IGNORED

Daylight Saving Time

boogielicious
Note:Β This thread is 757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1 hour ago, Gator Hazard said:

I agree would rather have the light in the evening. It is depressing when it's dark going too and coming from work.Β 

I would much rather come home from work when it is still daylight. MyΒ work day starts atΒ 4.am. So going to work in the dark is par for me.Β 

This almost cost me my round this morning haha. Β I missed my morning coffee and it helped actually. Β I had a good round and drove the green on a par 4 (first time ever). Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've done a lot of research on this subject. WhenΒ Β DST was implemented many years ago the goal was to achieve energy savings of 1%. Not much. Today the energy savings of DST are debatable. The electricity savings of light bulbs are offset by the electricity consumption of air conditioners. However, DST continues to be applied, to a great degree because there is a lot of lobbying by various chambers of commerce!!!! The reason being peopleΒ spend more on goods and services when there is more daylight!!!! In the end many things in life are driven by money!!!

11 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

I had to do same....

I'll second getting rid of DST

I'll admit I get confused by this but I think we are now in 'real' time, I think what you want is to continue DST...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, ..like I have to ask...

39 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I'll admit I get confused by this but I think we are now in 'real' time, I think what you want is to continue DST...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, ..like I have to ask...

Yes, autumn is the standard time and no I do not want to continue DST. Β Just leave it one way or the other, no spring forward, fall back. Β 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I prefer when the sun stayΒ up later in the day. Β I hate looking out at darkness when it's 5:30 pm, it shortens the day too much, so I guess I'd prefer we always be one hour ahead. Β Β Β 

Joe Paradiso

19 hours ago, iacas said:

Split the difference?

We'd be half an hour off from most everywhere else in the world. I think sticking with the current "hour" lines of demarcation are fine.

India, Pakistan and Afghanistan do it. Β It's very odd. Β I don't typically have problems converting time but during the 10 or so years I managed a team in India, I never quite got a handle onΒ that half-hour offset. Β 

My vote would be to retain DST all year.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I like when it stays lighter longer.Β  I hate leaving work in the dark to go home and not be able to do anything outside.

Plus the clock turning.... coffee maker, microwave, stove, VCR, wall clock, 2 alarm clocks, 2 watches and then the car!Β  Man by the time I finish all of them I have to turn them back again!!! :whistle:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: MiuraΒ MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno:Β MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I could go either way. It's a weird time of year when it's still dark at 7:20 AM and after the switch it sucks getting dark at 5. But I start getting crabby about it mid July when I can't golf until 8:30 PM, the long June days are perfection.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
18 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

I've done a lot of research on this subject. WhenΒ Β DST was implemented many years ago the goal was to achieve energy savings of 1%. Not much. Today the energy savings of DST are debatable. The electricity savings of light bulbs are offset by the electricity consumption of air conditioners. However, DST continues to be applied, to a great degree because there is a lot of lobbying by various chambers of commerce!!!! The reason being peopleΒ spend more on goods and services when there is more daylight!!!! In the end many things in life are driven by money!!!

Right, which is why I think we should keep DST year-round (if we're now in standard time, which I think we are).

7 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I prefer when the sun stayΒ up later in the day. Β I hate looking out at darkness when it's 5:30 pm, it shortens the day too much, so I guess I'd prefer we always be one hour ahead. Β Β Β 

Ditto.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I just want to play more golf. That energy saving crap is exactly that. Either I have the lights on in the evening or the morning. Even last week I was able to get 9 in after work. Tonight, I barely had time to hit some balls into the net after dinner.Β 

- Shane

11 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

VCR

You still have one of these? Like hooked up and working?

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I was surprisedΒ that I had to change the clock manually in one of our cars, since it doesn't have an internet connection.

(That sentence would have blown my mind 10 years ago.)

- John

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Right, which is why I think we should keep DST year-round (if we're now in standard time, which I think we are).

Ditto.

We almost did that one year, extending to 10 months during the oil embargo in the 1970s. It was awesome because it wasn't dark when we got home from school.

Modern DST History in the US
The US Congress extended DST to a period of ten months in 1974 and eight months in 1975, in hopes to save energy following the 1973 oil embargo. The trial period showed that DST saved the energy equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil each day, but DST still proved to be controversial. Many complained that the dark winter mornings endangered the lives of children going to school.

Β 

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, billchao said:

You still have one of these? Like hooked up and working?

Oh yea.Β  We have one hooked up in the playroom.Β  Must have like 6 - 8 boxes of tapes.Β  Not gonna throw them out and go buy them all over on DVD.... that would cost a ton of money.Β  I would rather get me some new sticks.Β  Wait, I did get some new sticks!Β  :-)

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: MiuraΒ MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno:Β MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Note:Β This thread is 757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!