IGNORED

Why you shouldn't exercise to lose weight [Vox]

nevets88
Note:Β This thread is 2154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On 11/14/2017 at 7:46 PM, klineka said:

That simply isnt true. From my local grocery store, Kroger.

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $1.99/lb

Bag of long grain brownΒ riceΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β $0.89/lb

AsparagusΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  $2.49/lb

BananasΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β $0.49/lb

Add in some hot sauce and/or some sodium free spices/rub for the chicken.

You could eat for an entire day for around $6-7, maybe add an extra dollar or two if you want to consume a protein shake with your banana for breakfast.

You can have the banana and a protein shake for breakfast, 8 oz of chicken, rice, and asparagus for lunch and the same for dinner and be under $10 total for the entire day. (Which is less than some people spend on eating out for lunch or dinner alone)

Eating healthy is NOTΒ expensive.

+1.

It never has been. People just dont like to take responsibility is what it comes down to. Its easier to blame something that sort of isnt in your control be it the price of food, genes or w/e excuse.

What we eat is more of a factor in weight than exercise.Β 

I've known fat guys who run marathons. I ran frequentlyΒ but ate what I liked, and years of poor eating with exercise led to a quad bypass.

That should frighten...

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I've known fat guys who run marathons. I ran frequentlyΒ but ate what I liked, and years of poor eating with exercise led to a quad bypass.

That should frighten...

great post and speaking from a person of experience. that is great. At it's root, food is fuel not entertainment or addiction.Β Β We need to make better food choices, Moving away from the Standard American diet is a step in the right direction

1 hour ago, Alx said:

+1.

It never has been. People just dont like to take responsibility is what it comes down to. Its easier to blame something that sort of isnt in your control be it the price of food, genes or w/e excuse.

I think the poster was talking about organics which are generally more expensive, but even if that is true, what is the priceΒ of ourΒ health ? Long term healthy eating is always cheaper than the alternative.

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2017 at 10:29 AM, Mr. Desmond said:

That should frighten...

True. But let's not forget genetics and heredity in these things. When I was younger my Mom and Step Dad had physicals at the Cleveland Clinic for the life insurance covering them for the business they ran together.

While watching TV after dinner, my Step Dad would get a block of cheese and a paring knife and shave off long slivers of cheese that he would eat in his recliner. He'd put that away and get himself a big bowl of ricotta! Then, just before bedtime, he'd get a big bowl of ice cream!

His results? Cholesterol, perfect! BP, optimal! This, that, and the other thing, right on the beam! They told him to keep on doing whatever he was doing. And he did not exercise one little bit. And his favorite meal was a Porterhouse steak!

Then there's my Mom, who ate like a bird. They had a whole questionnaire for her! "Do you eat lots of red meat?" Do you eat lots of fatty foods? My Mom rarely ate meat of any description. She much preferred veggies. Yet, her cholesterol was high, her BP was above normal, along with all kinds of other stuff. As one of the doctors counseled her, "Hey, sometimes it's just hereditary."

And, she outlived my Step Dad by 20 years! There are no guarantees!

16 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

True. But let's not forget genetics and heredity in these things. When I was younger my Mom and Step Dad had physicals at the Cleveland Clinic for the life insurance covering them for the business they ran together.

While watching TV after dinner, my Step Dad would get a block of cheese and a paring knife and shave off long slivers of cheese that he would eat in his recliner. He'd put that away and get himself a big bowl of ricotta! Then, just before bedtime, he'd get a big bowl of ice cream!

His results? Cholesterol, perfect! BP, optimal! This, that, and the other thing, right on the beam! They told him to keep on doing whatever he was doing. And he did not exercise one little bit. And his favorite meal was a Porterhouse steak!

Then there's my Mom, who ate like a bird. They had a whole questionnaire for her! "Do you eat lots of red meat?" Do you eat lots of fatty foods? My Mom rarely ate meat of any description. She much preferred veggies. Yet, her cholesterol was high, her BP was above normal, along with all kinds of other stuff. As one of the doctors counseled her, "Hey, sometimes it's just hereditary."

And, she outlived my Step Dad by 20 years! There are no guarantees!

Instead of measuring how long we live I prefer measuring the quality of life. I want to be able to play golf as long as I can at as high a level as I can. If we look at the rising levels of diabetes and cancer in this country, its leads meΒ to look at the food supply. Food today is not the sameΒ food our grandfather and mother ate.Β 

In the interest of creating food that has as longer shelf life and does not spoil as quickly, we have created a food supply that is loaded with chemicals. Pick up any package of food in any super market and read the label and see how many words you can pronounce. Even the fresh crops are sprayed with chemicals and then when we get sick we are given more chemicals to treat our problem. What are all these things doing for our immune systems.?

