IGNORED

30 Birdies or Bogey Free: Which Would you Take?

Seals
Note: This thread is 2295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

30 Birdies or Bogey Free  

49 members have voted

1. 1. 30 Birdies or Bogey Free

• 30 Birdies over 4 day tournament
    • Bogey Free tournament

Bogey free, without a doubt.  My thought is that the answer is going to somewhat correspond with your skill level - for me, even if you give me 30 birdies I'm going to screw up enough on the remaining 42 holes to still shoot over par.

wait...  I change my vote.   

I had voted 30 birdies, but I retract.   

my average score is 14 over (for 18 holes), or .77 over per hole.  

If I take birdies on 30 holes, then I have 42 left.   42 x .77 = +32.   So I'd guess that my 72-hole score would be -30 + 32 = +2.  

Where as the worst I can do with no bogeys is Even par.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a 17 HCP I would go with a bogey free round.  That would leave me at par or perhaps a little lower since I do make an occasional birdie.  If I had 7 birdies per round my usual bogeys and couple of doubles would leave me farther away from par.

This is a good question and I hope a lot more people chime in.

It looks like the better golfers pick the 30 birdies as they stand to par the rest of the holes and maybe throw in an eagle.

The bogey + golfers look at the bogey free round as a godsend and if you can squeeze in a couple of birdies or an eagle you will have an unbelievable 4 rounds.  I have about 10 - 20 birdies under my belt and just got my first eagle a couple weekends ago so to have 4 rounds of 72 would be sweet!  Mount those 4 cards in a nice frame in my office and show everyone!

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

If I was playing well enough to make 7.5 birdies per round, I could still live with my occasional 8.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

• 1 month later...

30 birdies. No question about it. 30 birds would mean I was playing some damn fine golf over 4 rounds, and would finished higher than the golfer with 72 pars.  

In real life, if I recall correctly, my personal best is 10-12 birds over 4 rounds, and that was done a really long time ago.

As for par, that would have been around 50 or so, for four rounds. Again, a really long time ago. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I would think most of the single digit handicappers would go for the 30 birdies since they don't make a ton of bogies or others. When I was playing to a 5.0 I would take the 30 birdies, but today I would take bogie free in a heartbeat.

I choose bogie free, because I will statistically birdie 2 of those holes and finish under par - an incredible thought for me. 

I chose bogey-free.  I read bogey-free as exactly that, bogey free.  It doesn't mean par, it simply means bogey free. Thus, you'd be able to score birdies or better.  And, as some of the others have mentioned, I'm liable to follow up each birdie with a bogey or worse.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

• Birdie fest - My very best rounds haven't been the ones with a lot of birdies.  I've had quite a few of those.  but they seem to balance out with bogies.  I had 5 birds on 9 once - we don't talk about the back 9 
  • My very best rounds have been the (nearly) bogie free rounds.  there I played solid the entire round and had just a few birdie.  Over 18 holes?  I think I've only ever had like 2 rounds.....

I might actually lean to bogie free - If I'm playing that solid over 18 holes..., then it's pretty much a repeat of the best round of my life and that turned out 3 under - with a TON of missed birdies opportunities even still......  I can earn a few birdies from a day like that

That said - 30 birdies over 4 rounds is cool regardless if the other holes are all meltdowns.

Bill - 

• iacas changed the title to 30 Birdies or Bogey Free: Which Would you Take?
  • Administrator

Fixed, @No Mulligans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would FAR rather have 30 birdies over a 4 day tournaments, because that means I'm averaging 7.5 birdies a day. Even if my tournament isn't bogey free, you're starting out of the gate at -30 before you make any bogeys. Say an average of 2 bogeys a day or one double and you're still at -22, a VERY good score. 

It's much harder to make 5.5 birdies in a day (what you'd have to do to score -22 with no bogeys) than it is to limit yourself to only two bogeys a day.

Edited by Pretzel

Note: This thread is 2295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!