IGNORED

Impatient or just slow learner

RJN12
Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, RJN12 said:

Thanks all for your advice. @Patch @Club Rat Glad to hear your advice -I guess I have “involuntarily” started following the green to tee approach. My putting and chipping is decent and as my club has good facilities for short game, I get quite a bit of practice in. My 8 and 9 iron play is also vastly improved. Hence my comment that it really is tee and fairway that needs work.

@krupa yes, a bit impatient, but being realistic - if I could only inch towards the 110-ish I’d be delighted as it would vastly expand the friends I would be comfortable playing with. I have no big ambitions, but would be nice to get to that point come spring, but right now seems unachievable. I am just hoping that there will be a bit of an aha-moment ?. But glad to hear I am not alone in starting from a low-low!

@RussUK love the idea of uneven clubs. Will try that out. I started off bringing only a 4-hybrid, a 7-iron and a sandwedge but now using a near-full set. I think taking that step back could be helpful.

@RandallT I appreciate all of the the advice, but for me it’s a choice between range and playing - they are both one hour from my house in opposite directions, and I have had some quite persistent injuries from “ball-wacking” so have to limit my full swing practice. But you’re spot on with the tees. I use the red tees (the lowest) in my club, but seek off a smaller course occassionally and here progress is much more apparent. As a woman, the long par 4 and 5s seem almost unachievable, so it is nice to sometimes be able to reach the green within at least a bogey-chance ?.

I guess I took up the game because I like the outdoors activity, the focus and the complexity, so I’ll keep at it. I do like to keep score just to motivate myself. I play with some other ladies who happily bang away and are about my level after 2-3 years and I’d like to think I can improve much, much faster.

Try this:  Driver or fairway wood, Hybrid, 7-iron, 9-iron, Sand Wedge, putter. Six clubs. When you get down to where you consistently are getting better, start adding the even irons back in. Hell, maybe I should even do this once in a while my back will thank me for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, RJN12 said:

I have a clever ploy - always book a tee-time immediately before the junior coaching slot - so I never have anyone behind me to ruffle up! ;-)

Brilliant!

I can't resist posting another of what I consider a good thread for those just starting to learn golf:

As I got instruction, this topic by Erik ( @iacas ) hit home for me as I tried to learn a new "piece" of the swing. Each piece takes time, and you've got to go through the levels of competence. First, learn that you aren't good at something (usually takes an expert to point it out), then get better at it while you're conscious of it, and then only slowly you get to the point where you can do it without thinking about it.

One by one, you peel away your worst problems. Once you can do something unconsciously, then move on to the next thing that an instructor says is a problem.  Caveat: your instructor had better be good! I've found that just swinging away and trying to hope you do the five things from a recent lesson hasn't worked for me. I've got to break it down one piece at a time with this methodology.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it, as my sense is that you are someone that enjoys the intellectual aspects of learning things, and the article uses accepted wisdom about "skill competence" and applies it to golf. Not sure why I sense that you'd be interested- and I apologize if it seems like a waste of time to you. We are all different in what strikes a chord.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Brilliant!

I can't resist posting another of what I consider a good thread for those just starting to learn golf:

As I got instruction, this topic by Erik ( @iacas ) hit home for me as I tried to learn a new "piece" of the swing. Each piece takes time, and you've got to go through the levels of competence. First, learn that you aren't good at something (usually takes an expert to point it out), then get better at it while you're conscious of it, and then only slowly you get to the point where you can do it without thinking about it.

One by one, you peel away your worst problems. Once you can do something unconsciously, then move on to the next thing that an instructor says is a problem.  Caveat: your instructor had better be good! I've found that just swinging away and trying to hope you do the five things from a recent lesson hasn't worked for me. I've got to break it down one piece at a time with this methodology.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it, as my sense is that you are someone that enjoys the intellectual aspects of learning things, and the article uses accepted wisdom about "skill competence" and applies it to golf. Not sure why I sense that you'd be interested- and I apologize if it seems like a waste of time to you. We are all different in what strikes a chord.

Haha - I actually use a similar chart for training (completely different context though). As a woman and a Scandi, I am conditioned to think I am rubbish at everything, so just keep pounding away (methodically) until someone reminds me I’m not too bad. Sites like this one is really great to connect with others and remind myself that everyone is a beginner at some point. But in this particular instance it was a bit harder as most of the posts here were about breaking 100 - and I’d be delighted to approach 120. It’s hard peeling off the layers when it seems that you are terrible at everything.

Something struck me about what you said above though. I guess I am now at a stage where I can actually start working on 1-2 things. The first few months I have had to learn the basics of everything - stance, grip, chipping, full swing basics, putting, pitching, rules, etiquette etc. It’s a lot for an older brain and body. But at least a few of these bits are now ok, so I can now start the real work!

