IGNORED

DeadMan and PhillyK Play Pinehurst No. 2

DeadMan
Note:Β This thread is 2362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

@phillykΒ and I played Pinehurst #2 this morning after playing in the Newport Cup. We're going to have a little write up and everything when we get back in front of computers. But I wanted to post a little preview for you all:

IMG_3120.JPG

More to follow in the next few days...

Edited by DeadMan
  • Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My preview, yeah I’m not supposed to be in the pinestraw but I wanted the full experience.Β ;-)

F15DA4CC-CABB-4C8F-B5D7-3E88DF50FE93.jpeg

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

2 minutes ago, mchepp said:

Eagerly awaiting the pics! I fully expect Payne Stewart poses on the 18th green.

Escaped our minds unfortunately. I think we were both annoyed after making bogey. You won't be surprised that I 3 putted from ~25 feet after roping a 7 iron into that green.Β 

-- Daniel

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

I play there this Saturday. I play #8 on Friday. Looking forward to it, give me some tips!

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Looking forward to the write up. Definitely on my bucket list.Β 

MattΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β My Swing

Β 

Β :ping:Β G425 MaxΒ Driver

SubΒ 70Β 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

SubΒ 70 004 Mallet

4 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I play there this Saturday. I play #8 on Friday. Looking forward to it, give me some tips!

Play for the middle of the green each and every hole. No exceptions. The worst thing you could do is short side yourself. I’ll do the full write up tomorrow at work.Β :whistle:

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 

5 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Avoid the greenside bunkers at all costs. If you end up in one, strongly consider playing at the center of the green instead of at the flag. And by strongly consider, I mean do that unless you're 100% sure you can pull off the shot without ending in another greenside bunker.Β 

-- Daniel

I'll start with my scorecard and talk about the course, then start uploading some pictures and videos. Β 

Dan, ( @DeadManΒ ) and I started off on #10. Β For most of the course, the fairways were wide and the brush was not terribly thick. Β But, if you got stuck behind or in one of those puffs of grass, you are screwed. Β The greens are, generally, really small. Β If you go for and hit the center of the green on every hole, you would have no more than a 30ft putt.

After 90 holes of golf at the Newport Cup, Dan and I were tired. Β It only showed its teeth when we got out onto the course. Β The adrenaline of playing No 2 was high on the range. Β A beautiful morning fog dense enough that you could only see your PW land. Β I started out well enough on Hole 10, a par 5. Β Driver was hooking but playable, so I had 4 GIR through the first 4 holes giving me easy pars. Β #14 I missed the green just short right, but it was an easy up and down, because I had enough green to work with and spin the ball a bit. Β 

Then we got our first glimpse at a par 3 and the craziness of some slopes on these greens. Β I chunked my 7iron short, chipped up but fell down and off the green. Β Putted instead and barely got it to the top of the slope and 2 putted from there. Β Stupid double.

The next hole, though was a short par 5. Β Took driver and hooked it again, but I played for it and ended in the FW. Β 3 wood brought my pin high left, but in a bunker. Β I somehow hit a really good bunker shot to give me an up and down for birdie.

The hole after, another brutal par 3. Β Into the wind and I blocked it out right and into a bunker. Β I hit the bunker shot 1ft too far, it spun hard but not hard enough. Β Down the opposite end of the green and slope. Β Ended up with another double.Β 

Now onto the famous 18th holeΒ and Sunday'sΒ Payne Stewart hole location. Β Hit myΒ drive left, what a surprise, and into the brush. Β Easy lie but i wanted to attack the pin, not knowing what lies rightΒ of the green (stupid me). Β I left the ballΒ down a slope and near a bunker. Β No chance of getting it close because of the slope. Β 2 putt bogey.

Holes 1-3 are a little easier with the greens and hole layouts, #3 I thought I hit a perfect approach, but ended up short. Β So, started the back 9 with 3 pars.Β 

Hole 4 is a LONG par 4, 475yds from the blue tees (OH, btw, blues are the "tips," the course won't let you play from the US Open tees; there are markers for them but no tees). Β I pushed my drive right after getting too annoyed with my hook. Β And for the first time this round, I ended up behind that fluff of grass in the crap. Β I had gotten lucky all day up to that point. No chance to hit at the green. Β Ended up with my first 6 of the round (there went my chance at a no 6 round at Pinehurst).

Hole 5 is another short par 5, and I hook the drive again. Β Lucky I stayed in normal crap with a full swing but I skull my 2nd from 185yds to a greenΒ side bunker. Β  Could only get par from there.

Next hole is our longest par 3 of the day, and somehow both us of us hit good tee shots and got our par. Β Dan was a couple feet from going over the green and ruining that chance at par.

