IGNORED

What are Your 2018 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Added goal for 2018

Dont get as upset with my golf game and practice!

I will do this by being more mindful of my initial gut reaction to how I am doing. I would introduce a habit into my routine where I take a deep breathe after every shot to break that initial response. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take my games seriously.

Break 85 - 86 best score to date

Accurate gapping session on wedges

Track scores and stats after each qualifying 18 holes

Have fun!

Think each shot, Lie, Winds elevation etc. not just roll up and swing

Don't quit after a bad hole or force a good score to recuperate.

Hopefully drop the handicap below 18 by October close of season

Edited by gaz d

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

2018-the make it or break it year for my golf game. I'm bleeding swing speed, it's still significant enough that it's not a proboes but it ain't going up from here no matter how much I work at it, my LD days are done  

1. Gain some stinking consistency. Have the common sense to know when my game is off,  and try to keep it under 90. I've had at least a round every year that I've shot triple digits. I'm capable of Par golf on most area courses. I don't shoot par frequently but I shoot par more frequently than I shoot 100. But having my best round of the year being a 68-69 and my worst round being 105 or so, I need to find consistency desperately. That's a horrible spread and hopefully the 3-4 hours a week I spent this offseason practicing will pay off here. 

2. Piggybacking on that, learn how to lay back and play for par, bogey at worst. I attack everything, playing even the most difficult holes for birdie or better. Recognize the holes where par is a good score and bogey is acceptable. Then execute once I decide to do that. The execution has quite frankly stunk when I've tried to play for par and always makes me regret grabbing a 4i off the tee instead of driver. I need to focus just as much with that 4i as I do Driver. I lose focus when playing it "safe". 

3. Help my kids continue to improve and further their enjoyment of the game. I'll even include my dad on this one. I don't know a ton but 20 years ago I gave lessons so they all look to me for swing guidance. I feel bad that they do since I'm not fully qualified but I try to do my best. I don't remember much from 20 years ago and I shouldn't have been giving lessons then, but hey-I passed the PAT so I guess I was qualified?? 

4. I want to play my best in my "majors". The tournaments and events that I've committed to playing, I want to bring my A game. I want to break 80 at a minimum every one of these. I need to play and practice enough leading up to them for this to happen. 

5. Learn to putt for the love of... I had a round in the 80's last fall that I had more putts than I had shots off the green... that can never happen again.  I was playing 4 footers just to not 3 putt. To put is specifically, I need to learn to read greens.  I bought glasses this year and so far on the greens they seem to make a huge difference. There were times that I had no clue if the ball was going left or right, let alone how far left or right  

How am I to accomplish this? Play and practice with a purpose. Most of my range session involve just beating balls and helping my kids. From now on I'm going to devote 50% of our range time to working on my game. We will also practice putting at a minimum hour for hour what we spend on the range. Throw in pitching and chipping hour for hour and we're going to hit less balls. But more with a purpose. I also need to find a way to stay engaged on those rounds where nothing is going right. Too many times I check out mentally and end up with an embarrassingly laughable score.  

I also plan to install a sim in my garage this year. Target is early fall, just so long as it's up and going heading into our off season. I already can't park in my side due to all the golf equipment, I might as well go all in. I pitched the idea of putting one into our vaulted ceiling family room, but when I was assured that I'd be the only one left living here if I did I rethought that strategy.  

Good luck in 2018, golfing friends! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

2018 Golf Goal is to spend more time at the driving range. Not always hitting the driver but to utilize all the clubs in the bag. 

What's in the bag?
2 Iron, 3 Iron, 4 Iron, 5 Iron, 6 Iron, 7 Iron, 8 Iron, 9 Iron, PW, GW, 3 Wood, 5 Wood, Putter
Titleist Irons, Callaway Woods and a Jack Nicklaus putter. Cigars and a case of Stella.

My 2018 goals:

A. Playing wise- shoot consistently in the 70s.

B. Squat 405+, deadlift 405+, bench 250+, overhead press 175+

C. Get down to 205 lbs.

How?

A. Practice with the gc2 and v1 app to narrow my shot cones to about a 20 yard area.  Push-draws and pushes are ok and will fit in my desired shot cone.  Over draws due to a steep downswing are not ok.  Get driver ball speeds consistently mid-high 150s with strike and speed- use the super speed training and powerlifting to get stronger.

B.  I've been doing Wendler 531 variation since Thanksgiving and I'm not too far off already.

C. I really need to dial in my nutrition with myfitnesspal and eat better.  I know how to do it, but I'm so lazy and have enjoyed eating a lot and lifting.  But I'm too heavy.

