IGNORED

Tossing around ideas for a different 2018 set-up.

Note: This thread is 2179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the past couple of years, I have namely played the following set-up:

Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Driver, 3 or 4 wood, 3 hybrid, and usually 4 hybrid (though I own the 5 hybrid)

Exotics EXI irons (usually 5-AW, sometimes adding the 4-iron)

Exotics CB Pro S wedges of varying lofts from 52-60 degrees, but usually 52° and 56°)

Exotics DG Tour Series v1.1 Putter, Superstroke Fatso 5.0 35".

Ok, so one thing that will happen for sure, at 6'5" I need a longer putter, so I'm planning on going to a 37" or 38" putter so I'm more comfortable.

Beyond that, the only thing I'm positive of is, my days of swinging X-flex woods are over. So I more than likely will be going to Stiff flex or perhaps a tipped Regular flex. (And I'm going to play shorter shafts in the woods.)

So with all of that consideration, I may stick with the irons and wedges... But I might get something different... Really this thread is more about the longer clubs. 

I'm tossing around the idea of going back to playing a 5-wood instead of a 3-hybrid. But I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger yet... (I haven't hit a 5-wood in years). My thought is to cut a little off the shaft (perhaps a 1/2") and have the weight balanced so it plays kind of the same as a 3-hybrid, I just don't hook my fairway woods, like I do my hybrid(s).

Which leads me to the other replacement... I'm tossing around getting one or two of the new Exotics CBX iron-woods, instead of a hybrid. I understand hybrids are get out of jail free clubs... But for me, I worked on it a lot, and my miss is like Billy Cundiff against the Patriots. 

So I'm looking at 44" Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood or 3 Driving Iron, 4 Driving Iron or standard 4-iron, 5-AW, 54°, 58°, Putter... 

Sorry for the rambling, I hope you can follow where I am going with it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your proposed bag set up at the end of the post looks perfect.  I'd stick with that.  Waaay too many options earlier in the thread.  I was basically the same but don't carry a 3 wood.  The 5 wood is perfect and then go right to the 4 iron.  I've been able to vary the distance with the 5 wood and eliminate having 3 clubs cover the 200-230 distance.  From that far out your just looking at hitting the green or close enough for an easy up and down.

6 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Your proposed bag set up at the end of the post looks perfect.  I'd stick with that.  Waaay too many options earlier in the thread. ...

OTH, I've cautioned you against pursuing all possible options. Let's not get carried away...

If you have no hybrids, a 5W could help out. Basically, if you go with 4di or 4i as final club, you should be OK most of the time. Under normal conditions, you probably want the "4" club that best splits the distance between 5W and 5i.

And, compliments are in order... it looks like you have retained a variation of Sweet 16:-D

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Funny this thread showed up. I have been in house the past week fighting a decent, industrial strength chest cold. 

Being bored, I started rummaging through my golf stuff. I relocated my old set of Tour Edge, Bazooka, Ironwoods. 2-LW (12 Irons). Oh the memories playing those clubs. Folks would see them and ask if they were legal to use. 

I decided that once I kick this chest cold, I am going to play these irons with my 3W, with my putter finishing out my 14 club bag. Maybe later I will drop a couple of wedges, and add a couple of metal woods. I pick them up tomorrow from the pro-shop after the new grips have been installed. 

I am not planning on any better scoring, in fact it will probably be the opposite. I am just looking at getting more interest out of my game. Giving myself more to think about, while not being so complacent. :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, WUTiger said:

OTH, I've cautioned you against pursuing all possible options. Let's not get carried away...

If you have no hybrids, a 5W could help out. Basically, if you go with 4di or 4i as final club, you should be OK most of the time. Under normal conditions, you probably want the "4" club that best splits the distance between 5W and 5i.

And, compliments are in order... it looks like you have retained a variation of Sweet 16:-D

I figured 5-wood would be a good choice, because there are times I'm 205-220 out, and it's ok, do I choke down on my 3-wood or hit the 3-hybrid and hope it doesn't go into the third base seats? I'm actually more comfortable with a fairway wood than a hybrid for some reason.

So that's why I'm thinking that route. I'm actually thinking about "cheating" and having the 3 and 5 woods cut to 42.5" and 41.5" respectively. But keeping regaining the three swingweight points in doing this. 

The same with the going with a 44" driver.  Regain the six swingweight points after cutting it down. 

My clubhead speed is down to the low 100s. Though I think regular flex, is probably a stretch, a mid 60s gram stiff is not. I may end up with regular though... 

It's sad because I'm still relatively young (I'm only 30). And I just can't generate the clubhead speed I used to.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

It's sad because I'm still relatively young (I'm only 30). And I just can't generate the clubhead speed I used to.

