IGNORED

Grades for Tiger's Performance (Hero 2017)

Seals
Note: This thread is 2296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, tdiii said:

I was a bit disturbed when a reporter asked him after his first round if she'd seen him take Advil during that round, to which he said yes.  But then he lied, saying he wasn't in pain but it was just his doctor's orders.  No way.  A MD might tell you to take advil if you were having symptoms but wouldn't just have you take it if all was great.  So, that bears watching. 

Nah, you can just take ibuprofen to proactively limit inflammation. If you're worried about swelling, it makes sense to take. We have a few doctors on here, and I think they'd back me up. There are benefits to advil beyond limiting pain.

On Tiger's grade, I give him an A, personally. 3 rounds under par after almost a year off is really good. I don't think there was anything out there that worried me for his comeback. Long game was good and can probably still get better. Obviously, long way to go with short game, but that always happens with Tiger when he's focusing on his full swing.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A.

I was really expecting him to play it safe and just pat pat the ball around. Really impressed with how much speed he was able to generate and the swing looked so controlled.

7 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Nah, you can just take ibuprofen to proactively limit inflammation. If you're worried about swelling, it makes sense to take. We have a few doctors on here, and I think they'd back me up. There are benefits to advil beyond limiting pain.

+1. Was just about to comment on this. If he was in pain I seriously doubt he would be playing and risking even further injury again.

Edited by Alx

A

What more could he ask for?

Id go A plus but for a little wooden on some short shots.

If he’s healthy not saying it’s his A game but he deserves an A for first time out

Glad to watch him play golf and hope he stays healthy for years

A.  Even with the limited field he played better than and nearly equal to younger guys in their prime. Just one tournament but it’s difficult to imagine anyone but Tiger doing that. 

Dave :-)

A.

He played injury-free, made a lot of great shots, has a few things to work on, but overall, for his first time back in a long time, I thought he did great. 

15 hours ago, billchao said:

B, which is remarkable considering he's been on the shelf for a year or more. I'm not grading on a curve just because of his injuries.

Agree.  He played well for not having competed in a long time, but he finished in the middle of a very limited field, at a relatively benign layout.

B.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I would give him an A. I don't think it's realistic to expect him to come out and win, which at his best would be the only thing that qualified for an A, so if you want to say I'm grading him on a curve then go for it. 

I didn't really see any negatives here. He drove it really pretty well. A couple of loose ones, but those have always been there. He's edging his way back into competition and it's going to take a little time to settle down. He holed out really well and his speed control on the longer putts yesterday looked better. He hit a lot of good chips. He hit a couple of squirrely ones too, but he was not alone in that regard. He hit a lot of good iron shots. Finished -8 and shot three rounds in the 60s. I'd say that was pretty darn good. He had the magic going on Friday front nine. Let that get away a little on the back. I think once he gets his competition sharpness back, that will get better. I think this is very encouraging. I think he'll win again and if he improves like I think he might, I think he might win a lot.

Considering the dude hasn't really played competitively in the past 24 months, id give him a A for that. 

But grading soley on performance, id give him a B. The short game needs a little tightening up. 

F for on his color sense. That shirt he was wearing yesterday wasn't red...

Edited by Groucho Valentine

I would say a "B". 3 of 4 rounds below par. The one, over par round knocked him out of an"A" grade. 

No matter. Tiger has to feel really good about his play, after his past history of not playing. There are bigger, and tougher tests still a head for him. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

In the context of his last few years, a strong A, in comparison to his competitors this weekend a B. If he can improve his game and stay healthy, they should be pretty scared. 

I will have to go with A. Not A- nor A+. Old school grading would fall in the 93-97% range, and for a first outing, I think this is fair. I think he checked most if not all the boxes of things that would indicate his potential for future success. Pain free, finished top half of field, good driving and putting, good ball speed, 3 rounds under par.  Competitive in a field over which for the most part he has 10-15 years in age. There were media comments ad nauseam about the 75, but I think the whole field shot in the 70's on Saturday.

As time goes on, I would use a sharper grading scale, as I am sure would Tiger. He will not be satisfied long term with middle of the pack, but for this one event, I think it was better than anyone could expect. A great start.

Edited by dbuck
forgot about the no cut-took made cut out of comment

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

14 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Come on, man! Everyone said this guy was done. That he should retire and do something else. He just beat world no.1 Dustin Johnson by eight shots over four days! How am I grading on a curve? 

Dustin Johnson had a bad week and would have missed the cut had there been one. That doesn't raise Tiger's grade in my eyes. As @David in FL said, he finished in the middle of a limited field on a relatively easy course. He played above average golf and I gave him an above average grade.

I acknowledged that it was impressive for him to play that well, being away from competitive golf so long due to his injuries. That doesn't earn more favorable grading from me. I'd probably give him an "A" if he was actually in contention, but he played solid golf and I gave him a solid grade.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

Dustin Johnson had a bad week and would have missed the cut had there been one. That doesn't raise Tiger's grade in my eyes. As @David in FL said, he finished in the middle of a limited field on a relatively easy course. He played above average golf and I gave him an above average grade.

I acknowledged that it was impressive for him to play that well, being away from competitive golf so long due to his injuries. That doesn't earn more favorable grading from me. I'd probably give him an "A" if he was actually in contention, but he played solid golf and I gave him a solid grade.

Yea but @David in FL is an irrational Tiger hater, everyone here knows that :-P

OK, fine. Mathematically, an A+ isn't a fair grade because if he had won, I couldn't give him a higher grade. But by that logic, your grade should be at least a B+, which would leave room for him being in contention and losing (A- or A) or outright winning (A+).

Aaaaaand, I've officially gone too far with this relatively innocuous thread topic :-D

PS- Still love ya, David! :beer:

Constantine

19 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Making the cut

certainly you needed to be in the top 18 in this field to make the cut......

A.  Can't wait to see if he can now build on it though

Bill - 

9 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Yea but @David in FL is an irrational Tiger hater, everyone here knows that :-P

OK, fine. Mathematically, an A+ isn't a fair grade because if he had won, I couldn't give him a higher grade. But by that logic, your grade should be at least a B+, which would leave room for him being in contention and losing (A- or A) or outright winning (A+).

Aaaaaand, I've officially gone too far with this relatively innocuous thread topic :-D

PS- Still love ya, David! :beer:

Hey, hey, hey!

I'm a rational Tiger hater! :-D 

Honestly impressed with his play this past week, though I'll cheerfully admit that I enjoyed watching Saturday more than the other 3 days. ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Considering he seemed to play 72 holes pain free and was competitive against the best players in the world, I give him an A. Whether you like Tiger or not it is hard not to see his importance to the game. I hope he is able to play more from this point.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

21 hours ago, Seals said:

I give him an A. The chipping got better as week went on. Just needs to clean up Par 5 scoring. But he has irons into them and is swinging with some aggression. Looking forward to 2018.

A+ because of my enthusiasm, but B because he's Tiger and can do so much better. He missed a lot of putts he could have made during his golden era.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

He was impressive, no doubt.     Now if only the Golf Channel would get off their knees in front of him it would be nice.    How long will it last though, that is the question.     Looking at his swing with the speed and the posting on his left leg it could be not long before he injures his leg and Back again.    I heard them say he was scheduled for another back procedure.     

Posting the left leg, AKA locking it after/thru impact whips the club and injuries are plenty from that.    Lower back, shoulder, and knees are way too common from what the "GURUS" are teaching today.

Note: This thread is 2296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!