IGNORED

Buying Premium Used Golf Balls - Survey

bmartin461
Note: This thread is 2299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One Hit Wonders @ Golf Course  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be likely to buy mint or near mint golf balls at the golf course, either 1/2 dozen or dozen?

• Yes - But the price would need to very attractive
    • Yes - But the ball would need to be one I use or would like to use
    • No - I would not buy used golf balls, at any price
    • No - I would not buy at the golf course
  2. 2. Assuming yes, what price would be more attractive for one of these 4 brand/models: Titleist ProV1 / Callaway ChromeSoft / Srixon Z-Star / TaylorMade TPx

• 1/2 dozen for $10
    • 14 for $20
    • Neither
  3. 3. Assuming yes, would you be a repeat buyer if there we made available on a schedule?

• Yes - I would buy 1-2 times a month if this was an option at my local course
    • Yes - But I would only buy when I needed to
    • No - This would not appeal to me enough to repeat buy

I'm thinking of a side hustle where I would provide mint/near mint golf balls at a few local courses on a schedule, say once a week on Fridays as an example.  This would be done in a legal/official manner and not out of my trunk on the side of the road.

The golf balls would all be premium models and available in quantities of 6 or 14 (dozen plus 2 bonus).   

Let me know what you think.

Thanks! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where did these balls come from?  Found/scavenged?  Refurbished bought elsewhere?  Other?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Where did these balls come from?  Found/scavenged?  Refurbished bought elsewhere?  Other?

They would come from a reputable supplier of used golf balls, most would come from water hazards, none would be refinished.

I would absolutely buy used premium balls if I needed some and they were at a good price like the ones you listed in the polls. I voted for the 14 for $20 option mainly for the extra 2 balls and so I dont have to buy as frequently.

I like this compared to the used golf ball websites because I dont have to wait and pay for shipping. In my experience it seems like once you add in the cost of the shipping for the used ball sites, it doesnt really end up all that much cheaper than just buying them new, plus you have to wait a around a week or so to get them delivered.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I do buy used golf balls and I'm a buyer at $10 per dozen, so you are a bit high there.

Perhaps the convenience of buying at the course would get you some business, but that's not my demographic.

• Like 1

I'm a "no".

The reason I play a premium ball in the first place is because of the specific playing characteristics of that ball.  With reclaimed balls, you never quite know what you're going to get, regardless of the cosmetic appearance.

When I can buy something like a new Snell or past generation Bridgestone for just a few dollars more, it's just not worth the couple of bucks to risk any inconsistencies.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

50 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I'm a "no".

The reason I play a premium ball in the first place is because of the specific playing characteristics of that ball.  With reclaimed balls, you never quite know what you're going to get, regardless of the cosmetic appearance.

When I can buy something like a new Snell or past generation Bridgestone for just a few dollars more, it's just not worth the couple of bucks to risk any inconsistencies.

Same, here. I used to buy used golf balls, not anymore.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'm in the 'never' camp.  I play one brand and one model until I don't anymore.  Also... I've played golf for almost 24 years now and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've ever purchased golf balls at a course.  Gloves?  Sure.  Tees?  Yep.  I've even purchased a few hats here and there.  Very rarely have I purchased golf balls.  Usually, it's an 'emergency' because I forgot to put some in my bag or something.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I would never buy, or use an unknown used golf ball to use for a score for handicap purposes. I would be concerned about consistancy through out the pack, since all the balls would have different histories since they were new. Any inconsistencies would surely show up in all facets of one's game, especially putting. To me it would be like playing  with range balls. 

I would think I would get a better consistancy with a dozen, cheap new, unused balls.

I was at Walmart the other day and purchased 24,  "Nitro" balls for $10. They are always available for $4.95 a dozen. In yellow. They are to be used for chipping/pitching practice only. That said, in a pinch, I would play one for a score. 

1 minute ago, Patch said:

I would never buy, or use an unknown used golf ball to use for a score for handicap purposes. I would be concerned about consistancy through out the pack, since all the balls would have different histories since they were new. Any inconsistencies would surely show up in all facets of one's game, especially putting. To me it would be like playing  with range balls. I know when I hit range balls, I am only concerned with the first 1/3 of the ball's flight.

I would think I would get a better consistancy with a dozen, cheap, new, unused balls.

I was at Walmart the other day and purchased 24,  "Nitro" balls for $10. They are always available for $4.95 a dozen. In yellow. They are to be used for chipping/pitching practice only. That said, in a pinch, I would play one for a score. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I utilize used balls for play in most occasions except for tournaments but you are too high for me. I buy 4A balls from a guy on eBay for $1 per ball shipping included. Never been disappointed with the quality. These balls look new, mostly 1 hit wonders and none are refurbished. 

19 hours ago, David in FL said:

I'm a "no".

I also voted no for a somewhat similar reason.

I could be more of a maybe, if the price was really cheap, like $10 per dozen, I might try them for "knock around" rounds.

I can buy ProV1 practice grade for $30, and I don't lose that many. Only downside to the practice is that there are often a lot of ProV1x in the box. Same reason I don't use NXT's-the ProV1 Practice is cheaper and only $8 more than DT SoLo. The Practice grade balls are new full spec balls with only a cosmetic defect.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I was a, no I would never buy used balls.

We have a Costco nearby and shop there for groceries etc. about once a week.  They sale Callaway Super Hot 55 for about $1.25 a bakk (Superhot is very similar to the Supersoft).  That is what I buy.  I'd rather play a new one of those than any used ball.

I'd likely buy, but not often. For me I really like the Snell ball and it's a really good price, so I usually have plenty on hand. I wouldn't be opposed to buying if for whatever reason I was running low on balls and there was an immediate need.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I am skeptical of lake balls and do not normally play expensive tour balls with my 17 HCP game.  That being said I would try 20 used Gamer Softs for $10 but since I pay low prices for new balls I doubt I am in your target market.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:34 AM, bmartin461 said:

I'm thinking of a side hustle where I would provide mint/near mint golf balls at a few local courses on a schedule, say once a week on Fridays as an example.  This would be done in a legal/official manner and not out of my trunk on the side of the road.

The golf balls would all be premium models and available in quantities of 6 or 14 (dozen plus 2 bonus).   

Let me know what you think.

Thanks! 

I buy stuff from those two guys that hang out in front of the Brookside parking lot every now and then.

$20 for 14 balls seems reasonable. Are you getting them from Rich at Crown City?

On 12/13/2017 at 2:34 PM, Golfingdad said:

If you were selling used ProV1 at my course, I would certainly buy 14 for $20 on occasion.  I don't play enough to buy them regularly, but a couple of times a year, sure.

Same here, and I already do sometimes.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:20 AM, No Mulligans said:

I was a, no I would never buy used balls.

We have a Costco nearby and shop there for groceries etc. about once a week.  They sale Callaway Super Hot 55 for about $1.25 a bakk (Superhot is very similar to the Supersoft).  That is what I buy.  I'd rather play a new one of those than any used ball.

Sure, I buy these at times as well. I get good balls for my kids and use the "one hit wonders" for myself. :-D

Edited by Lihu
Fixed the spellchecker mistake.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I guess it's okay. Aren't you going to have to store them ion your trunk at some point. Where do these balls come from anyway?  Out of creeks, " god only knows how long they have been down there", in bushes exposed to the elements for days and days. Good luck.

Note: This thread is 2299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!