IGNORED

Are You a Brand Snob?

PaddyMac
Note: This thread is 1682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Brand Snobbery  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a brand snob? Do you favor the Titleists/Callaways/TaylorMades/etc. over the Snells/RAMs/Wishons/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Ehhhhhh…

Almost everyone here is saying "no" based on them playing a variety of brands and not just one brand, but then every brand they list is one of the big boys. I don't see anyone saying they play Nickent stuff or something like that.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Almost everyone here is saying "no" based on them playing a variety of brands and not just one brand, but then every brand they list is one of the big boys. I don't see anyone saying they play Nickent stuff or something like that.

Right. People are not reading the question properly.

The question is NOT "are you a ONE-BRAND snob?"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

53 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yup, waiting for the impending wave of Mizuno love. . .

I actually own two sets of Mizzies, so please keep the hate to a minimum. :whistle: 

Pending the rain holding out, I finally get to try out my recently bought used M-52's on Saturday. Didn't come with a 3 iron, but I found a Mizuno T-Zoid MX11 3 Iron for under $25, so that should work out ok. I'm just not a fan of the Hybrids, sadly, and actually have hit the 3 iron pretty solid in the past. Granted, I don't have too high of expectations, but will still have fun just the same. :-)

Edited by pmack18

(edited)
18 minutes ago, colin007 said:

well spotted... No mention of smaller company's but then I assume most people are buying the bigger names because that's where the most R&D is spent which should then imply that's where the quality and performance is... but I could stand corrected

Edited by PaddyMac

Jones Carry Bag *** Titleist 975D 10.5  *** Wilson Staff FG Tour  4 - pw *** Callaway Mac Daddy 52 deg & 58 deg *** Nike Method Mod 90

I voted no. Don't care whatever name is on my clubs.
Though they are all from big companies.

I play a TM driver and 5 wood (not the same model, since I cracked the face of my previous driver), Ping 3-hybrid,  Srixon ZU65 4-iron, 5-P XXIO, Vokey SM5 wedges and an Odyssey putter.

Nope. I am 100% vested in value. I play Adams irons and Snell MTB balls. 

Having said that there is usually (not always..) a good reason a brand has earned a good reputation worth a little extra sticker price. If I can afford it and comparable product is lesser then I will spend this extra for value. In this time and day where there is enough reliable information available (especially golf related purchases...), it is not that hard to find out value. 

Vishal S.

I voted yes. I have had quite a lot of different brands in my bag over the years, but there are definitely some I generally won't consider.

I've had TM, Mizuno, Titleist, Nike and Ping woods

Titleist, Nike, Scratch, Wilson and Ram irons

Ping, Titleist, Yes, Wilson, Odyssey putters

But, I'd never play a TM putter and I'd never use Ping irons. That's because, at base, I am a little bit of a brand snob.

• Like 1

I buy everything used, errrr, pre-owned, so dunno if that counts. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Total brand snob here.  I love my Ping, Mizuno, Miura and Callaway stuff!

I have to like the way it looks and feels to even test it out.

Have never looked at anything offered by the small guys...well, Miura was not very well known till a few years ago so they might be considered not one of the Big, top names.

Of course some of the top names I will not buy.  I won't list them. 

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I wouldn't call myself a "brand snob", I play Tour Edge Exotics up and down the bag, but I don't know if it makes me a "brand snob". If I played PXG's maybe I would be.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I wouldn't call myself a "brand snob", I play Tour Edge Exotics up and down the bag, but I don't know if it makes me a "brand snob". If I played PXG's maybe I would be.

Lol, because I know you and we've played together, I'll go ahead and call you out on it. Good natured-ly, of course...:-P :beer:

Colin P.

Over the years I've played Ram, Lynx, McGregor, Titleist, TaylorMade, Cleveland, clubs I made from Golfsmith components, and a couple of off brands that nobody ever heard of.  So I certainly don't have brand loyalty, but I do usually shop brand name clubs.  It has little to do with snobbery - more about dependable quality.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I play what I play.  If someone reads something into that, I have to wonder, who's really the snob...?

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted "no" but should change it to "ehhh".  I do like Ping Drivers which my last 3 have been but if I try something better I would switch.  I do stick with brand name clubs since I have a higher level of expectation for quality, design, and customer service.  For disposables such as balls and gloves I will try an off brand if it sounds like a fit.  Maxfli  and Top-Flite are considered off brands but the Maxfli Softfli and Callaway Supersoft play and feel identical for my swing.  I find the same for the Gamer Soft and e6 Soft.

I misread the poll question and assumed it also implied loyalty to a certain big name.

50 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Lol, because I know you and we've played together, I'll go ahead and call you out on it. Good natured-ly, of course...:-P :beer:

Ok maybe I am... But they're great clubs... And I like them.

• Like 2

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

When I was fitted for a driver, the fitter suggested that I try Tour Edge Exotics.   I wasn't familiar with the brand and didn't take his suggestion.   I'm not currently a brand snob but there are some brands I wouldn't play. maybe I am a snob...so be it.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, pmack18 said:

Pending the rain holding out, I finally get to try out my recently bought used M-52's on Saturday. Didn't come with a 3 iron, but I found a Mizuno T-Zoid MX11 3 Iron for under $25, so that should work out ok. I'm just not a fan of the Hybrids, sadly, and actually have hit the 3 iron pretty solid in the past. Granted, I don't have too high of expectations, but will still have fun just the same. :-)

MP-52 are really nice clubs, and I don't think there were significant changes in the MP-53 and MP-54.

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Delete

Edited by 1badbadger
Deleted post

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 1682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!