IGNORED

General Ohio Discussion

CarlSpackler

Note: This thread is 1312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I saw a bunker with bonifide sand on the Falcon. No. 12. My buddy damn near sunk it out of the trap..

Perhaps I should bring more sand back from Florida with me. :-D

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Perhaps I should bring more sand back from Florida with me. :-D

The more the better.

Seriously though they did better this year. No country club stuff of course, but you take what you can get.

Edited by mcanadiens

11 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The more the better.

Seriously though they did better this year. No country club stuff of course, but you take what you can get.

The greens were like trampolines when I played there last spring. It doesn't sound like there is much of a golf season left this year.

7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

The greens were like trampolines when I played there last spring. It doesn't sound like there is much of a golf season left this year.

Kittyhawk has better days and worse days Generally, the trampoline-effect hasn't been as bad as I remember it in the past The bunkers are better (though far from perfect). It was a small step forward this year in general in my opinion. ... Now new pro, as I've mentioned before.

Again. The remainder of the season all depends on your own personal tolerances. I play until the temperature drops below 40. There is a bit to go.

Here I am! Finally figured out I had to join the club in order to reply to a post!

Overall, it's been pretty good this year, although NE OH remains "overbuilt" for golf. We'd gotten used to losing a course or two a year for a little while, but that didn't happen this year. I guess the weak sisters have been weeded out, although I'm sure the owners of those courses didn't consider themselves weak sisters!

Some struggling courses have actually made a comeback. You can read about one of them on the "Golf Courses and Architecture" page in my thread about a beloved old favorite being resurrected. Yet, other courses are still struggling.

As far as the sand issue goes, and considering the expense of maintenance and rebuilding, I'm surprised that more courses don't just establish turf grass in them. Just this Fall, Mill Creek, a 36 hole Donald Ross layout in Youngstown spent a quarter of a million dollars re-doing just the greenside bunkers on the south course! But then, they are also supported by tax dollars.

Also used GolfNow to play some really nice tracks in the Cleveland area. Fowler's Mill, Manakiki, Tanglewood National. All great courses.

So, 2017 has been a really good year. So far. Might not be over yet!

• iacas changed the title to General Ohio Discussion
14 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Overall, it's been pretty good this year, although NE OH remains "overbuilt" for golf. We'd gotten used to losing a course or two a year for a little while, but that didn't happen this year. I guess the weak sisters have been weeded out, although I'm sure the owners of those courses didn't consider themselves weak sisters!

Here in the Dayton area, We've still got a couple of courses about to go. Maybe the biggest shame is Rollandia. It's a short executive that is great for beginners. That's gonna be housing shortly. Then you got some "weak sisters" in Moss Creek and Cliffside, Moss Creek was one of those residential housing specials that turned sour based on location. Great bones, no cash flow and maintenance has gone to hell. Cliffside is a wacky rented-out course that just doesn't bring in enough money and is up for sale. Again, people are looking to build houses on it. ...  I hope that's all for the near future.

9 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Welcome to the club @Buckeyebowman! Hopefully we can have a meet up next spring.

That would be fun, but let's wait till Summer so the courses can dry out and firm up! I know you live in Florida now, but I'm sure you remember what Spring in Ohio is like! :-D

Count me in for a meetup in the spring and/or summer! I can help organize if necessary. I enjoyed the central ohio outing in August even though I played terrible. I have gotten quite a bit better since then thanks to LSW, Evolvr, and GameGolf.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

That would be fun, but let's wait till Summer so the courses can dry out and firm up! I know you live in Florida now, but I'm sure you remember what Spring in Ohio is like! :-D

I only live in FL for 1 more week. As of next week, I will be a freezing Ohioan once again. 

• Administrator

I'll be at Windmill Lakes GC in Ravenna, OH this coming Saturday and Sunday (the 28th and 29th) if anyone wants to walk around with me and watch @NatalieB play a little golf.

She will have her existing 7-iron and 9-iron (and sand wedge) from her junior set, and a new driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, and two wedges. Weather should be… present.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I'll be at Windmill Lakes GC in Ravenna, OH this coming Saturday and Sunday (the 28th and 29th) if anyone wants to walk around with me and watch @NatalieB play a little golf.

She will have her existing 7-iron and 9-iron (and sand wedge) from her junior set, and a new driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, and two wedges. Weather should be… present.

Did she end up going with the G400s? I think I remember reading in a different topic that was what she was considering. I grew up not too far from there, I' haven't played there personally, but from what I've heard, overall pretty narrow and a some ponds to deal with on approach shots too. Good luck!

Edited by klineka

• Administrator
4 hours ago, klineka said:

Did she end up going with the G400s? I think I remember reading in a different topic that was what she was considering. I grew up not too far from there, I' haven't played there personally, but from what I've heard, overall pretty narrow and a some ponds to deal with on approach shots too. Good luck!

Yep. Full set of G400.

• Driver (10.5°)
  • 5W (men's, so 17.5°)
  • 4H (22°), 5H (26°)
  • 6I, 7I, 8I, 9I, PW, GW
  • Glide 2.0 54 SS, 58 SS

Getting a little snow in columbus right now, nothing that will stick.

Does anyone in the columbus area know of any courses that have indoor launch monitors that you can rent? Golf Galaxy does but it comes out to almost a dollar a minute to rent their bay, dont quite feel like spending $60 for an hour of swings.

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...