IGNORED

What are Your 2018 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It had been 35 years since I had a club in my hands.

At the beginning of the year my goal was to shoot in the 90's and currently I'm in the low 80's and I just went sub 18 usga. 

How I got there. Since March I've played 80 9 hole rounds. March and April I did 52 rounds in 60 days. That's probably the number one reason for my rapid improvement. I'm no good with a driver but my short game and putting are pure fun.

My remaining goal is NO more dedicated improvement - just enjoyment. Yes, I'll still try to improve my drive but no more obsession.

• Like 1

Well, I have 5 months left in 2018 and with a handicap of 30 I would like to bring that down 10 points. When I started playing golf way back 3 months ago I was shooting in the 120s. Then the other day I broke 100 and shot a 99. I would like to break 90 by the end of this year and in the low 80s by April of 2019 when I plan on joining an amateur tour. 

• Upvote 1

I was about 15 when I stopped playing golf altogether, but at the time, I was shooting consistently in the low 80's and upper 70's.I won tournaments, drive chip and putt, local club net championships, and it was so much fun. Life just got in the way i guess. 

Just turned 28 and this is my second 'real' season back. Have yet to break 80 again, but have shot 39, 38's on 9. Back to the form I was at half my life ago, and now I can pick up where I left up and truly believe I am capable of breaking 70 by the end of this season. If it does not happen, so be it, because it will next season. Breaking 70 will ultimately become my expectation as well, and I will never even consider quitting this great game again until ive dwelled in that reality for numerous seasons..

On 8/7/2018 at 3:21 PM, JayColucci said:

Well, I have 5 months left in 2018 and with a handicap of 30 I would like to bring that down 10 points. When I started playing golf way back 3 months ago I was shooting in the 120s. Then the other day I broke 100 and shot a 99. I would like to break 90 by the end of this year and in the low 80s by April of 2019 when I plan on joining an amateur tour. 

Consistency can be so difficult, because golf is so inconsistent at times. So practice stuff that keeps it fun and challenging. For instance, my driver broke last week falling on the concrete from a cart. Im not replacing it until next season, so I can master my 3-wood, 5-wood, and 3 iron tee shots. Distance has rarely been an issue for me, so I don't feel as if I am punishing myself - just found the perfect reason to start mastering different aspects of the game (driving is my strongest easily).

I agree Consistency Consistency Consistency !!!!

Badly want to break 80 for 2018 of the white tees of my local GC >> 83 the other week that included 2 stupid drop shots

have had 36 over 9 last year and many 39/40's etc ... I just can't seem to put it together over 18

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

My goal as a golfer of 6 months is to consistently break 90 as I did for the first time today.

What I love about golf as a newbie is the individual aspect. I've played other sports my entire life, but what you get out of golf is a joy I haven't experienced elsewhere.

Golf is just a nice walk in nature. Enjoy it.

I’m new to the group in last couple weeks. I’ve been fairly successful this season. Shot my 1st round of even. Shot my 1st side under par. Those were 2 goals I had come close to but had never accomplished as far as scoring. 

My current goal is qualify for the championship flight come end of September. The club championship is 2 days, 18 a day aggregate score. Top 8-10 quality for the championship after day 1. I want to go into Sunday with a chance to play for the title. If I don’t qualify then I obviously want to win my flight. 

To achieve said goal I am playing, and have been playing almost exclusively playing at home over the last couple weeks. The green speed there is the quickest of our local courses that I typically play so I am going to get as many rounds in as I can to develop that comfort with the speeds. Same holds true for the whole course. This is my 1st season I’ve played the course and I’m learning the greens every day. Learning how and where to miss. Learning where to aim drives to leave myself the best approach angles. Learning to manage the course as far as my layups when necessary. Learning what irons to hit off the par 3’s based on tee and pin locations.

overall trying to lower my putts per hole. Hit more GIR. Improve my driving accuracy.

Edited by Dunit507

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

One medal left in 2018 so just about ready to put a fork in the season here before the Scottish autumn becomes winter (takes about 3 hours!) 🤣

Started the year on 15.4 and so far down to 9.8 with three medals in the 70s, all of which I won the weekly medal with.

Target at the start of the year was 12 handicap so delighted to get to single figures* (*if still playing to a double digit). Who knows maybe I knock another 70s round in this weekend and get officially to single numbers. 

Going to get lessons over the winter at the range and look to see if I can push on to 6 or lower next year. Also would like to put a sub par round in and get my first hole in one next year.......not wanting much. 😆

Shoot sub 80 from our advanced tees. My home course has lady, senior, rec, advanced and championship tees. As soon as I do I'm going to the championship tees and starting over. 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, cmoneygo said:

goals for 2018. 

continue to improve on my bad shots, I have been scoring in the 80s for awhile but it is devastating to score a +5 followed by a +3 and end up with a 85. 

solution: had my first lesson and basically found out everything I thought was right about my swing wasn't. now my swing is a lot more compact and consistent but it has been a major adjustment and most times doesn't feel right so it is a process, after starting out with  a few rounds in the 90s, my last few rounds have been around my handicap and im excited to see how low I can score.

