Sign in to follow this  
iacas

If the Average Amateur had Dustin Johnson's Driving...

42 posts / 2816 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

2017-10-28 09.00.15.png

I mean, come ON…

Umm, half my approach shots would be within 50 yards... if I still can't play the game from there I need to take up another sport.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, billchao said:

Umm, half my approach shots would be within 50 yards... if I still can't play the game from there I need to take up another sport.

Yeah, so true. :-D

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

His Tee shot includes his accuracy IMO. I would not be 14HC for sure. 

That's how I took it, yea. Even if it magically means my long game for the approach shot, like the ability was granted by a genie and only works on the tee, I'd still be a lot better at golf.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

How is this even a question?

Drive for show, putt for dough. The woods are full of long hitters. Insert other BS cliche here.

My score would go down if I had the median Web.com Tour driving statistics player hitting my tee shots for me.  Dustin Johnson?  For sure.  Suddenly the par-5s at my home course are all reachable in two for me... the longest par-4 at my home course is 435 yards, that becomes Dustin's driver and then my 8- or 7-iron instead of my driver and a wood of some sort (hybrid if I really nail the tee shot).  

Even with short game dragging me down in terms of strokes lost, I'm still improving quite a bit with Dustin's drives. 

If the average amature had DJ's T shot, iron game, and all putts between 7 and 24 feet, would their golf score actually go down?

4 hours ago, Shindig said:

My score would go down if I had the median Web.com Tour driving statistics player hitting my tee shots for me.  Dustin Johnson?  For sure.  Suddenly the par-5s at my home course are all reachable in two for me... the longest par-4 at my home course is 435 yards, that becomes Dustin's driver and then my 8- or 7-iron instead of my driver and a wood of some sort (hybrid if I really nail the tee shot).  

Even with short game dragging me down in terms of strokes lost, I'm still improving quite a bit with Dustin's drives. 

Uh, if your listed handicap is correct then your score would go down if you had the median 10 handicap's drives.

If I had DJ’s drive on my own course? Criminey, my score would drastically reduce just playing his 3W shot.

No brainer. I would be 7-10 shots better, per round. Maybe more.

Have to assume, that if I had his long game, I'd have his short game length too.

I'd finally break par. :dance:

Edited by Patch

11 hours ago, allenc said:

If the average amature had DJ's T shot, iron game, and all putts between 7 and 24 feet, would their golf score actually go down?

Uh, if your listed handicap is correct then your score would go down if you had the median 10 handicap's drives.

You are correct in expectation.  Last round I drove it better than a 10 handicap by strokes gained;   my last 5 rounds I lost an average of 0.13 vs 10 handicap, last 10 a loss of 0.52, all games in GG a loss of 0.28 on average (and I've had some very poor driving rounds in there!). 

But you're right, unless my most recent round is indicative of things to come.

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

If I had DJ’s drive on my own course? Criminey, my score would drastically reduce just playing his 3W shot.

This is pretty much what I thought. If DJ tee'd off with a long iron on every par 4 or par 5 and I took it from there, my scores would drastically drop.