With the abundance of food that we have produced in the west, we have turned it from a source of fuel for the body into entertainment.Β  I often hear people on stores asking their kids what they want eat and what Β they ask for is sugar.

Years ago they did not pump the cattle full of anti-boitics, feed the farm fish to fatten them up and crowd chickens so close that disease can spread quickly.

Food manufactures have been listening to the habits of people and have made sure that foods contain as much sugar as possible. Since 1970, they have put an extra effort into putting sugar into more and more of our foods.I bought some psyllium huskΒ for fibre the other day and forgot to look at the label. When I got it home and read the label Β it contained Aspertine a well know dangerous additive.Β 

The bottom line is we need to start paying attention. We no longer can trust our food manufactures and hoping that genetics will save up is playing Russian RouletteΒ  with ourΒ health

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, the old "quality of life" argument. To me, quality of life does not necessarily equate to length of life, if that length can only be provided by denying myself those things that make life enjoyable.

One of those things is good food! I don't believe in gluttony, but I also don't believe in parsimony! Life is to be enjoyed.

Those with less than blessed genetics should mind their eating habits (most of us..).

You may not loose weight with exercise but surely our systems are better irrigated and prevent or reduce toxins accumulation with some light exercise.Β 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yes, the old "quality of life" argument. To me, quality of life does not necessarily equate to length of life, if that length can only be provided by denying myself those things that make life enjoyable.

One of those things is good food! I don't believe in gluttony, but I also don't believe in parsimony! Life is to be enjoyed.

yes, finding the right balance is the answer

Β 

On 11/1/2017 at 2:08 PM, nevets88 said:

Obviously a click bait kind of title to the article.

Yes controlling or minimizing your calories is how you lose weight but working out certainlyΒ helps. It's not just about burning more calories with the activity, having a little more muscle on youΒ increases your BMR (basal metabolic rate).

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

I absolutely believe in living lifte while you're alive and food (and drinks)Β is one of my favorite things in life, but I'd rather be fit and normal weight while eating good food than being overweight and restricted in activities. Great food doesn't have to be high-caloric and it's also about amounts. The difference between a calorie balance and 500-1000 kcal over what the body needs is not a matter of burgers vs salads, but rather two burgers and a large bowl of fries vs maybe one burger and a little less fries. Also quality over quantity. I'd make my own burger over going to [insert generic fast-food joint]Β any day.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

6 hours ago, Zeph said:

Also quality over quantity. I'd make my own burger over going to [insert generic fast-food joint]Β any day.

I love some fast food every now and then, but I also enjoy making my own meals/burgers.

In the past week I've grilled turkey burgers with hot sauce on them, and I took ground chicken and formed into small patties and grilled them to make little sliders. Both the turkey and chicken had flavor, and had significantly less fat that hamburger. Yes I know you can get super lean ground beef but often the chicken or turkey ends up cheaper than the super lean (like 95/5) ground beef.

Like others have mentioned, I try to strike a balance. I dont track calories, but I also dont eat like crap every meal. I also dont snack very much which helps keep overall calories down. I try to match my food intake to my activity level for that day. I eat a little more on days that I work out or golf, and on rest days I try not to eat as much.

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

There is a link between diet and exercise and yes over eating creates over weight.Β  Over exercising can also produce weight gain as stated due to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat.Β  I am 300 lbs and I struggle with weight.Β  I think there is also a phycological aspect here also.Β  To put it simply, I don't have a or mine in non functioning, an off switch or a full meter on my intake side.Β  I eat till I am over full and suffer from it hours after.Β  I eat healthy and prepare most of my own food.Β  I will even though I'm full going to shove something into my mouth just cause it goes with that meal ie dessert.Β  I play golf 2 days a weeks in the warmer months and walk as much as I can.Β  I have a harder time exercising, due to my work and the confines I do it in.Β  I also am at a point it is painful to do a lot of exercise and so I do what I can but it is kind of a catch 22.Β  There are many reasons for obesity and there are as many reasons to not get bogged down in the eat right exercise routine.Β  Look at all the factors and behaviors in your life.Β  Genetics, Lifestyle, Culture can allΒ  play a factor in your success or failure to remain at your desired weight level

• Like 1

The thing I don't get is the conflation of weight and health. I'd rather be carrying a few extra pounds (not too many) and be able to go for a 30 mile bike ride or 5 mile run than be skinny and run out of breath walking up a flight of stairs.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

I'm in the middle of a decent weight loss and I can concur with the article. You simply must reduce your caloric intake. I was up to about 210 in January and this morning I was 193. I have another 7 or 8 to go and then maintain. It's taken a consciousness about eating but it really hasn't been very difficult. I just watch my portions and cut out all ice cream, candy and pizza. I don't know if it's a case of mind over matter but for dessert last evening I had a giant, delicious naval orange and frankly, if I had a choice of a bowl of ice cream, I'd take the orange.

