IGNORED

Custom fitting needed when I know my Trackman numbers?

Note: This thread is 1250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi!

I am planning to buy a new driver for the next season. 
Now, I know my Trackman numbers pretty well (swing speed, swing path, club face angle, launch angle etc). 
I also know my typical faults with the driver.
Question is: how important is it to do a custom fitting when I know all that? Last time I bought a driver, I did a custom fitting and it was very much like "Trackman says this, so you need a shaft/loft/etc like that" etc.
Or would the numbers really vary a lot between different drivers?
(I am going to test them out for the feel, it's just the full fitting I am unsure about.)

I assume there is no yes/no-answer to this, but it would be good to get some input.

Thanks!

Different head and shaft combinations can produce different numbers, so I say yes you should still get a fitting.

Knowing the numbers with your current driver allows you to see whether a new driver is actually an improvement or not and helps you make a purchasing decision. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, barnum1 said:

so you need a shaft/loft/etc like that" etc.

Various Heads along with various shafts will produce various results, not to mention the various settings and weighting combinations.
Typically, ball flight, carry distance and control are the key combinations which should be considered.
Also consider the type of courses you play most (fairway grass, firmness, slope, rollout, wind etc) should weigh in your considerations for everyday play.

Finding a versatile driver which suites your needs is fairly easy once you sort through your decisions.

Trackman numbers are only a piece of the puzzle.  A good fitter looks at your swing.  Transition,  smooth or aggressive.  How do u load the shaft.  Release point....

For years I've had my numbers and hit everything the same.  I got fit and ended up with a counter balanced HZRDUS yellow....on my own I would have had no idea to try that.  I'd follow the herd...high launch low spin when I actually needed lower launch and higher spin.  After being fit by Ace of Clubs, top fitter in Massachsetts and one of the top 100 in the country, I hit the ball better and further than ever.  If I went by Trackman alone, I'd still be stuck in a rut.

• Informative 2

7 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Trackman numbers are only a piece of the puzzle.  A good fitter looks at your swing.  Transition,  smooth or aggressive.  How do u load the shaft.  Release point....

Which the numbers will tell, or how consistent the numbers are over a number of shots.

1 hour ago, barnum1 said:

@Typhoon92 I definitely agree that there is more to it than the Trackman numbers. Just that my experience from custom fitting is that the numbers were the only basis for selecting a club and shaft...

You should ask the fitter.  When I went through mine I wasn't hitting it great and he could see that but all he kept saying was dont worry about it.  When I left, I went online and looked up the 2 shafts that gave me the best numbers and both shafts were for swings like mine.  Both shafts were nearly identical and better for me than the non counterbalanced shafts.

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Which the numbers will tell, or how consistent the numbers are over a number of shots.

That is a question for your fitter.  I know my guy well and we'll hang out some and talk so I know what he's doing.  HOW he does it or how he recognizes different swing types is probably experience.  That's why he's in the top 100.

I just know that for years of reshafting my own drivers based on my trackman/gc2 numbers....all I've done is waste time and money.  Always thinking low spin was great when I needed more spin so the ball didn't just fall out if the sky.  My launch was too high and I have a positive AOA.  But he put all the pieces together...that's HIS job and it worked.

Wish I did it years ago instead of half-assing it and expecting something good to happen.

One last thing...don't go to a big box store.  Look at the top fitters in your state.  Your fit is only going to be as good as your fitter is.

Edited by Typhoon92

On 08/11/2017 at 5:03 AM, barnum1 said:

Hi!

I am planning to buy a new driver for the next season. 
Now, I know my Trackman numbers pretty well (swing speed, swing path, club face angle, launch angle etc). 
I also know my typical faults with the driver.
Question is: how important is it to do a custom fitting when I know all that? Last time I bought a driver, I did a custom fitting and it was very much like "Trackman says this, so you need a shaft/loft/etc like that" etc.
Or would the numbers really vary a lot between different drivers?
(I am going to test them out for the feel, it's just the full fitting I am unsure about.)

I assume there is no yes/no-answer to this, but it would be good to get some input.

Thanks!

Find a good fitter - the "yes, it matters"

Just a 'fitter' who's actually just selling clubs? - "no, don't bother"

I'm excited for my next round of purchases, I want to get a 'real' fitting.  Next round will be woods and hybrids.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Get fit, if you have similar numbers -- look at dispersion and try different shafts.

I believe Mr.Desmond is an Ace of Clubs man like I am.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 5:13 PM, Typhoon92 said:

I believe Mr.Desmond is an Ace of Clubs man like I am.

Yes, I am. I make a point to visit Frank once a year and play some golf, look at clubs.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!