as to boundary between green and fringe. If I recall correctly, players were encouraged to get a playing partner or even a ruling from an official if they couldn't tell if they were on the green.
Not agreeing with the players or the ruling, but how "poorly" is the course prepared if they cannot tell where the green is and where the fringe is?

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Good point Wally, the rules are hard to enforce when there is no obvious boundary.    The Dustin Johnson thing was the worst I have ever seen and the explanation that is was well defined and posted for all to see was nothing but a attempt to justify what the powers in hand did to DJ.    When they allow people to walk and stand in what they call a "Sand Trap" they are good candidates for Densa.    That was nothing but taking the Championship away from him.      This LPGA thing is no different and should have been handled differently by the both parties.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, joro said:

Good point Wally, the rules are hard to enforce when there is no obvious boundary.    The Dustin Johnson thing was the worst I have ever seen and the explanation that is was well defined and posted for all to see was nothing but a attempt to justify what the powers in hand did to DJ.    When they allow people to walk and stand in what they call a "Sand Trap" they are good candidates for Densa.    That was nothing but taking the Championship away from him.      This LPGA thing is no different and should have been handled differently by the both parties.

Let’s not rehash the DJ thing. The players knew all sandy areas were bunkers. On a course with that many, some 100 yards from the center of the fairway, spectators were bound to be in them.

DJ isn’t the sharpest tack.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Let’s not rehash the DJ thing. The players knew all sandy areas were bunkers. On a course with that many, some 100 yards from the center of the fairway, spectators were bound to be in them.

DJ isn’t the sharpest tack.

Ha ha ha, that is a great reply, brilliant.    "spectators were bound to be in them"    lol

I would really like to see a picture of the greens and fringe at this course. Every article I've seen doesn't have a picture. I feel like normally it's pretty obvious. For 6 players to mess it up is very strange. 

And I wish the articles would explain why the rules official resigned. Was it because she screwed up or because she did not agree with how this tour handled it?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I haven't seen images of the greens in question either, but I seem to recall that some time ago on the men's tour (perhaps it was in Europe?), the distinction between green and fringe was very difficult to make and they had blue dots of some kind, spaced out every so many feet, at the boundary...

Either way, I can't believe so many players would be so careless if they couldn't tell where the boundary was, and that the decision to drop the first round scores was taken as a result. SMH.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Yeah I’ve searched for pics as well. Does seem odd that six players made the same error. Must be a ‘section’ of the green where it was ambiguous and I guess those six players were all in that particular section. @iacas, had a rules official came and looked at the area and realized it wasn’t very clear where the green border was could he/she had declared this? I assume since penalties were given somebody knew where the border was? Obviously if a player wasn’t sure he/she should’ve asked but I’m wondering if it was so unclear that the players had no doubt they were on the green? Hopefully some pictures will surface.

Note: This thread is 2367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!