overall goal: get the handicap to single digits

3 month update: in the last month I have carded my 3 lowest rounds (79,79,77) and I have to credit the club fitting and lesson, although I have lost distance I haven't hit a ball out of bounce in a while, which used to be my downfall on 1-3 drives a round. working on my pre shot routine is where I am now, when I set myself up correctly I have a way higher chance of success but I catch myself rushing shots sometimes and missing my targets. also getting a distance from every shot off the green is becoming critical for consistency. average is hovering a stroke above my goal , so I'm right where I want to be

My new goals are to get a better hang on filming my swing and getting more quality instruction. Some issues are of my own laziness I admit. But I’ve taken my phone out only to find I can’t even see the screen. Bright sun, I cover it yet it’s just too dark so I get annoyed and just practice without video. I’m poor at technology regarding editing and setting the camera/phone up properly. Yes I’ve read the thread on doing this. I fumble like an idiot with my Casio F-100 so I started using my phone only to have the above mentioned problem. Once I become more proficient with this I’d like to give Evolvr a try. Terrible procrastination being that I practice 3-4 times/week. Oy!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My 2018 goals...

Buy clubs and hit the range. Haven't played or swung a club in 17 years.

Forget I was a 10 HC back then, I will not be now.

Have fun and just play.

Try to meet people at courses. I moved to a smaller southern community from upper mid-west and was told people here will be hospitality friendly, but, very hard to make friends with.

Find the daily motivation to do all above.  Miss my old playing group from up north, didn't play but stayed in contact.

My main goal was to get back to playing off 9 (or better).  I became a father two years back and my golf time has taken a dent.  My other was to have a few good Medal rounds as they still seem to bring the worst out in me.

I got back to 9 (9.4) a couple of months back and recently got cut to 8.8 so job. no. 1 done.  The cuts came through Stableford and a Supplementary card though so still working on the second one!

Hi,

I still want to achieve quite a bit in the last 3 months of the year.
I'll be training twice a week, so I think that the following is realistic:

- get my chipping backswing on plain (steeper)
- making a smoother chipping follow through
- Full Swing - getting the take away right (hands close to body and clubhead ahead of my feet
- Slightly flatter at the stop (not across the line)
- Stop shifting on the downswing
- Getting my hips far more open on the downswing

On 5/22/2018 at 12:01 PM, vonbonds said:

I've never in my life seriously played before and I'm 46 years old. Here are my goals for this year..

1) Get fitted for new clubs (I'm rocking ancient hand me down clubs)

2) Take lessons

3) Play and practice as much as possible

4) Enjoy the game with my almost 10 year old son

I'm getting fitted and taking my first lesson on Thursday so the first 2 boxes will be ticked soon or at least on my way to ticking #2..lol. My son plays a lot of ice hockey year round but he enjoys driving around on the cart and of course he loves swinging for the fences..lol.

So let’s review my goals...

1) I was fitted for a complete Cleveland set from driver down to putter..check

2) I’ve only had one lesson but am taking more later in October..I guess check..lol

3) I’m joining a private country club so that shows how much I’ve played and enjoyed myself this year. I’ve yet to break 100 but I still enjoy myself every time out there. 

4) my boy is 10 and he’s probably been my most frequent playing partner. He’s all in on ice hockey but we still play more than most kids so that makes me happy that he’s building a love for a game that can be played for life. 

All in all an outstanding 2018!

• Like 1

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

On 7/31/2018 at 9:50 AM, nevets88 said:

Doing ok on 1, 2 and 4. I think I don't have to focus as much on shallowing anymore, feels like I did shallowing 101, 201 and halfway through 301 but am still in pivot 201, midterms.  Should have added at the top figure the damn driver out, which is still a work in progress, but getting there. Working on short game is still on ice, may or may not get to it. Like that commercial said, Chicks dig the long ball. Probably should add get fitted for irons and woods, have never paid much attention to equipment, but seeing the benefits now.

1. Pivot/turn through ball.
  2. Driver - find more fairways with distance. Allocate more time to driver on range.
  3. Iron and woods testing, fitting. Find clubs that fit swing.
  4. Distance and finesse wedges. Distance wedge flight too high?
  5. Hoping Preston comes to town soon, get a putting lesson, putting refresher.

Turning through ball better but still not as in control of key #4 and #5 as I'd like. Face is open.  Plane can be too under or out. Swings are not good when dealing with weird lies or poor weather conditions but learning better to deal with rough. Key #1 a little better, better at not translating head away from target A3-4 which helps with key #4.

Driver is much improved but still don't trust it, afraid to swing hard with it still, some chicken wing. Got new irons, to be honest happy with woods so fitting next year. Will have to do wedge work next year too, but small improvements just from playing. No putting lesson this year but distance control and green reading improved because played more. Will still get a low side Aimpoint misread once in a while but better at reading even aiming at finer increments like 1.5 fingers. 

Still can't put everything together but have played well in spurts of 4-5 holes and occasionally hit it to places I've never reached when much younger and more spry (but clueless about swing). 

Goals for 2019 pretty much the same, gist is make a more athletic swing. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

As you’ll remember we post a recap topic and the 2019 goals topic in December.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!