Hole 7 was my best hole of the day tee to green. Β The only real dogleg on the course, had 275yds or so to clear the FW bunkers. Β I hit my 3w PERFECT. Β Gosh I should've been using it all day. Β Striped it 290yds just over those FW bunkers to give myself a 100yd 56* wedge. Β I aimed a bit right and put some hard right to left spin on it and used the slope to feed the ball to 5ft away for birdie. Β This green, though, is TOUGH! Dan will tell you, unfortunately, because he had a rough hole. Β I played it well but missed my birdie putt high side.

Hole 8 is another short par 5, but I push my drive right and got lucky again to have a good lie and look at the green. Β But I had to hit a cut from 230yds which I don't like to try with my 3 iron. Β So I took 3 wood and hit it high right, to a bunker just short of the green. Β I hit another great looking bunker shot but this did not have enough spin either and it came spilling down the biggest freakin slope of the day. Β No chance at par anymore, giving me my second 6 of the day.

I was done at this point. Β No energy left for the last par 3. Β Green was inviting, but I pulled my iron left into the green side bunker. Β No spin out of there, and went sailing across and off the green. Β Finished with a double to shoot 81. Β 

4 doubles.... 4. Β UGH! Moral of the story, if you miss the green. Β GO FOR THE SAFE SHOT. Β Do not try the hero save. Β Just put the ball on the green to give yourself a look at par.

Greens rolled around a 12 or 13 I'd say. Β Definitely looked like they could go another 3ft faster too. Β They held more than I thought they would too. Β But the balled rolled perfectly. Β No bumps or anything. Β It was very nice!

I do believe, if I go out again, I could save at least 6 strokes, because of just playing it smarter when near the greens, when you missed the approach shot. Β Also I would, hopefully, be somewhat recovered and hitting my tee shots better, like I was at the Newport Cup.

All in all, just a fantastic experience. Β Like I said earlier, the greens are smallΒ but fair if you can hit the center of them, giving you a look at birdie. Β But, if you try to attack even one pin and miss, you go from par look to double bogeyΒ VERY fast.

We didn't have time to stay at the restaurant overlooking the 18th green, but it is a popular spot for sure. Β The hallway to the pro shop is filled with cool pictures and items from past championships. Β Glad I made time to go.

More pictures to come!

IMG_2609.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Β 

3 minutes ago, phillyk said:

IMG_2609.jpg

Great write up and I'm looking forward to all of the pictures.Β  Just wanted to point out that it's amusing that the US Open tees on hole 8 is 33 yards behind the blue tees and on hole 16 they're 15 yards behind the blue tees and in both cases, you're allowed one less shot to get there! LOL, crazy.

10 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Great write up and I'm looking forward to all of the pictures.Β  Just wanted to point out that it's amusing that the US Open tees on hole 8 is 33 yards behind the blue tees and on hole 16 they're 15 yards behind the blue tees and in both cases, you're allowed one less shot to get there! LOL, crazy.

The starter said that the FW when we played are in growing season. Β So green and growing. Means less roll. Β The FW during that US Open were baked! They could roll for 50+yds sometimes BUT that also meant that they were rolling near the edges of the FW and possibly into the crap. Β They only water the center of the FWs. Β Playing those par 5's that were par 4s for the Open, I could see why they were switched. Β Yeah they were tough, but manageable had I hit driver better.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Β 

Awesome write up,Β I can’t wait to get there this weekend!Β 

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

2 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Awesome write up,Β I can’t wait to get there this weekend!Β 

I assume you play like me with your cap. Like I said in the post, play to the middle of greens. Its awfully tempting, I know, to attack a few pins here and there. So, if you do, just aim a flagstick towards the middle from the pin. You’ll be happy you did when you get to the green.Β 

But most of all, enjoy it! Its a crazy, yet great course!Β 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Β 

Looks stunning. Theres something about a beautiful course and blue sky that i find relaxing.

Great review. We need you to fly over here to do a review of Temple Newsome in Leeds. Its nothing like Pinehurst but you wont get many chances to play a shot off an abondoned matress or avoid kids on quad bikes :-D.

Β 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-(Β 

In the bag: Driver:Β Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator

@DeadMan, if the rule is that they’re through the green, play they that way. Just like at Kiawah Island.

Thanks for the pics.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

@DeadMan, if the rule is that they’re through the green, play they that way. Just like at Kiawah Island.

Thanks for the pics.

Good to know for next time. It didn't feel right to me, given that there were pretty clear delineations between the waste areas and actual bunkers. Still a lot I need to learn about the rules, that's for sure.

-- Daniel

@phillykΒ and @DeadManΒ We can get a caddy for #2 at a discounted rate. Would you say its worth it?

Looks like I will be aiming at the center of the greens when I playΒ there, I can't wait!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!