IGNORED

Titleist AVX (New Ball)

Note: This thread is 1296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just got the email from Titleist officially introducing the AVX.

Like I said I picked up a dozen late last year and have put it into play on several occasions and I really like it. I don't see huge differences between it and the ProV1x except in the spring winds in New Mexico I think the lower ball flight that it seems to create is beneficial. In the summer in wetter conditions I will have to see what happens, if lower ball flight affects carry too much when the ball isn't running I might have to go back to the Prov1X.

I am a Titleist guy, I have tried just about everything else out there, and I always come back. I bought a dozen Chrome Softs last spring for a really cheap and I found them to be okay, but when the money was on the line, I aways went with a Titleist. I know a lot of people hate on Titleist because of the price and I can understand that, but I get them at a discount that makes them about as cheap as you can find any premium ball.

2060032521_ScreenShot2018-05-01at9_08_34AM.png.8fe2512bdf02fc0796a193eeba903e00.png

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't heard about this ball but a few weeks ago someone started a thread asking for reviews about the Titleist Tour Soft, the replacement (I guess) for the NXT Tour. The thread seems to have disappeared. Anyway, I tried a sleeve earlier this week and can report that they are AWFUL. Reminds me of the old Titleist DT, a surlyn covered ball. Even with a well-struck short iron, the Tour Soft hits the green, takes one big bounce and goes either to the back of the green or over. 

Best ball I've hit recently is the 2018 version of the Bridgestone 330 RXS. Great distance, feel, and spin. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

On 12/27/2017 at 10:05 PM, NM Golf said:

I just picked up some AVX this week, I paid what I normally pay for ProV1s, less than $40 a dozen. Played it for the first time today, I can't say that I felt a huge difference between it and the Prov1x. It performed really well just like every Titleist ball I have ever played. It does look different from the ProV1x, the dimple pattern is completely changed. Distance was the same, spin off the irons was pretty much the same, playability around the green was really good. The durability was fantastic, I will probably play the same ball again tomorrow.

I will have to wait until spring to fully compare it to the ProV1x. The courses around here get much harder and faster in the winter so its hard to say how it will match up once it gets warmer and wetter.

Wow! Pro-V's are a lot less there than they are here. You have to fork over nearly half a hundy for a dozen. I do love finding so many of them lost on local courses.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:31 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Wow! Pro-V's are a lot less there than they are here. You have to fork over nearly half a hundy for a dozen. I do love finding so many of them lost on local courses.

I work at a golf course so I get them at cost. Additionally, for years in April they have run a buy 3 dozen get one free promotion. So I would pay about $100 for 4 dozen. 

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

I played a round in high winds yesterday and I am officially sold on the AVX. I hit several drives straight into the wind (25 mph sustained) and saw a penetrating ball flight I don't always get with the ProV1X. It was just a scramble tournament so I hit a couple extra shots with the ProV1x and it was very evident to me the difference. The biggest difference came on our last hole. The wind was absolutely humming straight into our face on this 150 yard par 3. It was a 3 club wind I hit 7 iron with the AVX hole high. It was beautiful. I took a ProV1X out and hit the same shot and it ballooned and landed 25 feet short of the hole. 

I am a high spin player and the more I read and the more I play with the AVX I like it. We ended up winning the tournament and I picked up a couple dozen with my gift certificate.

I was fortunate to spend a weekend with Titleist for a wedge and ball fitting in late March. Some of their golf ball management team from Massachusetts presented an on-range seminar on golf ball aerodynamics and the Titleist story, and spent the time explaining the differences in the ProV1 and AVX lineups. Seven of us attended the seminar - 5 of us were fit into the ProV1x, 1 into AVX and another was told he could go in either ProV1 or AVX.

In the lineups described, most golfers need the spin  and launch of the ProV1x  and its steeper descent angle. It is also has excellent stopping power on the greens (slightly more than ProV1). The ProV1 is for higher speed players, and the AVX was primarily designed for players who spin and/or launch the ProV1 excessively. The 2 players who tried the AVX over 2 days of play found that their flight did  flatten out and that it reduced spin and launch (also has different aerodynamcis - dimple pattern). They reported longer distances off mid to short irons, a soft feel but less spin around the greens (which Titleist discussed). After a few more rounds at home the AVX players adapted to the lower spin around the greens and are using it as their ball of choice.

Of course, you can use whatever ball you like even if is not primarily designed for your game, because it's your game and your comfort level. Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I tried a sleeve of these this weekend. I did find good distance and feel off all clubs. The feel off the putter was good. I can't comment on greenside as I am not a great spinner of the ball, but it seemed ok. I need a little more experience with the ball to comment on greenside compatibility.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I found one yesterday, brand spanking new fished out of a pond (while I was waiting for the 2 duffers I joined to catch up).  Played it the rest of the round and loved it.  I don't think I'd heard of an AVX before....

Not much difference vs the ProV1 I usually play.  I 'feel' like it was a tad softer than the V1 or V1x (for irons.  I couldn't feel much diff on drives...) Flew great, matched my normal distances.  I wasn't shaping much that round so can't comment on that.

