Sign in to follow this  
iacas

Yardages Throughout the Bag

Note: This thread is 810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

82 posts / 6169 viewsLast Reply

I'd make this a poll, but I think the answers might be confusing, because maybe you don't have all of these clubs, or you're longer with your hybrid but shorter with your wedges… or whatever.

But basically, here's the question: Locate your driver carry yardage below, and share in a post whether the other yardages are pretty close, longer, or shorter than you hit them. If they're off, are they mostly correct but your driver yardage is off, or are they just off toward one end of the list (i.e. your shorter clubs are off, but the rest are pretty accurate, for example)?

longleaf.jpg

Just curious.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty close, but the irons are a bit shorter than my maximum carries. I'd assume that these are normal on course distances which are not actually maximum distance swings?

I'm sitting in between the 275 and 250 driver tiers, and for the most part the distance seem pretty spot on for me.  Except my wedges, I hit my 52* about 100-105, my 56* about 90-95, and my 58* in the 80-85 range.  This does leave me with a gap about 110-115 that requires I use about a 3/4 pitching wedge.

Really close, except wedges are a bit shorter. When I began playing again, I used a similar chart on the course until I got my distances pretty well down. Marv-

I'll go with lilac: somewhere between white and purple.  That would be the flat, no wind to speak of, calculation.  There is no roll, in these parts, most of the time and I don't know how far, specifically, the longer clubs carry.

It's pretty close for me up until about the 5I, where my poor ballstriking starts to affect my average carry distances more. My smash factor doesn't scale up the longer clubs properly.

My driver would put me between Red and Black.  For the most part my distances are within 5 yds of the chart.  I do typically hit my 3h farther though

I'm somewhere between white and purple.

Driver has most variability: carry between 200 and 220, with quite a bit of rollout.

4W: About 190 + 10-20 yds run.

5i: about 160 yds, carry not much rollout

9i: about 120 yds. carry.

PW: 48° = about 95 yds. carry / SW 54 = About 82 yrs. carry / LW... don't use it on full shots. (My wedge shafts are heavier than iron shafts// on PW/SW, I can pick up a few extra yards if I play ball back and deloft the club; also, I can choke down on 9i to shave yardage)

I always thought my irons were short based on my driver distance, but according to this chart, some of my irons are long and some are short.  It kind of varies up and down.  

I am longer than the chart from 3-hybrid down to 7 iron, then there is a big gap between my 7 iron and my 8 iron, with my 8-iron on through my wedges being shorter than the chart.  It's weird.  I need to think about this. 

Edited by Marty2019

11 hours ago, billchao said:

It's pretty close for me up until about the 5I, where my poor ballstriking starts to affect my average carry distances more. My smash factor doesn't scale up the longer clubs properly.

Same with me. Purple is the closest for me. Mishits on the longer clubs can shorten the distance, but in general this one is close.

I don't know my carry distances (versus total), but I don't get the impression that my irons or wedges run that long, and it looks to match for me (I'm somewhere between white and purple).  

I also haven't hit a full gap, sand, or lob wedge in ages.  Until yesterday, hadn't hit my lob wedge period in a while -- dug out my old LW to try. So I don't know how full those are.

Gap I've just gone to the "flight" shots Mike described a year or so ago, but I'm debating getting the iron-set gap wedge and I would estimate a full shot in the right area from this chart. 

Note: This thread is 810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!