Tiger Woods generated max clubhead speed early in his career, and torque tore his body up.

Looking ahead: I played stiff shafted clubs until I was 57, probably about four years too long. Besides losing distance, I lost what swing tempo I had trying to help the shaft.  

If you go to stiff and smooth out your swing, this will help your longevity. Also, it may open up some extra shot shapes since you don't need max muscle on each swing.

And don't despair... 100 MPH on the swing is definitely in the stiff range. If you go with too light a shaft, the torque rating goes up and you'll have trouble keeping the ball under control. Tom Wishon warns that when players first go to a lighter shaft, they tend to go too light.

I would say get on the launch monitor and use data and comparative feel to make your decisions. Don't rush it.

Edited by WUTiger
Add info.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 11/17/2017 at 12:11 AM, onthehunt526 said:

Ok, so one thing that will happen for sure, at 6'5" I need a longer putter, ...

Humorous remarks aside, at 6-foot-5 you may have some fitting needs which a 5-foot-8 guy (me) doesn't. If I may ask, what is your sleeve length? If  you have unusually long arms even for your height, a long shaft + long arms may exceed maximum desirable linkages. You might benefit from a shorter shaft.

13 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I figured 5-wood would be a good choice, because there are times I'm 205-220 out, and it's ok, do I choke down on my 3-wood or hit the 3-hybrid and hope it doesn't go into the third base seats?...

So that's why I'm thinking that route. I'm actually thinking about "cheating" and having the 3 and 5 woods cut to 42.5" and 41.5" respectively. ... The same with the going with a 44" driver.  ...

Your third base seats concern is insightful. In the GolfWorks fitting routine, someone who has impact marks scattered all over the clubface may benefit from a shorter shaft to increase center hits. This becomes really critical for longer clubs, especially the driver.

As far as choke down goes, several pros have suggested I choke down on the fairway woods when I hit them off the deck, rather than off the tee. It's easier to control that way. If I recall correctly,@Mr. Desmondhas commented before on the benefits of shorter shafts on fairway woods.

This winter my fairway woods get similar tests. My two Alphas:

• 14° (raised to 16°) with 43" shaft
  • 18° (raised to 20°) with 42.5" shaft

I want to try the 18° down to 17°, as a possible single FW, and the 16° with the 42.5" shaft. I may do better to trim each shaft a little to gain control. Or, I might just choke down from fairway.

Edited by WUTiger
Add Mr. D

6 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Humorous remarks aside, at 6-foot-5 you may have some fitting needs which a 5-foot-8 guy (me) doesn't. If I may ask, what is your sleeve length? If  you have unusually long arms even for your height, a long shaft + long arms may exceed maximum desirable linkages. You might benefit from a shorter shaft.

Your third base seats concern is insightful. In the GolfWorks fitting routine, someone who has impact marks scattered all over the clubface may benefit from a shorter shaft to increase center hits. This becomes really critical for longer clubs, especially the driver.

As far as choke down goes, several pros have suggested I choke down on the fairway woods when I hit them off the deck, rather than off the tee. It's easier to control that way. If I recall correctly,@Mr. Desmondhas commented before on the benefits of shorter shafts on fairway woods.

I want to try the 18° down to 17°, as a possible single FW, and the 16° with the 42.5" shaft. I may do better to trim each shaft a little to gain control. Or, I might just choke down from fairway.

With shorter length fairways, I've gained consistency with little or no penalty in distance because the quality of contact is better  - For a 3/4 wood, I'd go 42.5, 42 for a 5 wood, and 41 for a 7 wood.   If you are only using a 3 wd off the tee, 43 inches is fine - you want distance.  For driver, I think 44.5 with the right shaft is a good length - but that's for me. I don't want to lose too much on driver, and that's why 44.5 is the shortest I go. I also play my Ping at 45 inches. For a hybrid, I would not go more than .5 inches over the iron length and use a bit less weight in the lower lofted hybrids than your irons so you can get launch from a 19 or 22.  I tend to carry a 7 wd on not too breezy days, and when the wind really blows, I will bag the 19 hybrid.

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Informative 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I tend to carry a 7 wd on not too breezy days, and when the wind really blows, I will bag the 19 hybrid.

Sounds familiar. Before I switched out to a single hybrid (4H), I would carry a 3H from October to March (thin rough and high winds), and a 7W from April to September.

Interesting comments about FW shaft lengths. My 3W is 41, 5W id 40.5 and 7W is 40. Driver is 43. All were shortened. All distances increased as did accuracy. On the other hand, rarely carry even my 5W. My direct long iron replacement hybrid-irons serve me best. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

15 hours ago, WUTiger said:

To answer your sleeve length question, I have no clue. If it helps, my "wingspan" is 77" which coincidentally is also my height. That's why I say I have average length arms for my height. I have short legs considering my height (I only have a 32" inseam).