Looking at it I had the impression the dimples look bigger.

I wouldn't pay for it though, and I have a huge stock already of V1 and V1x.  And I seem to be getting better results with the V1x's, so my game is likely going away rather than towards the AVX.  But then, I don't much about golf ball fitting - I just play what feels right that seems to repeat.

Bill - 

• Administrator
On 5/13/2018 at 1:33 PM, NM Golf said:

I played a round in high winds yesterday and I am officially sold on the AVX. I hit several drives straight into the wind (25 mph sustained) and saw a penetrating ball flight I don't always get with the ProV1X. It was just a scramble tournament so I hit a couple extra shots with the ProV1x and it was very evident to me the difference. The biggest difference came on our last hole. The wind was absolutely humming straight into our face on this 150 yard par 3. It was a 3 club wind I hit 7 iron with the AVX hole high. It was beautiful. I took a ProV1X out and hit the same shot and it ballooned and landed 25 feet short of the hole. 

I am a high spin player and the more I read and the more I play with the AVX I like it. We ended up winning the tournament and I picked up a couple dozen with my gift certificate.

You realize they basically "flipped" the Pro V1/V1x these days. The 2018 Pro V1 is more like the 2016 Pro V1x (and vice versa). The 2018 Pro V1x is the higher spinning four-piece ball. The only thing that really stayed the same is that the V1 is softer feeling.

https://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/pro-v1-pro-v1x#V

https://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/pro-v1-pro-v1x#X

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 9.19.02 PM.png

So the better comparison may have been AVX vs. Pro V1.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 5/21/2018 at 7:20 PM, iacas said:

You realize they basically "flipped" the Pro V1/V1x these days. The 2018 Pro V1 is more like the 2016 Pro V1x (and vice versa). The 2018 Pro V1x is the higher spinning four-piece ball. The only thing that really stayed the same is that the V1 is softer feeling.

https://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/pro-v1-pro-v1x#V

https://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/pro-v1-pro-v1x#X

So the better comparison may have been AVX vs. Pro V1.

Could be, I just didn't have any ProV1 in my bag to test against it. Interesting how they have swapped the two like that. Either way, I continue to be impressed with the AVX. As I have said I normally do not see a lot of difference in playability from one tour ball to the next, but I see a big difference in the AVX.

On 5/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, NM Golf said:

What iacas said above - the ProV1 v. AVX is the comparison that is valid for most. The V1x has more spin and launch than V1 or AVX. Sure, you see Justin Thomas and others playing the ProV1x v. ProV1 - and Titleist said the ratio is now about 50-50 between the 2 balls whereas before the V1x held the upper hand - but as iacas stated, Titleist changed the ball. If ProV1 goes too high and spinny, try AVX. If ProV1 works, stay with it as it has more control around the greens.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 1 month later...

I found a brand new Titleist AVX the other day and I keep forgetting to play it. Anyone using the ball yet? If so, what do you think? 

Link for reference. 

https://www.titleist.com/product/titleist-avx/001AVXT.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwgr3ZBRAAEiwAGVssnV5ZBkzICuRDo4oXM_lJnKreM8SFHDZ4N0IUCO2cZseSoMt45jjFbRoCe2UQAvD_BwE

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Good ball, plays lower flight than V or V1x, lower spin too but can still hold greens, good into the wind.  Try it.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

2 hours ago, paperclip said:

Good ball, plays lower flight than V or V1x, lower spin too but can still hold greens, good into the wind.  Try it.

Lower flight interests me

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

There is a recent video by Rick Shiels. You can see it on You Tube. He compares all three balls on the course. Conclusions: short game all three balls are identical. Long game, AVX is slightly lower spin and slightly lower flight.

• Thumbs Up 1

The big difference is lower spin off the middle irons (which will give you a few extra yards) and a lower trajectory off the driver and fairway woods. Not sure if those 2 things make it worth while changing from a ProV1, since te price point is the same. If you’re going to drop $48 bucks a dozen, you might as well get the “#1 ball in golf”. Just my 2¢. 

In my bag:
Driver - Callaway X 460 Tour stiff, 3 Wood - Callaway Diablo 15° stiff, 7 Wood - Callaway Diablo 21° stiff, Irons - Ping Zing black dots 5-SW regular steel, Putter - Ping Anser, Ball - Titleist Pro V1, Bag - Callaway X22 Red stand bag, Shoes - Nike Air Zoom Elite II bronze

I don't really know why they released a third ball in the same price range. Maybe they did some market research and saw enough of a demand for this type of ball, but it's just weird to me. Just another ball I won't buy due to the price and my propensity for losing them on the course.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

13 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I don't really know why they released a third ball in the same price range. Maybe they did some market research and saw enough of a demand for this type of ball, but it's just weird to me. Just another ball I won't buy due to the price and my propensity for losing them on the course.

Yeah me too. I can lose a ball putting...

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!