IGNORED

Tommy Armour Regular or Oversized?

popohacker

Hey fellow hackers......  Found a set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot on Craigslist for $40 bucks (3-PW), I am just getting back into the game after a layoff for a couple years.   Tried a set of Hybrid Irons from Adams,  did not like them, so I went to searching and found the 845s and like the way they hit.   Found a Gap Wedge and Sand Wedge in the same model so the set is coming together....  Just a question for the group and anyone that has played them or owned them?   Whats the difference in the Regular and Oversize, am I good with regulars or would I be better off with the oversize?   

Oversize should be a little more forgiving; check Maltby Playability Factor. And Google reviews for the club. But go with what you like. I liked the 845u Silverback. Very easy to hit. Best of luck with your search and purchase! -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Never been a giant fan of oversized clubs, but it is a personal decision. I personally would try to play the regular heads and if you don't get the forgiveness you need, give the OS a try. Had a set of the 845's many moons ago, great set to get back into the game with.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

16 hours ago, popohacker said:

Found a set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot on Craigslist for $40 bucks (3-PW),

If these are the originals from 1988, the MPF = 677, in the Maltby Game Improvement zone just a few points below Super Game Improvement. (The Oversize reached SGI with MPF = 825).

Tommy Armour 845s SILVER SCOT Iron Set Preowned Golf Club

In Maltby's 2005 book on MPF, p. 28 has pictures and a full-page analysis of this model of iron. Maltby credits the 845S with being one of the few modern irons that retained a classic look but still achieved high playability. In production from 1988 to 2002, the 845-Silver Scot family has one of the longest runs of any modern iron model.

Here is a Tommy Armour 845 thread from a few years back. Interesting stories!

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

2 hours ago, WUTiger said:

If these are the originals from 1988, the MPF = 677, in the Maltby Game Improvement zone just a few points below Super Game Improvement. (The Oversize reached SGI with MPF = 825).

In Maltby's 2005 book on MPF, p. 28 has pictures and a full-page analysis of this model of iron. Maltby credits the 845S with being one of the few modern irons that retained a classic look but still achieved high playability. In production from 1988 to 2002, the 845-Silver Scot family has one of the longest runs of any modern iron model.

Is there a way to tell what batch they came out of

7 hours ago, WUTiger said:

I was able to find a set of the Oversize Plus [3 - PW] online tonight for $55 so I pulled the trigger... will give both a tryout and see what happens....thanks for the feedback...

20 hours ago, popohacker said:

I was able to find a set of the Oversize Plus [3 - PW] online tonight for $55 so I pulled the trigger... will give both a tryout and see what happens....

That's the best way to do it.

As for "which batch..." the original 845s and the eventual Oversize were produced several years apart.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 3 years later...
On 11/9/2017 at 11:02 PM, popohacker said:

I was able to find a set of the Oversize Plus [3 - PW] online tonight for $55 so I pulled the trigger... will give both a tryout and see what happens....thanks for the feedback...

ok, so 4 years later....  Which did you prefer - original or oversize?  I looking at them too 😀

• iacas changed the title to Tommy Armour Regular or Oversized?
  • 3 years later...
On 11/9/2017 at 1:08 PM, NM Golf said:

Never been a giant fan of oversized clubs, but it is a personal decision. I personally would try to play the regular heads and if you don't get the forgiveness you need, give the OS a try. Had a set of the 845's many moons ago, great set to get back into the game with.

But your putter is a hockey stick