IGNORED

The Best Golf Courses in Every State

Note: This thread is 1814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Great List. Actually one of my Golf Bucket Lists is to play the #1 ranked course in every state. Using Golf Digest as the primary ranking and the Golf.com ranking as needed. That be a pretty cool thing to pull off, but I imagine difficult and expensive as well. Working on my first one this fall...Kiva Dunes in Alabama. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Great List. Actually one of my Golf Bucket Lists is to play the #1 ranked course in every state. Using Golf Digest as the primary ranking and the Golf.com ranking as needed. That be a pretty cool thing to pull off, but I imagine difficult and expensive as well. Working on my first one this fall...Kiva Dunes in Alabama. 

oops I meant to say every top rated public course per state. 

I've played the following:

Massachusetts:

• TPC Boston

New York:

• Bethpage Black

California:

• Torrey Pines South

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I've got at least a few of these:

Delaware, #2 Bayside Resort

Hawaii, #2 Prince, #3 Plantation, 4 more of 15 listed

Maryland, #1 Congressional Blue, #5 Congressional Gold

Michigan #1, Crystal Downs

North Carolina, #2 Pinehurst 2, 4 more of 25 listed

Virginia, #6 Trump National

Wisconsin, #1 Whistling Straits, #4 Blackwolf Run River, #9 Blackwolf Run Meadow Valley

Its like any Best of... list, so much interpretation and opinion, but its fun to read through.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I didn't expect to have played any of the courses on the list, but I was pleasantly surprised. I've played Hollywood GC in Deal, NJ (#15 on the list) with @SavvySwede.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I’ve played a few.  I’m with @DaveP043, the list is nice but subjective but cool to talk about the courses.  

Arizona - Quintero, We-Ko-Pa (Saguaro) and Troon North (Monument)

California - Torrey Pines (South Course)

Florida - Calusa Pines

Hawaii - Kapalua Plantation Course, Makai Golf Club

Maine - Sugarloaf Golf Course

Maryland - Congressional Blue, BCC (East Course), Caves Valley, Whiskey Creek

North Carolina - Pinehurst #2, Tobacco Road

Nevada - Wolf Creek

Pennsylvania - Stonewall (Old Course), Nemacolin (Mystic Rock)

Virginia - Omni Homestead Cascades, Ballyhack, Trump Nat’l (Championship), Golden Horseshoe (Gold), Full Cry at Keswick, Mattaponi Springs, Bay Creek - Nicklaus

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Golf Digest's rankings are, uh, not great. Read this if you're curious: http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/golf-digest-bad-ratings. Biggest problem - nearly 40% of the rating has nothing to do with how "great" the course is, in my opinion. An "ambience" rating should not be on a golf course ranking. Also, resistance to scoring? A great golf course does not have to be difficult (see the Old Course without wind).

That said, I've played a couple of these:

• Pinehurst #2 (2nd in NC)
  • Ballyneall (2nd in CO)
  • A few others in Colorado, not worth mentioning
  • Torrey Pines South (22nd in CA)

Ballyneal and Pinehurst were great, a little shocked they're both #2 in the state. I haven't played the #1 course in either state, and probably never will, but I really doubt a Jack Nicklaus design should be ahead of the masterpiece that is Ballyneal.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I've played (more than I thought):

•     New Jersey
    •     Forsgate C.C. (Banks), Monroe Township
  •     North Carolina
    •     Old North State Club, New London
  •     South Carolina
    •     Harbour Town G. Links, Hilton Head Island
    •     Greenville C.C. (Chanticleer)
    •     Musgrove Mill G.C., Clinton
    •     The Cliffs At Keowee Vineyards G.C., Sunset
    •     The Dunes G. & Beach Club, Myrtle Beach
    •     Haig Point Club (Signature), Daufuskie Island
  •     Virginia
    •     Kingsmill Resort & G.C. (River), Williamsburg

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

46 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

@DaveP043, How were you able to play here?   I hear it's pretty exclusive..

I wish I knew!  I was in college at the time, so it was in the late 70s, and my uncle, a retired hospital administrator, pulled some strings somehow.  I wish I remembered it better, or had a chance to play it now, as I have a lot more experience.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I have played a few:

Colorado

• #3 Cherry Hills CC
  • #5 Sanctuary
  • #6 The Broadmoor

North Carolina

• #2 Pinehurst #2
  • #20 Pinehurst #8

South Carolina

• #4 Harbor Town Golf Links

Michigan

• #16 Grand Traverse Resort (The Bear)

New Mexico

• I have played 9 of the top 10 the only one I haven't played is Rockwind

Pretty subjective, obviously, but the best of the courses I have played of the above are:

1. Pinehurst #2 (NC)
  2. The Bear (MI)
  3. Sanctuary (CO)
  4. Las Campanas (NM)

There is a course on the NM list that is an absolute travesty thats its on there. Black Mesa Golf Club is one of the worst courses I have played. In fact I have never met anyone that liked it. 

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

2 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I have played a few:

Colorado

• #3 Cherry Hills CC
  • #5 Sanctuary
  • #6 Broadmore

North Carolina

• #2 Pinehurst #2
  • #20 Pinehurst #8

South Carolina

• #4 Harbor Town Golf Links

Michigan

• #16 Grand Traverse Resort (The Bear)

New Mexico

• I have played 9 of the top 10 the only one I haven't played is Rockwind

Pretty subjective, obviously, but the best of the courses I have played of the above are:

1. Pinehurst #2 (NC)
  2. The Bear (MI)
  3. Sanctuary (CO)
  4. Las Campanas (NM)

There is a course on the NM list that is an absolute travesty thats its on there. Black Mesa Golf Club is one of the worst courses I have played. In fact I have never met anyone that liked it. 

@NM Golf how is the Broadmoor Course? Did you enjoy it? My in-laws live in Colorado Springs now, and my wife and I are hoping to stay at that resort at some point while they live up there. 

@HJJ003 It's a good course it was a lot of fun. We played a few weeks after the US Women's Open there in 2011. It was in pristine shape. It is not as difficult as you would think for a course that hosts US Opens. I played the back tees and shot right around par. Like I said it was good but IMO there was nothing all that memorable about it.

Too bad Sanctuary is so difficult to get on, now that is a cool golf course. Know anyone at ReMax?

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 1814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!