IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge December 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for December, 2017! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a detailed post describing your practice every day during the month. Try to limit the number of very short or "ditto" type posts. Describe what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it in red text so I can notice it and give you the award.

Enjoy and practice hard!

Note: you can miss one day per monthly challenge if you have a good reason and still be eligible for the monthly award.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mirror work. I'm trying to see what's going on with the follow through.

Still maintaining the angles and the "straight lead arm" bit and the transfer with the hips first into the rotation and holding off the shoulders "feel".

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Rotation drills this morning to help with early extension. Butt against chair and keeping shoulder low. Hopefully hitting up the range after work.

Edited by byrne092

Driver: :tmade: SLDR

Woods: :ping: Rapture 3 Wood

Hybrid: :tmade: R7 Rescue 3H

Irons: :mizuno: JPX900 HM 4-GW

Putter: :odyssey: OG White Hot

Did the 28 different "Motion" drills from the Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy Technical Week Plan.  Hit 8 balls with each drill.  The purpose of the drills is to improve balance, strength, rhythm, tempo and speed. Also hit 10 drivers using the Swing Speed Radar as I am working on improving my swing speed.  Total time 4 hours. 

SSR.jpg

• Like 1

12/1/17:

Slow rehearsal swings in front of the mirror this morning. Then putted a bit after work this evening. Focused this morning on positions. Focused on bead this evening. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Hit way too many balls on the range today. Halfway through my form was total crap. I didn’t need a mirror to see how crappy it was.

Taking a rest the weekend except for the 5 minute sessions.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Dec 2.   Spent 3 1/2 hours on the range.   Did 27 Drills which build skills and technique as part of the Six Step Process taught by the Gary Gilchrist Academy.   Each drill required hitting 8 balls.  Also did 6 drills to improve clubhead speed from the book, "Train for Golf Like an Olympian" by Huffman and Gilchrist.   Nap time!! :-)

More mirror work. Am trying to minimize the amount of motion in my swing. Keeping my head steady (key 1) makes the swing seem more efficient.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

12/2/17:

5-wood vs 3-hybrid vs 3-driving iron analysis today... Honestly I don't know which one is going to end up in the bag.

For practice purposes, I cont'd my work with stronger grip, spine tilt, and three-quarter swing as my full swing thoughts. Hit balls for about 15 minutes today on an indoor simulator.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

At 12-2 went to the range. Was in a hurry, so it wasn't the most effective session. I've been having big issues with the driver (hitting down and on the heel, disconnected swing, lots of EE) I was working on slow deliberate swings, butt back, swing out, release hands. 

I'm on my way to play 18 now.

17 hours ago, Lihu said:

More mirror work. Am trying to minimize the amount of motion in my swing. Keeping my head steady (key 1) makes the swing seem more efficient.

Working on minimal effort weight transfer (key 2). Using the mirror to watch the keys, and keeping my spine angle. Trying not to let the ribs compress anywhere.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Dec 3   Day 3   Did the same 28 different "Motion" drills from the Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy Technical Week Plan.  Hit 8 balls with each drill.  The purpose of the drills is to improve balance, strength, rhythm, tempo and speed.  Specifically focused on keeping a steady head position.   Also worked with the Super Speed Golf System - Protocol 2 working to increase swing speed.  3 hours plus..now time for lunch.

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

Working on minimal effort weight transfer (key 2). Using the mirror to watch the keys, and keeping my spine angle. Trying not to let the ribs compress anywhere.

Worked on actual balls this evening.

Lowering my tee and turning my shoulders more was key in getting my distances reasonable in 58F to 60F conditions on the driving range. Guessing that the denser drier-colder air is making the optimal flight lower?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

12/3/17:

Slow position finding swings specifically A1-A4, just trying to make sure everything is in check. 

This is going to be a definite challenge this winter to attempt to go for an entire year of the practice challenge. But I have to go for it, It's my goal.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

Worked on actual balls this evening.

Lowering my tee and turning my shoulders more was key in getting my distances reasonable in 58F to 60F conditions on the driving range. Guessing that the denser drier-colder air is making the optimal flight lower?

Using the club simulator to hit a tee. Attempting to hit the sweet spot more often using this more relaxed swing with a mirror to check movement.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Dec 4   Day 4.   Spent an hour on the putting green at Stone Creek Golf Club working on my lag putting using drills from the book, "Make More Putts!"       Then spent time with a Titleist Club Fitter to see if the new 918 AP1 Irons would be a good replacement for my 914 AP1s.   The result is that I am hitting the ball further and with a tighter dispersion with my present clubs.   We tried the AP3, different shafts, etc. nothing out performed what I have been using.  So I just saved $1000!!!   And have great peace of mind and confidence in my present clubs. 

Mirror work on posture and takeaway/A2 position. I have a tendency to start with my arms, which pulls my arns awsy from my body. 

Edited by byrne092

12/4/17:

Posture drills at work along with my flat left wrist, spatula drill.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 2301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!