IGNORED

How long is your golf commute?

cutchemist42
Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How long is your golf commute?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How long is your golf commute?

• 0-10mins
    • 11-20mins
    • 21-30mins
    • 31-40mins
    • 41++mins

2 hours ago, byrne092 said:

The handful of relatively close courses over here (Highlands, Forest Park, Tapa) are always slammed. It's nice to be able to go out and have a leisurely solo round every once and a while.

Have you tried Quail Creek near Suson Park (Affton)? It may be a bit out of your way, and I don't know how crowded the course is recently.

Sometimes Quail is swamped, other times they may have three foursomes an hour and that's about it. Key is finding gaps between leagues and scrambles.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1hr15 for me. I had a choice between paying around £1,300 for membership at a local course that's nothing special or £500 for a top 50 in the UK course a straight drive down the motorway. Basically have to play 6 rounds a year (guest fee £90 a round) to make it worthwhile and I've never doubted it being the right decision. During term time, I'll play once a month, so I don't mind it being a long day away, whereas if I want to practise, I'll go to a different range nearby or spend a long time down there. Totally worth it - a pain when there's motorway traffic though!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

The course I play the most is 10 minutes away. Less if I catch the green light.  Another course is right across the street. On a slow day, after leaving the house, I can be teeing off in 15-20 minutes on either one. 

Like others, a 40 minute drive brings several more courses into play. 

Longest, consistant drive I make to play,  is about 2 hours, at the Avi Resort, south of Laughlin, NV, has a real nice course I usually play 6 or more times a year. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 11/20/2017 at 3:51 PM, rehmwa said:

Being a member somewhere?  I'd hate that, variety is what makes this game so much more satisfying. 

This is  bit off topic, so I'll put it here

Spoiler

I can understand the preference for a lot of variety, but being a member of a club brings benefits that offsets the lack of variety.  I virtually never go out to play without playing with a friend.  I practice with my friends.  A majority of our non-work friends are golfers at our club.  We try new restaurants with friends  I've had the chance to go to Phoenix and Scotland and Ireland and Palm Springs because of those friends.  With local inter-club leagues, I get to play some of the nearby private clubs.  We have about a dozen club tournaments a year, and I love the competitions.  So yes, I play a large majority of my golf at a single course, but there are a lot of benefits to being a member of a club that outweigh lack of variety.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

10 hours ago, gill said:

Jealous of many in this thread... My local is 1h15, including a 30+ minutes walk...

30min walk after the drive?!?! What course is this? The parking lot is that far from the clubhouse???

13 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

30min walk after the drive?!?! What course is this? The parking lot is that far from the clubhouse???

the joy of Manhattan golfing... from my apartment its a ~10min walk to the subway, two trains then a ~20 min walk at the other end to get to Van Cortlandt which is generally the easiest to get to.

2 hours ago, gill said:

the joy of Manhattan golfing... from my apartment its a ~10min walk to the subway, two trains then a ~20 min walk at the other end to get to Van Cortlandt which is generally the easiest to get to.

Ah I see, yeah I always wondred what my golfing life would be like in a city like that.

Do you have to go equally as far to get to a driving range or practice area?

24 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Ah I see, yeah I always wondred what my golfing life would be like in a city like that.

Do you have to go equally as far to get to a driving range or practice area?

To get to an affordable one, pretty much.  We do have a driving range on Manhattan that hits out towards the Hudson river... it's cool, but it's about $30 for 100 balls during typical hours.

chelsea-piers-golf-club.jpg

Edited by gill
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gill said:

Is Van Cortlandt the only course uptown? I used to go there to the park as a kid but that was before I played golf.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:12 PM, tehuti said:

Is Van Cortlandt the only course uptown? I used to go there to the park as a kid but that was before I played golf.

It's the only one I'm really aware of uptown, except for Trump Golf Links which is technically a public course but is ~$230 for a typical round.  There are other public courses out in Queens/Brooklyn which are reachable by public transport but VC is the easiest for me in practice.

Less than 2 miles and a mere 5 minutes to my home course where I also work. I also have 24 other choices all under a 30 minute drive. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

It's an 8 minute drive by car and about the same by bike (I can use a short cut, no cars allowed).

On 22-11-2017 at 2:55 PM, DaveP043 said:

This is  bit off topic, so I'll put it here

Reveal hidden contents

I can understand the preference for a lot of variety, but being a member of a club brings benefits that offsets the lack of variety.  I virtually never go out to play without playing with a friend.  I practice with my friends.  A majority of our non-work friends are golfers at our club.  We try new restaurants with friends  I've had the chance to go to Phoenix and Scotland and Ireland and Palm Springs because of those friends.  With local inter-club leagues, I get to play some of the nearby private clubs.  We have about a dozen club tournaments a year, and I love the competitions.  So yes, I play a large majority of my golf at a single course, but there are a lot of benefits to being a member of a club that outweigh lack of variety.

I had this discussion with some of my friends who are not a member and I can only say you are 100% right.
The benefits outweigh the lack of variety.

Should have been an option for "Varies".  I live in a golf course community and, by cart, it takes me right at 8 minutes to get from my home to the golf course.  But, I also play in 2 different tournament leagues and the MGA at a club I used to belong to.  So, my commute time varies from 8 minutes up to about 1hour 30 minutes.  I play roughly 100 rounds ever year at courses other than the course where I live. 

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!