IGNORED

Hitting off wrong tee

Aussiebob43
Note: This thread is 2353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

41 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

Not on a mountain here either.  Semi-private course with a men's golf association that functions just fine and our tournaments are run rather professionally and efficiently.  Heck, even when I was at fully public courses I never ran into anything you're describing.  I'd say you are the outlier here.

Sounds like a lack of care or interest by the staff and anyone at the club to make things better.

Its not every club I've been apart of.  But member committees are rare nowadays. Its usually just the club pro staff taking care of the tournaments. Most of the club tournaments i play in are run much more casually in comparison to the state or national stuff i do. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I've never seen a club championship like that and I'd contest that "most club tourneys are probably on that level."

Your committee is failing you.

The catering is always great. Stella keg and NY strip this year. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Groucho Valentine said:

But member committees are rare nowadays.

Sez you. And really, in this topic, only you.

There's still a "Committee" when any sort of event is run, and at every club in the area - literally every club in the area - they take care of their responsibilities.

Software these days makes it pretty easy to print scorecards which pull from the member list or the entry list or whatever, and pre-allocate handicap strokes, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Sez you. And really, in this topic, only you.

There's still a "Committee" when any sort of event is run, and at every club in the area - literally every club in the area - they take care of their responsibilities.

Software these days makes it pretty easy to print scorecards which pull from the member list or the entry list or whatever, and pre-allocate handicap strokes, etc.

Yes, sez I. Because its what I've experienced. 

• Administrator
Just now, Groucho Valentine said:

Yes, sez I. Because its what I've experienced. 

That doesn't make it accurate.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

How many clubs actually have functioning committees these days, anyway? What were talking about here is the pro, and a bunch of guys that probably play 75% of their golf at that course. Alot of club tourneys don't have starters, which is how that kind of thing can happen. You're often get sent out strait from the clubhouse. In the situations where I've seen that happen, its been let go as long as they didn't jump in front of anyone else's game. Not a big deal in causal club play. 

I'm in a men's club at a public course, and we play by the rules in every tournament.  Even our 1 or 2 scrambles each year are played as closely to the Rules of Golf as it is possible in the scramble format. 

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Last club championship i played in we didn't even get scorecards, we just got them from the mailbox on the first tee and wrote our names in ourselves. There was a whiteboard in the proshop with your tee time on it. Most club tourneys are probably on that level, so its not surprising to me mixups happen. 

My men's club prints official cards for every tournament, and only accepts those cards for scoring except in very special circumstances - one tournament a few years ago a magpie perched on the steering wheel and crapped on the card... the committee made an exception for that one.

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Come down from the mountain and join the rest of us then. Maybe places like Baltusrol or Bedminster have member committees, but most clubs dont have functioning committees anymore. Nobodty has time for that stuff. Its usually just the pro staff.  

This isn't Baltusrol, it's Foothills Golf Course in southwest Denver, a public muni in all practical respects.  Our men's club has 200-250 members, with an elected board of directors.  While we play all of our competitions at the same course, we are independent of the course.  We work with them around the first of each year to set dates for our competitions, but otherwise we are self managed.  We have a standing rules committee that works closely with the handicap committee to keep everything kosher.  Each tournament committee is made up of a couple of board members, along with any volunteers from the membership.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Thanks for the input. I thought that this Rule applied in the case that I mentioned. The accurate description of what I raised was that the four players in the group all had score cards with the 10th tee marked as the starting hole. The announcement over the PA called those players to the 10th tee and they were the group in front of my group hitting off the 10th.  While I was waiting to hit off I saw that they went to the 1st tee.  I went into the Pro Shop and told the Pro that the group was on the 1st instead of the 10th and he just said, "we're a bit ahead of schedule today so it really doesn't matter".  I left it at that.  But if any of those player had won a prize in the comp, I would have taken it further. In fact I will bring it to the attention of the captain although he is a mate of these guys.

I played in a HOT, (hockey over 30), league, they had rules. I played in a softball league, they had rules. I played in a golf tourney, they had rules. I played in a Texas Hold em tourney, they had rules.

Its pretty much how sports and games are played.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

I'll back @Groucho Valentine a bit here. 

In the three or so years I've been a member of my association, the rigor for certain things has gone down substantially and the official tournament score card is a case in point. We had them in my first year. We used standard Kittyhawk score cards for the last two. 

We've also had a few tournaments where there was confusion about who could hit off what tee. I figure I always have to play the whites in competition, but in one tournament this year another high-capper figured he could play golds despite being under age. Neither of us did squat, so it wasn't much of an issue in the end.

Some people organize better than others and recreational golf is no different.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I'll back @Groucho Valentine a bit here. 

In the three or so years I've been a member of my association, the rigor for certain things has gone down substantially and the official tournament score card is a case in point. We had them in my first year. We used standard Kittyhawk score cards for the last two.

@mcanadiens, we have heard your horror stories about Kittyhawk. It's really not surprising that that course doesn't give a shit about being a bit more official.

The responses still seem to largely favor "my club cares about our club competitions".

This OP is answered, though, and is wandering off topic. So let's stop. Please, if you want to discuss what your club does or doesn't do, or your committee does or doesn't do, start a new topic.

18 hours ago, iacas said:

That doesn't make it accurate.

Huh? You're going to tell me how i brush my teeth next? 

18 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I'm in a men's club at a public course, and we play by the rules in every tournament.  Even our 1 or 2 scrambles each year are played as closely to the Rules of Golf as it is possible in the scramble format. 

My men's club prints official cards for every tournament, and only accepts those cards for scoring except in very special circumstances - one tournament a few years ago a magpie perched on the steering wheel and crapped on the card... the committee made an exception for that one.

This isn't Baltusrol, it's Foothills Golf Course in southwest Denver, a public muni in all practical respects.  Our men's club has 200-250 members, with an elected board of directors.  While we play all of our competitions at the same course, we are independent of the course.  We work with them around the first of each year to set dates for our competitions, but otherwise we are self managed.  We have a standing rules committee that works closely with the handicap committee to keep everything kosher.  Each tournament committee is made up of a couple of board members, along with any volunteers from the membership.

18 hours ago, Fourputt said:

250 active club members at a public course? Thats amazing. Ive been a member private clubs where membership wasnt that active. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Huh? You're going to tell me how i brush my teeth next?

You said "member committees are rare nowadays." You have no way of knowing that, and only know what you have at YOUR club. You saying something about a broad situation doesn't make it accurate.

Last time… this is off topic. If you want to continue to discuss what member committees or committees or whatever do for their members or competitions or whatever, please start a new topic.

21 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

Not on a mountain here either.  Semi-private course with a men's golf association that functions just fine and our tournaments are run rather professionally and efficiently.  Heck, even when I was at fully public courses I never ran into anything you're describing.  I'd say you are the outlier here.

Sounds like a lack of care or interest by the staff and anyone at the club to make things better.

Make our course not on a mountain either.  One of our pro's gives you a scorecard while he is waiting for you on the tee.  pretty hard to not tee off from the proper tees. 

But what did almost happen to me the other day was that the group I play in almost exclusively plays from the Blue Tees.  But on this tournament day, with my handicap we were playing from the Gold Tees.  Everything was fine, then I stepped up onto the 12th tee, put my ball in the ground and was just about to swing when someone noticed I was on the Blue tees and stopped me right before i started my swing (This was the tournament I went back to play in after the NC).  Whew!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 2353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!