RJN12

Impatient or just slow learner

3 hours ago, RJN12 said:

Thanks all for your advice. @Patch @Club Rat Glad to hear your advice -I guess I have “involuntarily” started following the green to tee approach. My putting and chipping is decent and as my club has good facilities for short game, I get quite a bit of practice in. My 8 and 9 iron play is also vastly improved. Hence my comment that it really is tee and fairway that needs work.

@krupa yes, a bit impatient, but being realistic - if I could only inch towards the 110-ish I’d be delighted as it would vastly expand the friends I would be comfortable playing with. I have no big ambitions, but would be nice to get to that point come spring, but right now seems unachievable. I am just hoping that there will be a bit of an aha-moment ?. But glad to hear I am not alone in starting from a low-low!

@RussUK love the idea of uneven clubs. Will try that out. I started off bringing only a 4-hybrid, a 7-iron and a sandwedge but now using a near-full set. I think taking that step back could be helpful.

@RandallT I appreciate all of the the advice, but for me it’s a choice between range and playing - they are both one hour from my house in opposite directions, and I have had some quite persistent injuries from “ball-wacking” so have to limit my full swing practice. But you’re spot on with the tees. I use the red tees (the lowest) in my club, but seek off a smaller course occassionally and here progress is much more apparent. As a woman, the long par 4 and 5s seem almost unachievable, so it is nice to sometimes be able to reach the green within at least a bogey-chance ?.

I guess I took up the game because I like the outdoors activity, the focus and the complexity, so I’ll keep at it. I do like to keep score just to motivate myself. I play with some other ladies who happily bang away and are about my level after 2-3 years and I’d like to think I can improve much, much faster.

Try this:  Driver or fairway wood, Hybrid, 7-iron, 9-iron, Sand Wedge, putter. Six clubs. When you get down to where you consistently are getting better, start adding the even irons back in. Hell, maybe I should even do this once in a while my back will thank me for it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, RJN12 said:

I have a clever ploy - always book a tee-time immediately before the junior coaching slot - so I never have anyone behind me to ruffle up! ;-)

Brilliant!

I can't resist posting another of what I consider a good thread for those just starting to learn golf:

As I got instruction, this topic by Erik ( @iacas ) hit home for me as I tried to learn a new "piece" of the swing. Each piece takes time, and you've got to go through the levels of competence. First, learn that you aren't good at something (usually takes an expert to point it out), then get better at it while you're conscious of it, and then only slowly you get to the point where you can do it without thinking about it.

One by one, you peel away your worst problems. Once you can do something unconsciously, then move on to the next thing that an instructor says is a problem.  Caveat: your instructor had better be good! I've found that just swinging away and trying to hope you do the five things from a recent lesson hasn't worked for me. I've got to break it down one piece at a time with this methodology.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it, as my sense is that you are someone that enjoys the intellectual aspects of learning things, and the article uses accepted wisdom about "skill competence" and applies it to golf. Not sure why I sense that you'd be interested- and I apologize if it seems like a waste of time to you. We are all different in what strikes a chord.

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Brilliant!

I can't resist posting another of what I consider a good thread for those just starting to learn golf:

As I got instruction, this topic by Erik ( @iacas ) hit home for me as I tried to learn a new "piece" of the swing. Each piece takes time, and you've got to go through the levels of competence. First, learn that you aren't good at something (usually takes an expert to point it out), then get better at it while you're conscious of it, and then only slowly you get to the point where you can do it without thinking about it.

One by one, you peel away your worst problems. Once you can do something unconsciously, then move on to the next thing that an instructor says is a problem.  Caveat: your instructor had better be good! I've found that just swinging away and trying to hope you do the five things from a recent lesson hasn't worked for me. I've got to break it down one piece at a time with this methodology.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it, as my sense is that you are someone that enjoys the intellectual aspects of learning things, and the article uses accepted wisdom about "skill competence" and applies it to golf. Not sure why I sense that you'd be interested- and I apologize if it seems like a waste of time to you. We are all different in what strikes a chord.

Haha - I actually use a similar chart for training (completely different context though). As a woman and a Scandi, I am conditioned to think I am rubbish at everything, so just keep pounding away (methodically) until someone reminds me I’m not too bad. Sites like this one is really great to connect with others and remind myself that everyone is a beginner at some point. But in this particular instance it was a bit harder as most of the posts here were about breaking 100 - and I’d be delighted to approach 120. It’s hard peeling off the layers when it seems that you are terrible at everything.

Something struck me about what you said above though. I guess I am now at a stage where I can actually start working on 1-2 things. The first few months I have had to learn the basics of everything - stance, grip, chipping, full swing basics, putting, pitching, rules, etiquette etc. It’s a lot for an older brain and body. But at least a few of these bits are now ok, so I can now start the real work!

I will update this as I progress. Maybe there is another super-hacker like me who will find this and realise they are not the only ones :-)

Went out and shot my first bogey on a quite complex 333 yd par 4 today (never shot below 9 before). I do think that collecting these scores helps me see that it CAN be done, and is hugely motivating.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:13 PM, RJN12 said:

I will update this as I progress. Maybe there is another super-hacker like me who will find this and realise they are not the only ones :-)

I've enjoyed your posts here so far, so we look forward to updates.

If you update us from time to time, one idea is to create a "My Swing" thread in the Member Swing forum... but simply use that thread as your own personal place to keep a running journal of your progress- no need for an actual swing video if you're not comfortable with that.

Lots of us use that thread as our own little space for recording how our journey in golf goes. It's mostly accepted practice to honor each person's wishes to use the thread how they like. If you have an instructor, for example, you could say you are not interested in feedback on your swing, and most would respect those wishes. If you say that you'll just use the thread as a way to record various breakthroughs and milestones to keep you motivated (and not really discuss your swing), that is ok too. 

You'd probably develop a little following of cheerleaders, which can be fun.

Anyway, the reason I mention that is that member swing threads are already built to do the kind of thing you mention above ("update as I progress"). They are for you to run whatever narrative you want to record, and these threads like the one created here are more short-lived, as they typically have a smaller focus and they run their course over a shorter period.

Just a thought, and CONGRATULATIONS on the 333yd par!!!

Hi @all

I am in a very similar situation, started playing 3 months ago, almost always in the driving range and in a small pitch and putt course. My few attempts at a full 18 hole course were very disapponting, scoring between 144 and 153.

I was having lessons , and practicing A LOT!!! I mean, going to the range 3 or 4 times a week , usually 150 balls each session... after a few weeks my back / ribs started to hurt, and instead of resting, I was taking ibuprofen and playing even more...

At 39 years old, this didn’t come free...the result is two broken ribs, and at least two months away from golf. So my advice is...take it slow and enjoy yourself!