So a couple observations: 

I went through all my charts and notes and the small sample size I have from Game Golf... I definitely have a hole between fairway wood and "4" club. I can hit 3-hybrid a long way when I catch it well but too close to fairway wood.

Secondly, I definitely would benefit from a driving iron or two. Especially on days when my Driver takes the day off. Something that I can hit 200-220 to get the ball in play with when I lose confidence in the "Big Dog".

Finally, as was said before, if I go the driving iron route, I will not have it be more than a 1/2" longer than the standard iron it replaces. So if the standard length 4 driving iron is 39.75", and my 4-iron plays at 39.25". The driving iron will be standard length.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• 2 weeks later...

@WUTiger and others.

I ask you John because you play a second fairway wood. 

I've stunk it up with hybrids as a whole this year. I have an Adams DHY 21° that I really like that gets me out of trouble as good as a hybrid (It is exactly the same length as my 4-iron).

Am I going to lose anything playing a 5-wood over a comparable hybrid, (18° or 19°)?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

3 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Am I going to lose anything playing a 5-wood over a comparable hybrid, (18° or 19°)?

Your current sig lists 4W and 7W (like me).

Question: Would you go to  | 3W + 5W | or | 4W + 5W |? Not sure what long club mix you're considering.

If you have 3W and 5W, you should have good coverage. A 5W will get you out of the rough (FWs have denser heads than HYs), and is a reliable tee club for supertight par 4s.

If you went with the 21° DHY and a 5W, you should have good trajectory options and between your 3W and your irons.

I have talked to a couple of better players who struggle with hybrids, mainly overpowering them. If you have a 21° DHY and good clubhead speed, that may serve you better than a hybrid.

Would you get distance overlap if you carry both a 7W and the 21° DHY? (A 4W + 7W gives you a reliable pair, augmented by the DHY.)

2 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Your current sig lists 4W and 7W (like me).

Question: Would you go to  | 3W + 5W | or | 4W + 5W |? Not sure what long club mix you're considering.

If you have 3W and 5W, you should have good coverage. A 5W will get you out of the rough (FWs have denser heads than HYs), and is a reliable tee club for supertight par 4s.

If you went with the 21° DHY and a 5W, you should have good trajectory options and between your 3W and your irons.

I have talked to a couple of better players who struggle with hybrids, mainly overpowering them. If you have a 21° DHY and good clubhead speed, that may serve you better than a hybrid.

Would you get distance overlap if you carry both a 7W and the 21° DHY? (A 4W + 7W gives you a reliable pair, augmented by the DHY.)

With 4W + 7W probably. I'm looking more on the 3W + 5W + 4DI trio... I'm not trying to overcomplicate it as much. Just kind of a more settled "Sweet 16". Driver, 3W, 5W Or 3DI, 4DI or regular 4I, 5I-PW, AW, 54°, 58°, putter... I am going to get my putter lengthened to 37 or 38 inches due to my height... (Probably 37" to be honest).

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I tossed around the Charlie Beljan set-up for a bit, too. But I'd probably only ever use a 2-Driving Iron for exactly that, tee shots... So I dismissed it almost immediately.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

For what goes between Driver and 5i, it probably comes down to distance gaps.

I know some of the things you're thinking about - recently you worried about loss of brute strength. (Been there - I'm 67 and noticed the falloff quite a while agooooo.)

Would you have problems if you kept the 4W + 7W with 4 DHY?

The 4W and 7W give you a reliable team, and that 7W will really blow the ball out of medium rough it needed. The 4DHY would give you a lower launch if needed, but I take it you can hit it off fairway too.

One test: do a side by side with 4W and 3W... Which flies farther? I've seen big hitters like you launch the 4W longer, simply because of how they come into the ball.

If you hit down slightly on your FWs rather than sweeping, you might want to keep the 4W + 7W to prevent too much delofting.

Will playing without a 3W cost you strokes, or does the 3W + 5W look good because of some ideal yardage gap distances?

(As per this summer, avoid the all possible options trap - you can't achieve it: with only 14 clubs in the bag, there's always tradeoffs.)

Compared to me, you're still young and strong. Enjoy....:dance:

I have similar issues as you do with hooking hybrids and had a gap at the top of my bag. If you hit fairway woods well definitely go that route but depending on how you hit your longer irons it may be worth checking out the newer driving irons that have come out in the past couple years. I've put one into my bag and has filled the gap perfectly.

Note: This thread is 2179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!