IGNORED

Do you believe that Repetitive Motion (even exercise) builds stress in the body ?

JCrane
Note: This thread is 2269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I asked my wife about this. A repetitive exercise is a good way to relieve stress, both mentally, and physically. Now here's the deal. It's a good way to relieve stress as long as the person doesn't over do it. 

If a person over does any exercise regimine, they can injure them selves. An injury to one's body will cause both mental, and physical stress. The mental side being worried, or dealing with pain. The physical stress would come from other body parts getting stressed while physically protecting the injured part of the body. 

A correctly used  exercise program, repetitive, or not, is abgood thing. It gives the person a healthy, strong mental, and physical body, which is resistant to stress. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, Patch said:

I asked my wife about this. A repetitive exercise is a good way to relieve stress, both mentally, and physically. Now here's the deal. It's a good way to relieve stress as long as the person doesn't over do it. 

If a person over does any exercise regimine, they can injure them selves. An injury to one's body will cause both mental, and physical stress. The mental side being worried, or dealing with pain. The physical stress would come from other body parts getting stressed while physically protecting the injured part of the body. 

A correctly used  exercise program, repetitive, or not, is abgood thing. It gives the person a healthy, strong mental, and physical body, which is resistant to stress. 

First of all : you are a smart man because you sought advice from a top expert, your wife. Everyone knows wives know better. LOL

You brought up some good points. Repetitive exercise is good unless overdone. I constantly struggle with finding that point of maximum benefit. 

If you read these posts you will see that there are people who believe that we should quote from studies and state things as fact.

My experience has taught me that there are always variables to almost anything and everyone must experiment to find out what works for them.

I wish there was one answer, Life would be a lot simpler, but I think it is much healthier to get feedback from others and find out what their experiences are and put them to the test if it makes sense.

That is why I posted this as a question and not a fact

Thanks for Posting

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, JCrane said:

If you read these posts you will see that there are people who believe that we should quote from studies and state things as fact.

My experience has taught me that there are always variables to almost anything and everyone must experiment to find out what works for them.

This is primarily true, but generalizations are a good starting point.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, JCrane said:

That is why I posted this as a question and not a fact

It is a fact. Repetitive motion causes stress and break down. If not then the human body would not degrade over time into old age. It doesn't matter if you hardly move most of your life.

I listened to a great podcast interview by Sam Harris with Geoffrey West.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/from-cells-to-cities

Just a bit on Geoffrey West,

Geoffrey West is a theoretical physicist whose primary interests have been in fundamental questions in physics and biology. He is a Senior Fellow at Los Alamos National Laboratory and a distinguished professor at the Sante Fe Institute, where he served as the president from 2005-2009. In 2006 he was named to Time’s list of “The 100 Most Influential People in the World.”

The podcast went into great depth on scaling laws.

He went into something interesting. The human heart have a finite amount of heart beats before it breaks down. I can't remember the number off the top of my head. What does the heart do over and over again, repetitive motion.

It doesn't matter, motion will break down the body.

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

When older adults engage in physical activity, they must be aware of their limitations and the amount of activity their bodies can handle. As a golfer in my fifties, I have to accept that I cannot play a physical golf game as I did in my twenties. I have a different body in my fifties. Therefore, just play bogey-double bogey ball and enjoy being able to go on the golf course at my Senior age. 

19 hours ago, saevel25 said:

He went into something interesting. The human heart have a finite amount of heart beats before it breaks down.

Horse hockey.

If that was true, people who sat around all day and never elevated their heart rate via exercise would live the longest. Yet, those people are the most likely to die of heart disease.

Your muscles in particular (of which your heart is one) have the ability to regenerate and maintain themselves. Your organs are a different story. If you exercise your muscles regularly (including your heart) you are more likely to die of some organ related failure than muscle/heart related failure.

As I've gotten older, I've come to believe that compound exercises (pull ups, push ups, squats) are better for me than muscle isolation exercises (preacher curls for example).

24 minutes ago, Lime Shark said:

Your muscles in particular (of which your heart is one) have the ability to regenerate and maintain themselves.

Correct in terms of regeneration. However, cardiac muscle, is different than skeletal muscle in its mechanism, and should not be used as comparison.

27 minutes ago, Lime Shark said:

If you exercise your muscles regularly (including your heart) you are more likely to die of some organ related failure than muscle/heart related failure.

While exercise has been correlated with reduced early death, never seen statistics in terms of exercise's effect on heart disease vs other organ failure as a cause of death.

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2017 at 12:50 PM, JCrane said:

Do you believe that repetitive motion, that is doing the same motion over and over again will create stress in the body ? Lets hear your opinion . I will give you mine later  Thanks for sharing

Great responses as usual the information has added to what I already know. It amazes me the huge knowledge base we have on this forum. 

yes, I believe that even simple things like standing, sitting and walking do create stress in the body. I remember so many years ago learning that in India they generally did not use toilets and instead had holes in the ground. This made sense to me because much of the country is poor and could not afford toilets, so they were left with a primitive way of relieving themselves.

Only after studying Yoga later on did I change my mind and started  thinking maybe  we were the primitive ones because they had loose hips, while we moved from toilets to car seats to chairs.

So, it may be helpful to our overall health to  pay attention to what we are doing repetitively with our bodies and find ways of offsetting that that buildup of stress if we are starting to feel the accumulation. Bottom line : pay attention and listen

On 12/6/2017 at 3:11 PM, saevel25 said:

He went into something interesting. The human heart have a finite amount of heart beats before it breaks down. I can't remember the number off the top of my head. What does the heart do over and over again, repetitive motion.

It doesn't matter, motion will break down the body.

Looks Iike this is my excuse not to run or exercise anymore. Need to conserve heartbeats so I can live longer :-D

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Looks Iike this is my excuse not to run or exercise anymore. Need to conserve heartbeats so I can live longer :-D

I think that observation is just a statistical average among species? Like a mouse has a really high heart rate and lives a lot shorter life than us and tortoises have slow heartbeats and live a lot longer than us type of observation.

It's more likely that there are a lot more factors involved with that assertion?

Okay, or were you just using this as a reason to sit in front of a TV drinking beer and nuts? :-D

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!