IGNORED

Titleist AVX (New Ball)

Note: This thread is 1276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone hear or have experience w these?  $80 a dozen where I saw them, and I think that's what titleist required in the CA, FL, AZ test markets.  If I had anything resembling a decent game I would have bought them just to test.

12 hours ago, bones75 said:

$80 a dozen where I saw them, and I think that's what titleist required in the CA, FL, AZ test markets.

On the Titleist website, one guy who tried them mentioned a price of $48 a dozen.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, bones75 said:

Anyone hear or have experience w these?  $80 a dozen where I saw them, and I think that's what titleist required in the CA, FL, AZ test markets.  If I had anything resembling a decent game I would have bought them just to test.

I don't know what Titleist is attempting to do other than introduce their version of a Chrome Soft at a ProV1 price - good distance, soft feel, good spin around greens is what I see posted. For people who were buying Chrome Soft, and Titleist did not want people to desert the Titleist brand... still, worth $10 more than a Chrome Soft? And Callaway is introducing a revolutionary Chrome Soft and CS-X in 2018... Still the AVX will probably be enough to keep most Titleist loyalists at home.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• iacas changed the title to Titleist AVX (New Ball)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I took a survey and these balls were presented as "options." It became clear that Titleist had commissioned the poll.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.16.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.17.10 AM.png

You can see the AVX, but also the Pro V1 LS (low spin).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I saw them in my pro shop but didn’t buy any. It’s becoming a very challenging time for titleist in the ball market considering all the “comparable” balls coming out in the $28-35 price range. That’s not to say I don’t put a ProVx into play for a big tournament but I’m not buying proVs by the dozens anymore. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

The green grass pro shop near me began sellng the AVX recently at $14.50 per sleeve. I spoke a second with the Pro, and I said, "It's getting some positive review for its soft feel and distance but the price is sticker shock for some. He said, "It's simply a NXT with a ProV1 cover," and shook his head in disgust at the mention of the price.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Saw these at the PGA superstore yesterday.   I absolutely love them.  not because I've played them, or really care to.  but, because they are the new hot thing, Superstore lowered the price of the Pro V1s to $35 for the holidays.  which is pretty cool.  

on that note:  I now have two unopened boxes of Pro V1's, 2 unopened boxes of Snell MTBs, a couple sleeves of MTB's, and an unopened box of TP5s.   I'm pretty much fully stocked for the 2018 season and it's only December.    so that's pretty awesome.  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I just picked up some AVX this week, I paid what I normally pay for ProV1s, less than $40 a dozen. Played it for the first time today, I can't say that I felt a huge difference between it and the Prov1x. It performed really well just like every Titleist ball I have ever played. It does look different from the ProV1x, the dimple pattern is completely changed. Distance was the same, spin off the irons was pretty much the same, playability around the green was really good. The durability was fantastic, I will probably play the same ball again tomorrow.

I will have to wait until spring to fully compare it to the ProV1x. The courses around here get much harder and faster in the winter so its hard to say how it will match up once it gets warmer and wetter.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 12/14/2017 at 9:35 AM, Mr. Desmond said:

The green grass pro shop near me began sellng the AVX recently at $14.50 per sleeve. I spoke a second with the Pro, and I said, "It's getting some positive review for its soft feel and distance but the price is sticker shock for some. He said, "It's simply a NXT with a ProV1 cover," and shook his head in disgust at the mention of the price.

Upon further review of the Titleist site, regarding the assistant pro's summary of the ball - the cover of the AVX is not a ProV cover - it's a new formulation. I'd like to see more data on greenside and partial wedge spin because I can't see Titleist giving the AVX the same or more greenside spin than their premium ProV line. My guess is that this is an attempt at a Chrome Soft without as much greenside spin, i.e.,  lower compression with urethane cover, but not Tour Level spin around the greens. Would like to hear more...

Edited by Mr. Desmond

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I'd like to see more data on greenside and partial wedge spin because I can't see Titleist giving the AVX the same or more greenside spin than their premium ProV line.

Isn't it being sold for the same amount as the Pro V1/V1x?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Isn't it being sold for the same amount as the Pro V1/V1x?

Yes, it is. I don't quite understand how it fits into their lineup except as a softer compression premium ball?

• 1 month later...

What is the deal with these balls. My guy who gives me about 2 dozen prov' s every month gave me my normal bag. It had a few of these new AVX balls. I noticed a different dimple pattern and seems really soft. Any feed back from playing them yet? 

Trollin' is the life

I picked up a box when I was in Florida last week.  The dimple pattern looks suspiciously like the 330RX and pretty well plays like it too.  Seems to have better greenside spin than the RX but not a good as a V1, has a slightly lower flight than the V1 or V1x and I didn't think it was a good in the wind.  Feels a bit softer than a V1.  For the same price, I would rather play the V1.

• Like 1

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

5 hours ago, paperclip said:

I picked up a box when I was in Florida last week.  The dimple pattern looks suspiciously like the 330RX and pretty well plays like it too.  Seems to have better greenside spin than the RX but not a good as a V1, has a slightly lower flight than the V1 or V1x and I didn't think it was a good in the wind.  Feels a bit softer than a V1.  For the same price, I would rather play the V1.

Lower ball flight and not as much spin but not as good in the wind?

Trollin' is the life

I really like the chrome soft. I considered switching to it last year. So i was intrigued when i heard about the AVX.  But if Titliest is going to offer their version of it at a higher price point i think ill pass. Ill just use the chrome soft..lol

On 3/1/2018 at 9:31 AM, MuniGrit said:

Lower ball flight and not as much spin but not as good in the wind?

It was a breezy day and wind seemed to take it quite a bit.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Note: This thread is 1276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!