IGNORED

What tee time service do you use?

Old Golfer
Note: This thread is 2360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got a few questions. I live in Queens, NY and would like to know what tee time service would you recommend to book tee times? I've looked at GolfNow and TeeOff.

My other question is I would like to play at least 1 round before the winter sets in, but I'm just beginning golf again after an 8 year layoff, with a new swing and new equipment. I was new to golf 8 years ago. My dilemma is that I haven't been to a range yet. I've just been hitting balls into a practice net in my backyard. Should I forget about playing a round until next year or go for it? Just asking?

48 minutes ago, Old Golfer said:

Should I forget about playing a round until next year or go for it? Just asking?

I suggest you go to a range and continue to hit balls.  Going to a course in NYC might be a bit stressful and leave a negative cloud over your return to golf. A range will allow you to see a bit more of the ball flight than a back yard net, I suspect.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I suggest you go to a range and continue to hit balls.  Going to a course in NYC might be a bit stressful and leave a negative cloud over your return to golf. A range will allow you to see a bit more of the ball flight than a back yard net, I suspect.

I was thinking the same thing. I want to play, but I have no idea of my wedge distances or irons or anything like that. So to the range I will go. I have next Friday off so that's where I will be.

• Administrator

I don’t remember the last time I used a tee time service. Sorry. :-(

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don’t remember the last time I used a tee time service. Sorry. :-(

I never have, so I can't help there either.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I've used golfnow while on vacation and it wasn't too bad. Search the Hot Deals and you can get out pretty cheap sometimes. At home, I never use it, playing primarily at my home courses.

As far as the rest of it goes, getting to the range at least once before playing a round would be good. Other than that, just pick an easier, open course. Not sure what you have around you, but find the most friendly course you can. Maybe even limit the first outing to 9 holes, so you don't get beat up too much.

I have used GolfNow to reserve when it's after hours, say, on a Sunday, for the next Saturday and it's important to get it done. Otherwise I like to call in; I get more info that way about course conditions and anything that might interfere with play. Not sure, but I think the course pros prefer a call. Best wishes on coming back to golf; you probably are better than you think you are. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

I've used golfnow while on vacation and it wasn't too bad. Search the Hot Deals and you can get out pretty cheap sometimes. At home, I never use it, playing primarily at my home courses.

As far as the rest of it goes, getting to the range at least once before playing a round would be good. Other than that, just pick an easier, open course. Not sure what you have around you, but find the most friendly course you can. Maybe even limit the first outing to 9 holes, so you don't get beat up too much.

Good advice. Thanks

1 hour ago, MarvChamp said:

I have used GolfNow to reserve when it's after hours, say, on a Sunday, for the next Saturday and it's important to get it done. Otherwise I like to call in; I get more info that way about course conditions and anything that might interfere with play. Not sure, but I think the course pros prefer a call. Best wishes on coming back to golf; you probably are better than you think you are. -Marv

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Sounds like a plan. I decided to go to the range next Friday which is my day off and then look for a good weather day to play a round. I live in NY and winter is fast approaching.

What I do is use GolfNow to see what courses are nearby and have times, and then I'll book directly with the course. All courses in my area have their own online booking service, so I don't even have to call and interact with anybody! But I would suggest booking directly with the course if you can, because it will generally save you a bit of money. I just use GolfNow to see availability.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

17 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

What I do is use GolfNow to see what courses are nearby and have times, and then I'll book directly with the course. All courses in my area have their own online booking service, so I don't even have to call and interact with anybody! But I would suggest booking directly with the course if you can, because it will generally save you a bit of money. I just use GolfNow to see availability.

Thanks. I will try that.

10 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I've used Golfnow in the past.   What I experienced; the course will have a cheaper price some of the time.   Compare prices. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I've used GolfNow and never had a problem. In fact, one time I screwed up and booked the time for the wrong day! I called and GolfNow moved Heaven and Earth to check it out, issue me a full refund, and re-book the time for the proper day. And every course I've booked at knew we were coming, there were no issues. Plus, it has allowed us to get on some courses at prices that we couldn't have sniffed otherwise.

43 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I've used GolfNow and never had a problem. In fact, one time I screwed up and booked the time for the wrong day! I called and GolfNow moved Heaven and Earth to check it out, issue me a full refund, and re-book the time for the proper day. And every course I've booked at knew we were coming, there were no issues. Plus, it has allowed us to get on some courses at prices that we couldn't have sniffed otherwise.

Sounds good. It looks like there are more courses and options with GolfNow. 

2 hours ago, Old Golfer said:

Sounds good. It looks like there are more courses and options with GolfNow. 

As long as you don't mind paying for the privilege of booking the same tee time at the same price as you can do in other ways...

Try teeoff.com.or just call the course...

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Normally, the service just books at the normal rate, then you also pay extra for the service.  No point in doing that if I can just make a phone call.

So I'll use any tee time service I can find to see if there are available times in my area - it's quicker than going to every individual local course and looking it up on each website..  Only if there is a super cheap option, I'll use the service (Hot Deals comes to mind - I've gotten great deals there).

Usually, once I find a fairly empty course, my tee time service is.........the telephone.  Or I just show up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill - 

I use Teeoff.com way more than golfnow. I like teeoff for a few reasons. First, there are no booking fees like there is on golfnow. Second, if you join their email club/make an account with teeoff, usually once a week or once every other week they send discount codes for anywhere from 10-30% off their "Deal" rounds which can save quite a bit of money as long as you aren't super limited on what time you can go. They usually do have "deal" times throughout the day. Most of the courses cant come close to the teeoff price when there's an additional 10-30% off of the already discounted rate. I've gotten courses $50+ for around $30, and the $30-$40 courses for like $20.

Earlier in the spring I had a round booked and it snowed the night before so they called me and told me the course was obviously closed, and asked if I wanted to reschedule or just wanted a refund. I chose the refund and it went right back on my card. Pleasant experience from that aspect.

I have probably done at least 10 rounds so far this year using teeoff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

On 11/3/2017 at 1:13 PM, Old Golfer said:

Got a few questions. I live in Queens, NY and would like to know what tee time service would you recommend to book tee times? I've looked at GolfNow and TeeOff.

My other question is I would like to play at least 1 round before the winter sets in, but I'm just beginning golf again after an 8 year layoff, with a new swing and new equipment. I was new to golf 8 years ago. My dilemma is that I haven't been to a range yet. I've just been hitting balls into a practice net in my backyard. Should I forget about playing a round until next year or go for it? Just asking?

Not sure how convenient this is for you, but https://www.golfzing.com/pclatourette

$40 a month for players club and you can play cheap and get $20 of range balls per day, and weekly clinics.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!