I will update this as I progress. Maybe there is another super-hacker like me who will find this and realise they are not the only ones :-)

Went out and shot my first bogey on a quite complex 333 yd par 4 today (never shot below 9 before). I do think that collecting these scores helps me see that it CAN be done, and is hugely motivating.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/24/2017 at 6:13 PM, RJN12 said:

I will update this as I progress. Maybe there is another super-hacker like me who will find this and realise they are not the only ones :-)

I've enjoyed your posts here so far, so we look forward to updates.

If you update us from time to time, one idea is to create a "My Swing" thread in the Member Swing forum... but simply use that thread as your own personal place to keep a running journal of your progress- no need for an actual swing video if you're not comfortable with that.

Lots of us use that thread as our own little space for recording how our journey in golf goes. It's mostly accepted practice to honor each person's wishes to use the thread how they like. If you have an instructor, for example, you could say you are not interested in feedback on your swing, and most would respect those wishes. If you say that you'll just use the thread as a way to record various breakthroughs and milestones to keep you motivated (and not really discuss your swing), that is ok too. 

You'd probably develop a little following of cheerleaders, which can be fun.

Anyway, the reason I mention that is that member swing threads are already built to do the kind of thing you mention above ("update as I progress"). They are for you to run whatever narrative you want to record, and these threads like the one created here are more short-lived, as they typically have a smaller focus and they run their course over a shorter period.

Just a thought, and CONGRATULATIONS on the 333yd par!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @all

I am in a very similar situation, started playing 3 months ago, almost always in the driving range and in a small pitch and putt course. My few attempts at a full 18 hole course were very disapponting, scoring between 144 and 153.

I was having lessons , and practicing A LOT!!! I mean, going to the range 3 or 4 times a week , usually 150 balls each session... after a few weeks my back / ribs started to hurt, and instead of resting, I was taking ibuprofen and playing even more...

At 39 years old, this didn’t come free...the result is two broken ribs, and at least two months away from golf. So my advice is...take it slow and enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2017 at 3:58 AM, Ricardo Barros said:

Hi @all

I am in a very similar situation, started playing 3 months ago, almost always in the driving range and in a small pitch and putt course. My few attempts at a full 18 hole course were very disapponting, scoring between 144 and 153.

I was having lessons , and practicing A LOT!!! I mean, going to the range 3 or 4 times a week , usually 150 balls each session... after a few weeks my back / ribs started to hurt, and instead of resting, I was taking ibuprofen and playing even more...

At 39 years old, this didn’t come free...the result is two broken ribs, and at least two months away from golf. So my advice is...take it slow and enjoy yourself!

Hope you are doing better Ricardo. I ended up with a pulled back muscle, so have now decided to take a two month break, as the injuries seemed to be compounding. So here’s to a fresh start in 2018 for us newbies!!

On 10/24/2017 at 5:13 PM, RJN12 said:

I am conditioned to think I am rubbish at everything, so just keep pounding away (methodically) until someone reminds me I’m not too bad.

I was running through this thread and your statement caught my eye. I am of the belief that we need to manage the idea, pervasive among golfers, that "there is something wrong" (with me, my swing, my clubs, etc.). You are probably much better than you think. You might consider improving the mental aspects of the game, along with coaching, practice and play.  Also sometimes the right words or pictures can open vistas. As an old guy returning to golf, I really like the book "Breaking 100, 90, 80" published by Golf Digest. I too am having to take an enforced break due to injury. That little book and some others have helped keep my golf imagination alive. Best wishes, -Marv 

• Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

3 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

I was running through this thread and your statement caught my eye. I am of the belief that we need to manage the idea, pervasive among golfers, that "there is something wrong" (with me, my swing, my clubs, etc.). You are probably much better than you think. You might consider improving the mental aspects of the game, along with coaching, practice and play.  Also sometimes the right words or pictures can open vistas. As an old guy returning to golf, I really like the book "Breaking 100, 90, 80" published by Golf Digest. I too am having to take an enforced break due to injury. That little book and some others have helped keep my golf imagination alive. Best wishes, -Marv 

Something that we all seem to lose sight of is that golf is a very difficult sport. People will flounder around and get better and worse then hopefully better again. This is why success is brought about by accepting that "there is something wrong", then working on fixing those things. It's not developing a bad attitude at all, it's accepting that we are not doing something right then fixing it.

The first place to start is with your full swing. All else follows that. This is why everyone should be working on their longs games first. People first taking up golf know it. It's the first thing 99% of reasonably intelligent people do. They know that they need to hit the ball as far as they can.

