IGNORED

Grades for Tiger's Performance (Hero 2017)

Seals
Note: This thread is 2296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Hey, hey, hey!

I'm a rational Tiger hater! :-D 

Honestly impressed with his play this past week, though I'll cheerfully admit that I enjoyed watching Saturday more than the other 3 days. ;-) 

Haha, I would give you some rep for the humor in this, but I don't want to encourage you! 

Instead, here's a Tiger fail gif for your enjoyment:

7788c8a0-1617-11e5-a4cd-013df2e4ea13_tigerclub.gif

Enjoy it while you can though... If he's actually healthy, you may have to deal with a few of these in 2018:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, joro said:

I heard them say he was scheduled for another back procedure.

I think you mis-heard.

14 minutes ago, joro said:

Posting the left leg, AKA locking it after/thru impact whips the club and injuries are plenty from that.    Lower back, shoulder, and knees are way too common from what the "GURUS" are teaching today.

Chris Como is not a "GURU". Dude knows his shit. Period.

And every golfer today extends the lead leg. It's better for your back than the old Reverse C stuff. Try it - put your arms outstretched over your head and arch/extend your back a little. Now bend your knees.

OUCH.

The pain isn't from doing what I call the "morning stretch" move. It's from 

Yes, if you overly "snap" it that can cause problems, but he's not doing that. I think people forget how violently he "snapped" it before.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would give him an A for far exceeding expectations. 

I have never been a huge Tiger fan because of all the coverage he got even when he was not in contention, but I am firmly rooting for a full comeback and would love to see him return to the top.

If he does get back to #1 at some point and win a few more majors, it would be very interesting to discuss what that does to the reputation/image of everyone else who won while he was away.  I think it would knock them down a few pegs in relation to their place in Golf history.

The present leaders are kind of like a heavyweight winning a vacated boxing title.  No one ever really knocked off the champ, and if he returns to form they will have lost the title when the old champ returned.  I don't know if I can look at any of them the way I have been if that happens.

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think you mis-heard.

Chris Como is not a "GURU". Dude knows his shit. Period.

And every golfer today extends the lead leg. It's better for your back than the old Reverse C stuff. Try it - put your arms outstretched over your head and arch/extend your back a little. Now bend your knees.

OUCH.

The pain isn't from doing what I call the "morning stretch" move. It's from 

Yes, if you overly "snap" it that can cause problems, but he's not doing that. I think people forget how violently he "snapped" it before.

I see, and of course  you are the man.     And surprisingly I know how to swing a club.     I managed a couple of Opens in my time, but thanks for the information.     Oh, by the way, I know my Shit too.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, joro said:

I see, and of course  you are the man.     And surprisingly I know how to swing a club.     I managed a couple of Opens in my time, but thanks for the information.     Oh, by the way, I know my Shit too.

Knock it off, man. It's not a pissing contest, and I get to share my opinion just as you do yours.

The post quoted here adds nothing to the discussion. I know how to swing a club. I've coached players who have played in British Opens (and U.S. Opens, and PGA Championships, etc.). And I don't know if you know your shit or not, because teaching and playing are two very, very different things.

I respond to a lot of people here. Yet you're going down the rabbit hole of thinking that I'm following you around and commenting repeatedly on things you say, when the opposite is far closer to the truth.

Your post didn't refute or even begin to discuss the things I said in my post.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For exceeding expectations, an "A".

For his play, a B+. Tiger would probably say that was his "B" game.

No one moves the needle like TIger; it's good for golf if he keeps exceeding expectations.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Knock it off, man. It's not a pissing contest, and I get to share my opinion just as you do yours.

The post quoted here adds nothing to the discussion. I know how to swing a club. I've coached players who have played in British Opens (and U.S. Opens, and PGA Championships, etc.). And I don't know if you know your shit or not, because teaching and playing are two very, very different things.

I respond to a lot of people here. Yet you're going down the rabbit hole of thinking that I'm following you around and commenting repeatedly on things you say, when the opposite is far closer to the truth.

Your post didn't refute or even begin to discuss the things I said in my post.

I am not having a pissing contest with you,  but overtime I say anything you come right on and dispute it.    Yes you do response and I cannot for the World you think you are the God of Golf.    There are a lot of people out there who know things.     Look I ido not really care what you or who you are, I came in here to try to help some people understand things, but obviously your goal is to allow that.      So quit being a know it all, you too can learn.   I hope you have Happy Hollidays, I am not really the A Hole you think I am.

Yeah I didn't realize the field of only 18 and no cut.  His -7 after Friday may have made that a moot point.Then again a larger field spreads out tee times and probably longer waits between holes on Thursday/Friday so those sub rounds may not have materialized to that degree.

