Jump to content
gregsandiego

Do you leave the range early if you are hitting well ?

Recommended Posts

I know I do. If I hit 50 balls without a serious crap shot I'm outta there - in hopes against hope that the feeling will stay and carry over to my next round.

On bad days I go up and get the 2nd bucket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

3 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I know I do. If I hit 50 balls without a serious crap shot I'm outta there - in hopes against hope that the feeling will stay and carry over to my next round.

On bad days I go up and get the 2nd bucket.

I'm never outta there after 50 balls...  because I just buy a 35 ball bucket.  There is a case that what you do is the opposite of what you should.  Why stick around and "practice" hitting them badly?  When you're hitting them well then buy a second bucket to get more experience with the good swing feeling.  OTOH perhaps you want to practice figuring out whats wrong and righting the ship for when that happens in a round.  Who knows what's best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, allenc said:

I'm never outta there after 50 balls...  because I just buy a 35 ball bucket.  There is a case that what you do is the opposite of what you should.  Why stick around and "practice" hitting them badly?  When you're hitting them well then buy a second bucket to get more experience with the good swing feeling.  OTOH perhaps you want to practice figuring out whats wrong and righting the ship for when that happens in a round.  Who knows what's best?

Probably you are right, especially when hitting badly. When hitting good I'm worried I'll go off the rail again and "lose the feel".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, I leave. The other day I set up 3, practice chip shots, to three different holes. Made all three of them. Picked up my gear, went to the club house, and had a couple of beers. 

I never mess with being lucky.....:beer:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Patch said:

Oh yeah, I leave. The other day I set up 3, practice chip shots, to three different holes. Made all three of them. Picked up my gear, went to the club house, and had a couple of beers. 

I never mess with being lucky.....:beer:

 

 

I notice you're from Nevada. That sounds like betting strategy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I usually only hit balls before posting, I do leave early if I'm loose and hitting it well. If those two conditions are meet, I'm more than ready to play. I usually only hit a couple wedges, a couple mid irons, a few long irons, a few 3 woods, and some drives anyways when I visit the range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When warming up for a round, yes. If I go through what clubs I want to warm up with and I'm hitting them all well, I'll leave balls. 

If I'm just practicing, I won't ever leave a ball. I might change what I spend time on if I'm hitting the ball well, but that's it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

When warming up for a round, yes. If I go through what clubs I want to warm up with and I'm hitting them all well, I'll leave balls. 

When I'm practicing, I'll leave a few.   I always want to end with success so if I am happy with the 3rd from the last ball, I'll leave two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

When I'm practicing, I'll leave a few.   I always want to end with success so if I am happy with the 3rd from the last ball, I'll leave two.  

My ideal as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will do so once in a blue moon, but reality always kicks you in the face coming back. Will leave a ball or two behind as a gift to the golf gods once in a while in hope they will be kindly when a good bounce is needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I know I do. If I hit 50 balls without a serious crap shot I'm outta there - in hopes against hope that the feeling will stay and carry over to my next round.

Not a bad idea. I do the same.

 

23 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

On bad days I go up and get the 2nd bucket.

Leave no matter what. "Run Forrest, run."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I'm playing a round, I get our small bucket, which is usually around 25-28 balls. I generally go up the order, PW-7I-5I-4H-5H-3W-1W and then down to SW. I'll sometimes go back if I felt I struggled with one. All get hit and then I'm off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I just go to the range, I have specific things I want to work on. Sometimes I hit a small bucket (30 balls) or sometimes I hit a large bucket. I usually work on at least two things.

When I'm warming up for a round, I'll do some dynamic stretches, hit some chip shots, then hit most of a small bucket. I'm using the balls to practice my set-up - by the numbers - and see if I have any quirks for the day (i.e., a push instead of a draw). If I'm in the golf zone - playing a couple of times a week - I may stop after 15 full shots if I feel good and start putting early.

Edited by WUTiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, dennyjones said:

When I'm practicing, I'll leave a few.   I always want to end with success so if I am happy with the 3rd from the last ball, I'll leave two.  

I do the same thing...leave a couple if I'm hitting it good and done doing what I wanted to do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No for two reasons.

1. I think you need to be able to deal with bad shots and/or dissapointment so if my last balls are crap shots them so bit it, thats just life.

2. If i spend £4 on a large basket im going to get my money's worth! :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, RussUK said:

No for two reasons.

1. I think you need to be able to deal with bad shots and/or dissapointment so if my last balls are crap shots them so bit it, thats just life.

2. If i spend £4 on a large basket im going to get my money's worth! :-D

Really? That's kind of ending the meal with a bad taste in your mouth. Or going to bed angry. Or (a million other metaphors....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Really? That's kind of ending the meal with a bad taste in your mouth. Or going to bed angry. Or (a million other metaphors....)

Not for me. If i duff my last few balls its just a case of "well they didnt go as planned, not a problem". I didnt used to be like that. I'd bring old balls with me so i could finish on a good shot but i feel, for me, doing that doesnt benefit me. Its a personnal kind of thing.

If i've had a really good session then a few bad shots isnt the end of the world.

I generally finish with pitches so there is less chance of finishing with a duff but if i do then its no biggie. Best to make the mistakes  in dress rehersal than on the night.

I do agree with not going to bed angry though, never good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.