IGNORED

What are Your 2018 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Honestly the only goal I have this year is to shoot rounds with no 6s since the challenge was issued.

I might add additional goals once season is back.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Play more rounds with strangers and/or make new golf friends.  It’s not in my nature but it’s the only way I’m going to play more than 3-4 rounds per month.  And I wanna!

• Like 1

2018 Goals:

1.  Keep working on my flexibility - turning 65 was a real challenge.

2.  Walk more rounds - even if I only have time for 9 holes.

3.  Keep working on "Lowest Score Wins" - make those bad shots just a "little less bad."

4.  Finally break 80 playing with my hickory shafted clubs ( close several times in 2017).

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

2018 Golf Related Goals.

1. I need to update this in my profile, but I currently hold a 6.7 index. I'd like to be south of 5 by year's end. 

2. Hit 50%+ GIR for the year. (I'm currently in the high 30's) I'm taking lessons over the winter to improve my path and my iron play so I can achieve this goal.

3. Shoot par or better for 18 holes once. (My lowest last year was a 4-over 76). I believe goal two will help me with this, if I can get one of those rounds going where I hit 12 or 13 greens, I think I can shoot at or under par for sure.

4. Another full year goal. Complete the entire 2018 "5 Minutes Daily challenge". I'm currently on carryover from April 2017 at 9 months plus 24 days. On March 31, I'd be at a full year. Though that's all well and good. I'm going for the calendar year challenge.

5. Do some sort of outing with either the guys from Upstate New York or another group within a couple three hours of here.

6. Play more golf with Alina. Though I have two daughters now. (Alina is my four-year-old, Zoey is my almost three month old). Alina seems to want more attention, and she loves playing golf with me, so when the weather gets better... Her and I will golf more (perhaps a couple times a month)

7. This is more for my wife than anything. I'd like to find Becky a good instructor, so my wife can enjoy the game with me, and we can kick butt playing Jack-and-Jill.

8. Win a tournament. I have all the tools, I just need to use them. I don't care if it's the 2nd flight of the City. Or the 1st flight of the Club, I want to win a damn tournament.

9. Get the "Stupid Monkey" award. I'm going to have to start filming more of what I'm working on with my instructor and stick with it. But that way Erik and Mike have proof that I'm doing something with the "5 S's" of practice.

That's a lot of goals for this year. A lot of which are year-long ones.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

My Golf goals this season are:
Golf as much as possible.
Have fun when out golfing every time!
Hit the practice area a couple times a week.
Get my wedge game back to where it use to be.
Get my driver a lil longer and straighter.
Play the same set of irons all season long.
Keep playing smart golf, no hero or stupid shots.
Beat my buddy Jim multiple times this season.
No 3 putts or snowmen allowed on the card!
Play with my son 1 or 2 times a week and help him groom his game.
Shoot an 80 or lower at least once.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

2018 Goals

• Sub 4 handicap (Currently 7.6).  I posted 14 scores last year, so didn't get to play a lot.
    • Commit to evolvr for the year and practice the right way
    • Swing Speed training 3x per week
    • Practice my evolvr priority 3x per week
    • Short game practice 2x per week
    • Play 20 or more rounds for handicap (and get to the course more often to squeeze in a few holes)
    • Play 2-3 tournaments where I play my own ball
    • Track my stats

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

My goal this year is to get to a 5 or lower handicap (ended the year at an 8.5 so my number on my profile isn't quite right).  I plan on doing this by increasing my consistency off the tee, as that is currently my biggest weakness.

I have days where I hit pretty much every fairway, but when I'm off I am everywhere and you can only expect to salvage those wayward drives so many times.  Probably going to shell out some money to actually take lessons from our pro, I'm pretty sure I've gone as far as I can on my own.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

My goal for 2018 is to be a better ball striker.  I'm a 10.9 index and hoping to be mid-single digits by the end of the year.  I have a hook which I hope to get rid of.  I tend to pull my wedges which I hope to straighten out. My driver is wild and my putting is terrible.  I just switched putters today and am hoping to make more one-putt birdies.  My short game is not that bad and right now and I'm making several changes in my bag.  Yesterday I played eighteen holes and shot a 78 and it brought my trend down.  I plan on playing at least once a week, and continue practicing every day.  Maybe if I'm confident about my game I'll play in amateur tournaments again. 

Find the right chiropractor. At 63 I play 18 and have to take Advil for the next two days, Pinched nerve in the neck. Used to play pretty much every day, might have played 5 times last year. Three times I played pretty good the last two stunk.. Pain doesn't bother you as bad when you played good.