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2017 at 11:22 AM, klineka said:

Goals:

1. Break into and maintain single digit handicap
    1. Increase swing speed (using SuperSpeed system)
    2. Increase AoA and launch angle with driver
    3. Be more aware of and apply LSW principles into each round
    4. Increase scrambling % by 10-15%
    5. Putts per round average under 30
  2. Compete in my first/multiple tournaments
    1. Will join and play a couple events on the GolfWeek AM tour local to me

I've accomplished part of #1 already. Broke into single digits with a couple solid rounds so far this year. Now it's a matter of staying there.

I am also going to edit my 2nd goal, based on current finances I cant justify paying $100+ per round. Playing on an AM tour will be a future goal in a few years once some other debts are paid off.

My new #2 goal is to really nail down my priority pieces, specifically Key #1, steady head, and Key #3, in-line impact/stop flipping.

I have The Hanger and will continue to use it in my practice sessions.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

34 minutes ago, klineka said:

I've accomplished part of #1 already. Broke into single digits with a couple solid rounds so far this year. Now it's a matter of staying there.

I am also going to edit my 2nd goal, based on current finances I cant justify paying $100+ per round. Playing on an AM tour will be a future goal in a few years once some other debts are paid off.

My new #2 goal is to really nail down my priority pieces, specifically Key #1, steady head, and Key #3, in-line impact/stop flipping.

I have The Hanger and will continue to use it in my practice sessions.

Nice man!  Keep it up.  For #2, you can always put some money on some matches with buddies or guys you play with on the course to help simulate it.  Even if it's a dollar, lunch, or even a headcover (me and my friends would pass around a Darth Vader headcover to the winner) to put some pressure and meaning to an other wise regular round.

As a new golfer my goal is to learn how to swing my clubs properly. Just got a set of clubs and played recently and I think I’m better off at the driving range for a week to get my swing corrected before I embarrass myself on the course again ;). Then maybe it will be worth while to record my score.

• Upvote 1

10 rounds of 80 or better(I think it’s achievable. Hard work.)

3 rounds within 3 strokes of par(this will be a huge challenge)

3 birdies in at least 50% of rounds(i usually average 2 birdies a round, typically one on each 9)

1 eagle(never had one, would love one)

50% driving accuracy(first round of the year i had 40, second i had 61. so far so good)

70% GIR(this will be tough)

80% nGIR(this will be tough as well)

1 round of even par or better(it’s nice to dream)

1 round with 25 putts or less(i think i could do this)

If I keep working hard, there’s no reason I shouldn’t be able to achieve most of these. I added a few in here that are really wishful thinking, but I like to challenge myself. I also don’t know why my font is so big, something to do with copying and pasting from the notes app on my phone...

Edited by freshmanUTA
font is huge... can’t seem to change it
  • Upvote 1

Get some length back after getting over tennis elbow that ruined my 2017 season. I think I can already check that off. The elbow feels great and my length is at least what it was 2-3 years ago.

Qualify for the B flight championship at my club. I was a B player for 30 years. Never won it but played in two finals. Won the C flight last year but that wasn't a goal, just something that happened because my handicap qualified for it and, with my sore elbow, I didn't think I could compete in B.  I will not try to qualify for the C flight again, no matter what my handicap is at the time. I am a B player (9-12 course handicap), no matter what GHIN says.😉

Break 80 again for the first time in 3 years.

Qualify for the Senior match play at my club. 

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Aim is Cat 1 - 5.0 or lower

Some goals along the way are to hit 9 under par (missed at the last hole on Monday), 18 at par, 18 under par and still chasing that elusive first eagle but expect a lot of opportunities this season.

I don't spend much time on short game at all but definitely need to tidy up the chipping game. 

Edited by Lazarus

• 2 weeks later...

I've never in my life seriously played before and I'm 46 years old. Here are my goals for this year..

1) Get fitted for new clubs (I'm rocking ancient hand me down clubs)

2) Take lessons

3) Play and practice as much as possible

4) Enjoy the game with my almost 10 year old son

I'm getting fitted and taking my first lesson on Thursday so the first 2 boxes will be ticked soon or at least on my way to ticking #2..lol. My son plays a lot of ice hockey year round but he enjoys driving around on the cart and of course he loves swinging for the fences..lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

Seeing as how I started last month, my 2018 goals are to get through Q-School, win my first PGA Tour Event, and last, but the not least, qualify for the 2019 Masters.

Now when I'm awake lol ... I would just like to consistently hit the ball straight. And if I'm able to do that well these next few months, I'd love to enter a tournament, just to get the experience under my belt. Competing in Tournaments (particularly National ones), with success, is my overall goal. 

Edited by NoName
  • Upvote 1

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

• 2 weeks later...

1.) Remind myself not to take this game too seriously.

2.) Have fun

3.) Not break any roof tiles or car windows

4.) Not break myself

5.) When I start getting frustrated, refer to goal #1

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!