IGNORED

I've been harping about this forever - give people space

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Elmer said:

I find a rather steady diet of beans (bean burritos, Beans & rice, black beans, red beans, pinto beans, etc...) keeps most people away from me most of the time. 

You beat me to it.  

• Like 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:40 PM, colin007 said:

I might be imagining this, but I thought I saw something where the individual divots on the right will heal and regrow more quickly than the lines on the left.

I think you're confusing lines vs box. Lines with grass in between are ideal, but some people think they're supposed to be hitting in a box. Nobody advocates divots all over the place.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/this-is-the-proper-way-to-take-divots-on-the-driving-range

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Nobody advocates divots all over the place.

I have seen some that have.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I have seen some that have.

I probably should have said almost nobody, but anyway not the topic here. My bad.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 11/13/2017 at 12:57 PM, NM Golf said:

Go to the side of the range farthest from where you buy balls. People are inherently lazy, their need to be lazy will override their need to be next to you. ;-)

I have found this to be true at most courses.  But if you get a neighbor you can move if the range isn't crowded, although this isn't good for making new friends.  I too, as someone earlier said, look for the least dug up and level spot and if that is next to you, you got a neighbor.

Butch

On November 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM, colin007 said:

I might be imagining this, but I thought I saw something where the individual divots on the right will heal and regrow more quickly than the lines on the left.

Think thats true. A super i talked to said something similar. 

On 13/11/2017 at 4:00 PM, lastings said:

here it is...   Literally my biggest pet peeve in all of anything. 

HN9lcSZ.png

I'd like to encourage also starting that line as far to the right as possible, so subsequent lines can move from right to left (sorry left handers).

I'm not sure what's worse, hitting a ball off of crappy tore-up ground, or standing in crappy tore-up ground WHILE hitting in crappy tore up ground.  Many times I've taken some worse ground to hit off of just so I could get a stance that isn't slippery or even mucky.

Sorry (back to the topic) if that location happens to be next to the only other guy on the range, he's got a neighbor (and I am the same way, I'd rather be all by myself, but a good stall is higher priority).

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

The space issue can be particularly annoying as a lefty.  I can see it coming, the guy that's going to plant himself right next to me so we're face to face.  Then we have to look at each other...alternate hitting.  Or I'll be working on something and he thinks I'm going to hit, but I'm really just rehearsing...so he'll wait for me and I'm not doing anything. 

21 minutes ago, Jerry in DC said:

The space issue can be particularly annoying as a lefty.  I can see it coming, the guy that's going to plant himself right next to me so we're face to face.  Then we have to look at each other...alternate hitting.  Or I'll be working on something and he thinks I'm going to hit, but I'm really just rehearsing...so he'll wait for me and I'm not doing anything. 

He's undressing you with his eyes while you are trying to swing. 

There should be laws.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:11 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Think thats true. A super i talked to said something similar. 

Sure it may heal faster but most ranges are not just one line of tees. They’ll have an acre of space to work with adjusting tees daily or every other day. Either way the tees will have re-grown with grass by the time the tees go back. 

So generally, youd still want the lines because of not screwing that spot up so quick that others that day can’t use it. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 11/13/2017 at 5:00 PM, lastings said:

here it is...   Literally my biggest pet peeve in all of anything. 

HN9lcSZ.png

I could only wish that the turf on my range was that nice! And yes, some people have no idea how to practice!

• 1 month later...

isn't it amazing how little is too much to expect from the general public? I have seen attempts from facilities to raise a mild level of awareness of this problem but all it takes is just a small amount of entitled folks who think their money is more valuable than anyone's elses and they can just do as they please regardless of the inconvenience it causes others.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

On 11/13/2017 at 6:46 PM, Jack Watson said:

I have a hard time with the divots all over too.  Sometimes you get the range talker people too.  Usually annoying only rarely cool.

Agreed its the over talkative range person that I always seem to end up next to. I don't mind a quick conversation or the occasional question or statement, but I am not using my lunch break to listen to some guy ramble on about how the range balls most be "reduced distance balls" because he can't seem to hit is 200 yard club past 150. I have also had the guy that comes over and asks me questions about my swing constantly....dude I am a 21 cap at the moment not much I can help you with. 

Edited by HJJ003

On 1/5/2018 at 2:32 PM, flopster said:

isn't it amazing how little is too much to expect from the general public? I have seen attempts from facilities to raise a mild level of awareness of this problem but all it takes is just a small amount of entitled folks who think their money is more valuable than anyone's elses and they can just do as they please regardless of the inconvenience it causes others.

Sadly, one of the people I play with occasionally is of the opinion that he payed his money so he can do whatever he wants to do on the course! A particular incident of his was finally the last straw. I called him out on it and his reply was "I can drive anywhere I want! I payed my fee!" I spoke to a worker at the course and pointed out what he had done. I asked if he would come up and talk to our group a few holes later about what happened on that particular tee. The worker caught up to us and told us he was going to keep a eye on us and that we would be banned from the course if we didn't behave! 

On 11/13/2017 at 10:01 AM, mcanadiens said:

... I had two children with their mom decide that under my back swing was the best place to be one afternoon at Kittyhawk. We were the only ones out there and the tee line is at least 50 yards wide. ...

A few seasons ago I was practicing my chip shots on the practice green at my club. I'm at top of my backswing when a little girl in her Sunday dress runs into the middle to the green and picks up a golf ball.

I caught myself, said hi to her, and then went over and told her dad that missie had wandered into harm's way. Dad got upset with me because I supposedly didn't like children, and I responded that it was a shame I cared more for his daughter's safety then he did.

Dad said he was going to report me to the pro. Five minutes later, he emerges briskly from the clubhouse with an angry head pro in trace, yelling at him. I never saw dad again.

Missie was a cutie, but dad wasn't.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!