Live from the doghouse.

I have an A grade swing, but a C grade mentality when it comes to playing. I started to work on the mental side with an eBook from David MacKenzie which has helped immensely. So for 2018 I’ll continue to develop my mental game. I started this January 2017 and the improvements have been very promising so far. Some of the things I do are: daily mental game workouts; watching my swing on video; rehearsing my rounds in my head and continue to grow my highlights reel and keep going over them. Mainly keep reinforcing that I am a good golfer and the aforementioned helps in that way.

Become a better bunker player. I would be possibly the worst bunker player in the club (which is not good when there are a gazillion bunkers where I play). How I’m going to achieve this: need to work on my technique and to trust that I can do it and not to have a fear factor when I get in them. Again the mental side comes into.

Become a better putter. I’ve been working on some drills to help with my distance control and ball speed on the greens. So far, it’s going well, and giving me a lot of confidence when I’m on the greens.

Continued improvement

More playing time

and we'll see what happens.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 12/15/2017 at 8:10 PM, iacas said:

Like our 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2011 , 2012 , 2013 2014, 20152016, and 2017 threads, here's the official thread for 2017.

The rules are the same as they've been:

1. Post your goals personal golf-related goals for 2018. Be specific and thorough.
  2. Elaborate on how you'll go about achieving these goals. Details, people! :-)
  3. Post just once, though if you reach all of your goals, you should quote your post and revise them later in the year. And set harder goals next year.
  4. Keep the replies to a minimum. This thread is mostly for the posting of goals. If you want to encourage more discussion of your goals, post a copy of them in your Member Swing thread.

If you're looking to recap your 2017 goals, that's over here in this topic.

Let's hear 'em!

Specific AND thorough, eh?  OK, I’ll give it a shot…

OK, I’ll give it a shot…

1: buy equipment

I don’t have my clubs anymore so I have to get new ones. I haven’t had clubs since the mid-80s and no 61, so knows how well I’ll do. 

2: practice

The first time I got interested in golf, I spent the first complete summer at the driving range on a regular basis, getting used to the way my clubs felt and what they did, and how poorly I did, and what adjustments I needed to make to play a reasonable round of golf.

3: play

Simply to get out there and actually do it, instead of talking about it!

4: care

Be careful not to screw up my back anymore than it already is! Stretching exercises, and avoiding overextension and wrong moves.

5: socialization

As much as golf can be a solitary support, when you’re walking the fairway, it is certainly a socializing support, and I look forward to that aspect of it. 

6: stress relief

I know that sounds like an oxymoron to some of you, but I find that playing a round of golf is therapeutic, because of the outdoors, the beauty of it. I don’t let the game stress me out. 

On 1/22/2018 at 4:37 PM, GolfLug said:

Honestly the only goal I have this year is to shoot rounds with no 6s since the challenge was issued.

Jinx - I was about to say the same thing but I saw your post at the top of the page while it was loading. 

I think it'll be tough for me, a good challenge. I think it'll force me to consider course management/shot planning more that I normally would. 

A second goal would be to consistently hit 50% of GIR...looking back at my numbers, I think I hang out in the 35-40% range. Working on my irons (6-9i) I think will be key since I typically have around 130-160yds in for my approaches for most holes. 

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Shoot par on the front 9 of my home course in worst ball format (two balls for every shot, play the next shot with the worst one, including putts). I play the format fast enough with a cart on weekdays and the front 9 is the toughest 9 on the course. I believe that after par in regular playing, par in worst ball format is the next level, possibly Tour level!

Frankie

#1 - learn to control my emotions - i.e. stop getting mad when I make a bad shot or have a bad hole.  I'm not good enough to get mad about this.

#2 - Get my handicap down to around 15-17.  I dropped it from 36.4 to 29.1 between June and November last year.  Kept playing all winter up here where we can't record scores Dec-Feb, but if I had I would be at a 22.3 right now (killing it in handicapped tournaments!).

#3 - Break 90 fairly consistently by the end of the season. (I have only done this once this year).

This year's goal is to get down below 3.

TO do this I need to do a few things.

1. Practice every day. I'll go with the 5 min challenge

2. Have a better practice plan. This will start with a new instructor

3. Break my practice down into block and random practice.

4. Lead all of this to hitting more greens. Currently at 40-50% but I need to hit 60% or so.

5. Better proximity to the hole. This should lead to making more putts

Note: This thread is 2002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!