So we know and accept that there's a problem, and it's not a defeatist attitude. The main problem is figuring out how to fix whatever is holding you back.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

The first place to start is with your full swing. All else follows that. This is why everyone should be working on their longs games first. People first taking up golf know it. It's the first thing 99% of reasonably intelligent people do. They know that they need to hit the ball as far as they can.

Haven’t others posted that golf should be learned from green to tee, i.e., short game first?

33 minutes ago, amishboy51 said:

Haven’t others posted that golf should be learned from green to tee, i.e., short game first?

You have to get to the green in as few strokes as possible before scoring low around the greens gives you the best score.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I too am a new golfer.  In fact I just played my first round 2 weeks ago. 

I worked with 2 different instructors (one moved) in both cases they would give me a set of drills to practice at the range and at home.  It really helped to concentrate on one issue at a time.

One of the local golf courses offer a 3 par 9 hole and an Executive course 18 holes that's between 2500 and 3200 yds.  My drive is pretty consistent between 100 and 120 and my putting is pretty good.  My short game needs a lot of work.  Since I'm retired I can get to the driving range twice a week.  I've really been enjoying it.

I found a group of like minded women who like to play for the fun of it.  We don't keep score unless we have a good hole.

1 hour ago, Maric771 said:

I found a group of like minded women who like to play for the fun of it.  We don't keep score unless we have a good hole.

Yay! Good on you! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 1:04 AM, Maric771 said:

I too am a new golfer.  In fact I just played my first round 2 weeks ago. 

I worked with 2 different instructors (one moved) in both cases they would give me a set of drills to practice at the range and at home.  It really helped to concentrate on one issue at a time.

One of the local golf courses offer a 3 par 9 hole and an Executive course 18 holes that's between 2500 and 3200 yds.  My drive is pretty consistent between 100 and 120 and my putting is pretty good.  My short game needs a lot of work.  Since I'm retired I can get to the driving range twice a week.  I've really been enjoying it.

Nice to have a fellow new golfing woman. Good luck for 2018!

• 2 weeks later...

@RJN12 and @Maric771 especially, and any other women golfers out there -- a book that helped me a lot is The Women's Guide to Consistent Golf, by Kellie Stenzel.  I don't know how old you are, but I am 56 and have been playing almost 5 years, average fitness but nothing great. (Age and fitness level are factors for both expectations and maybe ability to improve quickly.)  I hit my driver around 160 on a good day.  Anyhow, this book helped me a lot with my short game, and also with putting together a plan for ME to get better.  Since I don't hit it long and have very few GIRs, I need to be a wizard around the greens if I'm going to make many pars or better. My thinking is that to break 100 consistently, you need good enough ball contact to keep moving the ball forward, and be able to putt pretty well.  And putting is definitely something anyone can improve!  A good resource for that is Bulletproof Putting, by a guy named Michael McTeigue. (I'm a bookworm.) 

You're still new to the game! When I started, I didn't keep score at all... Like Maric says, if it's a good hole, write it down, otherwise just focus on having better ball contact.  I had a friend whose scorecard had smiley faces or frowny faces on it her first year. Emphasize the good times with friends, the exercise, and learning this fabulous game!

Another good book, especially for the mental/emotional side of the game, is by Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott, called Every Shot Must Have a Purpose. This book seems to be aimed at lower handicap or even scratch golfers, so I feel that a lot of it is irrelevant to me, but the basic idea of focusing on "Just.This.Shot." has helped me immensely.

In 2017, I brought my handicap index down to 15.1 from around 28, and I thoroughly enjoyed the process of learning. Once you're making good contact with a repeatable swing, you can create a plan for your progress.  Oh, and if you have any "fatal flaws," like I had a terrible wonky grip, get a lesson or two and fix that first!

One of my 2018 goals is to catch up and keep up with my blog... I don't know how to add it to TST, but you can check it out at www.golfgirl.net

Also, I'm not sure how many women we have on TST, but maybe a thread focusing on women's golf issues would be fun?

Hit 'em straight!

Barbara

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

On 10/24/2017 at 10:19 AM, RJN12 said:

(and the short one is full of really bad golfers keen to offer unsolicited advice to women)

@RJN12 Why IS that? These guys wouldn't offer unsolicited advice to another guy, but they feel a need to "help" a woman... 8-)

• Thumbs Up 1

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

22 minutes ago, Golfer gal said:

@RJN12 Why IS that? These guys wouldn't offer unsolicited advice to another guy, but they feel a need to "help" a woman... 8-)

There are plenty of men who get it as well, only there’s generally a different ulterior motive. Remember that many middle aged golfing men are divorced. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!