The turn in my golf swing was becoming restricted at 210 and now I'm swinging so much more freely.Β 

You just have to be ready for the change.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710seriesΒ irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. TitleistΒ Bullseye putter.Β  Prov-1 balls.

43 minutes ago, alleztom said:

The thing I don't get is the conflation of weight and health. I'd rather be carrying a few extra pounds (not too many) and be able to go for a 30 mile bike ride or 5 mile run than be skinny and run out of breath walking up a flight of stairs.

I don't see how those two are opposites. Weight is one attribute, fitness andΒ strength are other attributes. Weight can impinge fitness, but there's nothing preventing you from having a normal to above normal or low fat percentage and being physically able.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

13 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I don't see how those two are opposites. Weight is one attribute, fitness andΒ strength are other attributes. Weight can impinge fitness, but there's nothing preventing you from having a normal to above normal or low fat percentage and being physically able.

I think what @alleztomΒ is saying is that he values overallΒ fitness over maintaining his bodyweight in a certain threshold to be considered "normal"

I understand that and I feel the same way. There's obviously a limit, if you're 5'5" and weight 250 but can run a 7 minute mile, you should still probably lose some weight.Β 

Even though I'm lanky/skinny (6'4" 200lbs) I'm not going to go run a 6 minute mile anytime soon, yet I'm sure there are people that are considered overweight for their height than could run laps around me.Β I can walk 18 holes and carry my bag without getting winded, can still play pickup basketball/softball games with my friends, thats good enough for me.

Β 

Β 

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

5 hours ago, klineka said:

I think what @alleztomΒ is saying is that he values overallΒ fitness over maintaining his bodyweight in a certain threshold to be considered "normal"

I understand that and I feel the same way. There's obviously a limit, if you're 5'5" and weight 250 but can run a 7 minute mile, you should still probably lose some weight.Β 

Even though I'm lanky/skinny (6'4" 200lbs) I'm not going to go run a 6 minute mile anytime soon, yet I'm sure there are people that are considered overweight for their height than could run laps around me.Β I can walk 18 holes and carry my bag without getting winded, can still play pickup basketball/softball games with my friends, thats good enough for me.

Β 

Β 

I think the idea of exercising for the purpose of losing weight can lead one to stop once the weight is attained. It is easy to lose the overall goal which should be health.

One would assume that would be the reason to lose weight. There is no doubt that keeping our weight down is part our desired health goal.

I believe the calorie thing is way over done and will eventually give way to more informed way of eating and losing weight.Β 

The new Paradigm will be to move away from processed foods that are laced with chemicals, riding ourselves of our sugar addictionΒ and moving toward nutrient dense foods such asΒ  plant based foods so our bodies are receiving the fuel it needs to energize itself.

If we commit to a regular exercise program as part of an overall heath goal and educate ourselves on how healthy foods fuel the body and move in that direction and away from foods that detract from that goal, we will not have to count caloriesΒ  and weight lose will become a result instead of a goal. Just some thoughts

7 hours ago, Maddmaxx63 said:

There is a link between diet and exercise and yes over eating creates over weight.Β  Over exercising can also produce weight gain as stated due to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat.Β  I am 300 lbs and I struggle with weight.Β  I think there is also a phycological aspect here also.Β  To put it simply, I don't have a or mine in non functioning, an off switch or a full meter on my intake side.Β  I eat till I am over full and suffer from it hours after.Β  I eat healthy and prepare most of my own food.Β  I will even though I'm full going to shove something into my mouth just cause it goes with that meal ie dessert.Β  I play golf 2 days a weeks in the warmer months and walk as much as I can.Β  I have a harder time exercising, due to my work and the confines I do it in.Β  I also am at a point it is painful to do a lot of exercise and so I do what I can but it is kind of a catch 22.Β  There are many reasons for obesity and there are as many reasons to not get bogged down in the eat right exercise routine.Β  Look at all the factors and behaviors in your life.Β  Genetics, Lifestyle, Culture can allΒ  play a factor in your success or failure to remain at your desired weight level

why don't you try doing some Yoga. It is low impact and will produce the same benefits that exercise produces. I have been doing it for 20 years and it beats any other form of exercise I had done before. It is not necessary to beat ourselves up to get into shape

in regards to food, It is a proven fact food manufactures put chemicals into our food supply that cause us to feel hungry after we have eaten enough. Since 1970 the rise in sugar in all it's forms in foods has risen exponentially along with diabetes.Β I have never heard of anyone gaining weight from eating too many salads.

• Informative 1

Note:Β This thread is 2154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!