IGNORED

Does Sports (Golf) Teach Life Lessons?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Life Lessons and Sports  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do sports (like golf) teach "life lessons" to children?

• Yes, they can and often do.
    • No, they can't, and thus don't.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I'm ok with the rest of your post except for that one.  later

That's how it read. You changed your vote because I mentioned talking about some of the things she experienced, then later said "talking about it" wasn't the point.

So whatever you meant, that's how it came off, to me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

That's how it read. You changed your vote because I mentioned talking about some of the things she experienced, then later said "talking about it" wasn't the point.

So whatever you meant, that's how it came off, to me.

The point was exposing her to learning experiences not simply 'talking' alone - you countered that you didn't talk about some things which, yes, did miss the point - talking, role model, etc etc etc all lie on that continuum.  You then accuse me of not understanding your point - back atcha...

But I understand - I actually hadn't noted until that point that it was even a poll.  My position has been consistent from my first point and I voted accordingly.  Your comment came off poorly in the other context - glad it wasn't meant that way FWIW.  we should stop with this, it's another round and round with little value added.

Another approach here is likely better than all the semantic bandying.  Sports is a good way, amongst many, to build positive character ('life lessons' certainly being code word for character with this crowd).  How is it unique vs other ways:

1 - People learn through repetition.  Sports/activities is full of repetition.  This also includes making similar decisions over and over again (not just the physical repetitive acts).  So the participant gets a lot of practice.  Many of the decisions are value based decisions.

2 - Different from working, or studying or other items that we use to teach character is because we want to play.  Sports tends to be something people CHOOSE to participate in as it's perceived to be fun (neglecting forcing your kids to play, then it's more like work).  When one self-elects to participate, then the 'practice' of positive decision making happens even more......more repetitiion.

3 - Sport vs the other - role models tend to be a bit fanatical at times - so the examples are usually pretty extreme.  tough pick here of if that's a plus or minus IMO.  You don't usually see the plumber and tile guys doing an endzone dance when someone finishes a bathroom remodel...

Bill - 

I voted yes.  I don't think it even has to be "competitive" sport.  I am a hacker.  I play golf for fun.  To get out in the sunshine.  To spend an afternoon with one of my sons (the one who decided to like it).  To try to get better.  Last spring I had a bad result from my colonoscopy, and I've spent the last year and a half doing fun things like radiation, surgery (three times, though once was because my gall bladder decided it wanted gangrene), and chemo.  With some periods to recover for the next wave.  All through it I played golf when I could, not well, sometimes with an ostomy bag, but I kept playing.  And it reminded me about the things that are important, and the things that are not.  It doesn't matter if I shoot 110 or 90.  Though I much prefer 90, and actually shot my best round ever between radiation and surgery, an 87.  But I grew to appreciate even more the chance we have to play.  Even on the bad days, it is nice to be on the green side of the grass.

I've decided I want to challenge myself to improve, after years of pretty much being stagnant.  Though I haven't been posting, I am up to nine days in a row of practicing at least five minutes.  I've taken three lessons in the past month, and I am working on implementing changes.  I see a difference, though I haven't seen the breakthrough in score I am looking for, yet.  But, maybe tomorrow!

I don't believe anyone ever said, or even implied that sports is the only way to lean life lessons, or the best way.  But it is certainly one way. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

You then accuse me of not understanding your point - back atcha...

Dude, it's just text, and so maybe I'm misunderstanding the attitude too, but misunderstandings in both directions happen pretty often. No need to get upset about it. I'm not.

Voting no in the poll doesn't seem to jive with what you've said in your posts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted yes. Sports are closest thing to a true meritocracy. Golf, even more so than most other sports. That in itself puts them in a unique position to 'teach' (more like demonstrate..) cause and effect in a 'pure' form. 

So you hit a huge slice on the monster 442 yard 14th that starts just left of the target and then unceremoniously peels off hard right and into the trees. 

Possible reasons:

A) Your boss forced you to hit a slice.

B) Your wife doesn't let you play enough golf so you can't practice enough to be better.

C) You are a slicer. That's just who you are and that's just what you do. A chronic 'loser' of sorts. 

D) You left the club-face open to the path.

After hitting hundreds of slices at different occasions I have picked all off the above options either individually or in combination at some point or the other to explain my ball flight to myself. But now I know enough that the only correct answer is D. Nothing more nothing less.   

Vishal S.

18 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

A) Your boss forced you to hit a slice.

B) Your wife doesn't let you play enough golf so you can't practice enough to be better.

C) You are a slicer. That's just who you are and that's just what you do. A chronic 'loser' of sorts. 

D) You left the club-face open to the path.

E) (insert name of president from whatever the 'other' party you follow here) made you do it

F)  Global Warming

always has to be an option

Bill - 

6 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

E) (insert name of president from whatever the 'other' party you follow here) made you do it

F)  Global Warming

always has to be an option

Sure, why not. Answer still D.. :-)

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Sure, why not. Answer still D.. :-)

Damn, I picked B ;-)

I see people are getting hung up on semantics a little. Sports have what I like to call "teachable moments" that occur. There are times where situations arise where something can be learned: things that have impact outside of the sports activity itself. Call it a life lesson, if you will. Whether that opportunity arose and a person is guided by a parent, coach, peer, or nobody helped that person through the moment, the opportunity existed where a life lesson could be learned. The fact that some outside force helped "teach" the lesson doesn't take away from the the fact that the opportunity occurred within sports.

I also feel like reinforcing a life lesson is, in its own way, learning a lesson. You come across a situation and because your parents instilled upon you the virtue of honesty, you behave honestly. You learned to apply what you already knew, and how that affected the situation. You can also go the other direction and lie and learn a different kind of lesson. There are plenty of kids who don't model the same behavior and beliefs as their parents.

Not all life lessons are the same and your values play a role in that. Most of us here value integrity in this game we all play. Some people don't and they're willing to cheat and sandbag for the sake of winning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Certainly.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Maybe a better title (topic) would be:

’In what ways have sports taught you and/ or your children  life lessons?’

Sports have been a huge part of my life. It’s impossible to say they have no influence in my opinion. 

And if I had a choice to experience Malaria again or a round of shanks....I’d take Malaria any day.

Both taught me lessons. Both are diseases. One is simply much more difficult to cure.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

And if I had a choice to experience Malaria again or a round of shanks....I’d take Malaria any day.

Both taught me lessons. Both are diseases. One is simply much more difficult to cure.

It’s not every day you see a comparison between shanks and malaria. A tip of the hat for that one! 

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

:beer: You Win! And the post of the day (or yesterday) goes to...

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

@iacas @rehmwa I was wrong about sports not teaching life lessons. I was going by personal experiences or memories and was being a bit closed-minded.

Talked to one of my sons about it and kept an open mind. Without me telling him what my opinions were, he initially downplayed any impact it might have had. But as we brought up certain occurrences we both came to the conclusion there was something to be taken from those.

Anyway, I told Bill that I'd admit it if I came to a different conclusion.

Jon

On 11/9/2017 at 8:44 PM, Vinsk said:

’In what ways have sports taught you and/ or your children  life lessons?’

Honestly, that's what I am hoping this thread would segway to.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

I voted yes but concede that it might depend upon how one defines "life lessons".  I have played all sorts of sports over my life time and believe that doing so has taught me much that has help in some of my other pursuits.  In particular golf has a lot of lessons to teach you about yourself.  Being primarily an individual sport maybe the most important lesson is only you can fix you.  Other people can help, but only you can change you. No one else can do it for you.  There are other lessons but I believe that is the most important.

Butch

Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!