IGNORED

What are Your 2018 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 1/2/2018 at 7:41 PM, upndown21 said:

My goal is to improve my 10.3 index to a 8.2. This will be accomplished by continuing my lessons and playing more frequently. I also want to win my home clubs m/m, m/g, or club championship (flighted).

Next revision 8.4. Won flight in m/m but lost first hole of shootout. Have m/g next week and my parter and I are both playing well. We won his clubs fall m/g last year and won our flight in my m/g last year. Fingers crossed and we pull out a W and I get below 8.2 on the 7/1 revision.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started 2018 with an index of 18.3 shooting mostly rounds in the 90s/100s. Given that I am 73, my physical skills are rapidly diminishing, so I have decided to make a strong push to play the best golf that I am capable of before surrendering to the inevitability of the abbreviated “geezer” swing and the forward tees.  

I did a statistical analysis of several rounds and identified the 3 shots that are costing the most strokes: (1) tee shots into hazards, OB, etc, (2) mid-irons on par 3s into hazards, and (3) inept chipping.

After two months of focused practice and improved course management, my rounds are in the 80s/90s, with an outlier in the 70s that hints at what might be possible. Index now stands at 17.1. For guidance I am using the book “Essentials of the golf Swing” by Haney; my grandson videos my golf swing once per week with an app designed for golf. Fortunately I have some good fundamentals because of instruction when I learned golf as a caddy in the 1950s.

So, based on this, two goals for 2018:

1. Handicap index of 12

2. Shoot my age at 74

It could happen 😎

Since this is my first year of trying to play instead of just wandering around hitting the ball:

Develop a consistent swing

Get into the 90s and stay there (currently about 103 average)

Reduce 3 putts by improving lag putting and getting to where 3' is almost automatic

Learn and practice chipping

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Have a couple rounds in the 70s.  I've broken 80 before but it seemed like a fluke day where everything was going right.  I do want to take some full swing lessons but the best instructor for me that I've found is a couple hours away.  

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

goals for 2018. 

continue to improve on my bad shots, I have been scoring in the 80s for awhile but it is devastating to score a +5 followed by a +3 and end up with a 85. 

solution: had my first lesson and basically found out everything I thought was right about my swing wasn't. now my swing is a lot more compact and consistent but it has been a major adjustment and most times doesn't feel right so it is a process, after starting out with  a few rounds in the 90s, my last few rounds have been around my handicap and im excited to see how low I can score.

overall goal: get the handicap to single digits

Goal: 

1. Break 80 again. Did it last year, now it's time to repeat and beat the 79 I shot last year.
  2. Improve my iron play. This has been much better the last two rounds in June, so I'm happy to be on the right path with this one.
  3. Make more birdie putts. I was 0-5 last round, and cost me a sub-80 round. 

That's it! Good luck and hit 'em straight!

Simple goals: Get back to golfing after cost to two decades away. Relearn the basics allowing for age and physical handicaps.  Updating my equipment from ground zero.  Have a lot of fun in the process of getting better.  As of 6/22/18, none have been watered save the last one and the others have made great strides forward.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Newbie Here, so 2018 is my first year of having golf goals. With my schedule, my goals will consist of:

1) Driving range once per week

2) Get a full round in at least 2x a month

3) Work on pitching, chipping, & putting 2x per week

4) Figure out my handicap and working to lower it as I learn the strengths and weaknesses of my game

5) Slowly work on upgrading my equipment, even if it means one piece at a time

6) Gain a network of golfing buddies to hit the links and grab a cold one with

To try to make it to the range as many Saturdays as possible and keep developing the consistency of swing. Being able to hit the ball squarely is so important and with practice I am gaining that consistency. My goal by the end of 2018 is to have set the a solid foundation that I can build upon in years to come.

🍩🧇

Speed increase was my goal.  I bought the Super speed training clubs in the offseason.  Saw gains of over 10 mph...very excited.