Never-the-less, a year ago his golfing future looked to be club champ at the local putt-putt.  This is pretty close to the highest expectation for an injury prone 40 something.  His age is also a factor to consider.

John

• Administrator
1 minute ago, joro said:

I am not having a pissing contest with you

Your post added nothing to the discussion. You continued with your bullshit "you are the man" talk, said that you "know your shit" too, etc. You said nothing about what I actually posted.

1 minute ago, joro said:

but overtime I say anything you come right on and dispute it.

I already addressed that: I respond to a LOT of people here. I don't follow you around and respond to you specifically. You, on the other hand, by your post above, and this one, demonstrate that you do a fair bit of that, though.

1 minute ago, joro said:

Yes you do response and I cannot for the World you think you are the God of Golf.

Yeah, that's adding value to the discussion.

1 minute ago, joro said:

There are a lot of people out there who know things.

Of course there are. Chris is one of 'em.

Being a good teacher and being a good player are two very different things. Since we don't even know your name, we can't even verify that you're a good player (former good player), but on that I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

1 minute ago, joro said:

Look I ido not really care what you or who you are, I came in here to try to help some people understand things, but obviously your goal is to allow that.

Like I said, man, I get to have and share my opinions too.

I like to have discussions. Someone says something with which I disagree, or mostly agree but would like to tweak, and I post that. In a discussion, the other person responds to the actual thing being discussed. They don't post some bullshit pissing contest "God of Golf" bullshit.

You're not being prevented from "helping people understand things." You're free to post whatever you want. But so am I.

1 minute ago, joro said:

So quit being a know it all, you too can learn.

Please do tell… what did I have to learn about the actual topic being discussed from this drivel:

23 minutes ago, joro said:

Hmmmm?

Stick to discussing the actual topic, @joro. Pissing contests, comments like "God of Golf," and any other bullshit is not serving anyone's interests here.

I give Tiger's performance a B+ - strong field, drove the ball well, some rust, but he played as good or better as many of his younger competitors.  Staying healthy and competitive through the 72 holes should give him some confidence to start playing some regular tour events.  If he works on his chipping and short game he should be capable of winning again if his body holds out.  I think it will take 4-5 events to see where he really stands but he did better than I expected at the Hero.

I'd say a B+ for his play and scoring, but certainly and A+++ for health issues.

Now I didn't watch all of it, but I didn't see any hint or wince of pain, which is really the best news from the whole event.
The big thing now will be watching for Tiger to start to release his schedule - Torrey Pines?

Players play, tough players win!

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 1.45.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-04 at 1.44.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-04 at 1.42.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-04 at 1.42.38 PM.pngjordan-spieth-better-golf-move-1-tip.jpgGettyImages-839978520.jpg

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'll go with a solid B to B+. He played well, and even held the lead at one point in time. If he hadn't had the chipping/pitching issues he had (I counted about 4-5 flubbed or seriously overcooked shots), and Rickie hadn't played an insane round on Sunday, he could've been right up there in contention. The rest of his game was fairly solid though. 

I noticed it seems like his miss currently is a block or a slice out to the right, no idea if it has any relevance, just an observation.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, he used to really be brutal about snapping that left knee. His current swing is nowhere near as violent as how he used to swing, and is quite gentle on the body by comparison (while still producing plenty of power).

Edited by Pretzel
  • Like 1

Tiger gets a strong pass. He gets the "pass" for completed all four rounds.

He gets the "strong" for shooting -8 (three sub-par rounds out of 4) and finishing at mid-pack.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Like others, I agree that if we're grading his progress, he gets an A+. In a few short months, he went from mug shot to golf shot.

But grading against the field, I'd give him a B. Breaking it down further might be fun. Note, I didn't see any stats, so these are just my impressions watching (mostly) all 4 of his rounds.

Driving: A-

Long irons: A-

Mid/Short irons: B-

Chipping: C+

Putting: B

22 hours ago, joro said:

He was impressive, no doubt.     Now if only the Golf Channel would get off their knees in front of him it would be nice.    How long will it last though, that is the question.     Looking at his swing with the speed and the posting on his left leg it could be not long before he injures his leg and Back again.    I heard them say he was scheduled for another back procedure.     

Posting the left leg, AKA locking it after/thru impact whips the club and injuries are plenty from that.    Lower back, shoulder, and knees are way too common from what the "GURUS" are teaching today.

Why shouldn't The Golf Channel (and NBC) fawn all over this. From my point of view I wouldn't have paid much attention to this tournament if Woods wasn't competing. And from the coverage on ESPN and even the cable news networks his presence was huge for the game of golf. There's widespread interest in having the greatest player of the last 20 years once again be competitive. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!