I'm now 3 months into the season and have hit it horribly.  Driver mostly...but that swing over the winter gave me a flying right elbow to battle.  My master plan was to NOT hit any balls inside over the winter...just work on Super speed.  In hindsight that might have been a bad idea.  I have stopped Super speed for now, I'll start it back up over the winter again but this time I will hit balls as well.

Had a look at my video swing from 5 years ago and notice I tend “not to swing my arms” 

Falling back to that pattern when I grip too tightly with my thumb and forefinger and lose strength my upper back and neck and losing posture 

Guess I have to stretch and contract those muscles between my shoulder blade   Will have to do that as daily exercise

On 1/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, Lihu said:

Continue to work on my swing with the 5 minute drills even when I am not playing golf during the late Spring and Summer months.

Work on short game and putting, continue with my 4 clinics/lessons per month.

Hope to make a lot better ball contact. Want to be able to hit my 5i and 4i without feeling any apprehension.

Getting better ball contact, and can hit my 5 and 4 irons just like any other club...🤪 😂

Short game is iffy when I don’t play enough.

Long game is still kind of blah, but really happy that my driver is straighter the few times I’m not using my 3W and I only miss near greens (20 yards of the green) about two or three times a round. 7 greens per round is pretty good with at least 5 typical. I can reach 200 yards pretty reliably with an iron, usually a 3i or 4i on flat ground no wind.

Still have 5 more months in 2018, so, there’s still time for improving my short game and putting...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

With about 3-1/2 months left in my 2017/2018 golf year, I am pretty much back on track on the goals I set at the start of this thread. 

(November 1st starts my new golf year)

Had a couple of physical set backs take place this year. Lost a few weeks, but those seem to be well behind me now. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 6/19/2018 at 1:56 PM, millsan1 said:

Since this is my first year of trying to play instead of just wandering around hitting the ball:

Develop a consistent swing

Get into the 90s and stay there (currently about 103 average)

Reduce 3 putts by improving lag putting and getting to where 3' is almost automatic

Learn and practice chipping

Making good progress.  Broke into the 90s this past weekend, followed by an 86!  Funny thing is, it didn't feel all that different from my other rounds.  Just less errors and a few hero shots that went my way.  My Handicap went down 3 more points 6/30.  Putter is working better.  A lot less 3 putts.  Also got my first birdie!

• Like 1

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

• 3 weeks later...

Get off the tee consistently... if I do that, I usually ok.  My ball striking is all over the place at times but my wedge play is strong and carries my ass out there. 

I just need to find the fairway.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

On 12/25/2017 at 5:39 PM, nevets88 said:
  1. Continue refining shallow, motorcycle, turn/pivot - working better in conjunction with arms/shoulders, wrist conditions/rates. Less thinking through swing, more athletic/dynamic.
  2. Play more - I say this every year, I'd play more if I played better.
  3. Work more on wedges and putter, use Mevo to dial in distances, keep using Visio to tighten putter head path, lesson w/Preston if he's in town.
  4. Continue w/full swing lessons, reading/watching whatever instruction comes available (mean to take a look at David Orr's videos).
  5. Get fitted w/a new putter.

Doing ok on 1, 2 and 4. I think I don't have to focus as much on shallowing anymore, feels like I did shallowing 101, 201 and halfway through 301 but am still in pivot 201, midterms.  Should have added at the top figure the damn driver out, which is still a work in progress, but getting there. Working on short game is still on ice, may or may not get to it. Like that commercial said, Chicks dig the long ball. Probably should add get fitted for irons and woods, have never paid much attention to equipment, but seeing the benefits now.

1. Pivot/turn through ball.
  2. Driver - find more fairways with distance. Allocate more time to driver on range.
  3. Iron and woods testing, fitting. Find clubs that fit swing.
  4. Distance and finesse wedges. Distance wedge flight too high?
  5. Hoping Preston comes to town soon, get a putting lesson, putting refresher.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!