IGNORED

For the first time, I'm 100% content with my clubs ... if you are too, whats your setup ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

@iacas, could you please figure out why Alt + 248 doesn't work for the degree symbol on a computer? Unless their is a shortcut for .html that I don't know about. Shane

I have always used alt-0176 for °. It's also on my keyboard in the extended symbols on my phone.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My wife is trying to get me to get new clubs.   Her reasoning is  "you're not getting any younger..."   I'd like new clubs but not sure I'm unhappy with my current setup.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Over the last 12-18 months I've re done my entire bag. I went from forged players irons to a more forgiving cast cavity back set, and replaced my 4 iron with a hybrid. I also went from steel to graphite shafts. I got rid of blade style wedges and went to Cleveland's CBX model. This has been the best equipment related decision that I can remember making, they are perfect for me. Top of bag was revised also. Finally found a 3 wood I liked (and could hit LOL) I like it so much I replaced my 3 hybrid with the matching 5 wood. The last piece of the puzzle was trading my Epic driver for a PING 400 Max. The Epic was a little longer at times probably, but I'll take the forgiveness and confidence at setup I get from the PING all day long. Final piece is the putter. I got a Cameron for Christmas over a year ago, and from the first day I used it, I.ve been waiting for the "new club magic" to wear off, but it hasn't. The clubs are listed by name in my signature. They should all remain for quite a while, I'm very happy with all of them right now. 

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling really good about my setup right now. Nothing is the "latest". Driver is a 9.5* Taylormade R15 with the weights split completely and the loft cranked down to 9* which opens the face a little. My 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid, and 5 hybrid are all Adams tight lies 2. My 6 iron thru gap wedge are Ping G30's. My 54* and 58* are Ping glide. My putter is a Ping Anser milled. My driver, 3wd, hybrids, and 6i-gw all have Pure Pro standard grips, my glide wedges have the Ping dyla wedge grips, and my putter has a Ping blackout grip. The only club that is a question right now is the putter. I have an odyssey works versa #1 wide and an Odyssey Protype Tour #6 that are still in the rotation if the starter gets in foul trouble.

Happy with my setup, sort of at least i think i am but not sure :-P

Seriously. Got my bag sorted, changed my GEL putter for a Cleveland Smartsquare that is spot on and yesterday was in the spare room putting with my 4yr old and he goes through my club collection, grabs my Yes! Stephanie belly putter and says "Daddy, can you put with this?"

Not one to shy away from a challenge i proceeded to hit 3 in a row from 15ft into my Puttout. Damn it! Now i know anchoring is banned but i dont play comps or keep an official handicap so im tempted.......no us that will power Russ, stick with the Cleveland.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5°

3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° 

Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW)

Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58°

Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight

I upgraded my driver because i had a TaylorMade R11S. only upgraded because my driver is just to old now.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Im happy with my set up, too. Ive been using my current set up (with exception of my hybrid and wedges) for years

Heres what i play: 

Titleist 913 D3 Driver

Titleist 913 3 wood 

Titleist 816H1 17 degree hybrid

Titleist 913 21 degree hybrid

Titleist 714 AP1 4iron

Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW

Vokey SM6 wedges 52&58 

Odyessy protype tour #6 putter

I use Tour DDI x flex shafts in my driver & 3wood. Forget the shafts in my hybrids (whatever the stock options are) I use 10 year old DG S400 shafts in my irons. 

made another change because, of course I did.   

I hated my hybrid, particularly the shaft.   After I got my new driver, I brought my last 2 drivers, hybrid, old putter, and a wedge to 2nd swing for store credit.   got $180 for the whole bit.   
picked up a new hybrid.   was hitting it quite well while testing.  

:tmade:  - M3 Driver 10.5 degree- Fukijara Pro 53 stiff flex shaft
:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 17 degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:cleveland: - rtx 588 50 degree, 54 degree (bent to 53 degrees)
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I have been playing this set and made the change to the SL irons about 8 months ago.  Very comfortable with them and like the whole setup in my bag.  Prior clubs were 8 year old set of irons, mixed wedges, KZG driver and FW and an old putter.  I am 69 year old and feel like this will likely be my last set of clubs,.. 

TaylorMade M2 Driver                                                                                                                                                                    

Cobra FlyZ 3-4 FW Wood                                                                                                                                                                        

Thomas Golf 3 & 4 Hybrids                                                                                                                                                              

Cobra King F8 Single Length Irons  5 thru SW   (All 1" over standard and 2* up)                                                                                                                            

Odyssey Red O-Works Putter   (I really like this putter)                                                                                                                                                                    

Callaway SuperSoft Balls  (Good price and does everything I need a ball to do)

Edited by Osnola
Order

Long time lurker but rare poster but this one resonated with me because for years I've been a club ho. I was always looking for that "secret" club that was going to miraculously make up for my inconsistencies. I know it is the club swinger not the club after a certain point but it sure is fun to try different sticks. Once I discovered the used market some years ago, the problem got worse. I can honestly say that, at this point I'm content with my clubs.

I now believe it is a combination of club and golfer that determine success. Both have to be right for each other. Also, please get fit everyone...the doing it yourself, off the rack approach is just not very efficient and will cost you money in the long run not to mention negatively impacting your handicap.

I love finding just the club I was looking for and am totally brand agnostic. If  it works for me, it goes in the bag. I am always amused when I play with someone and the hate or can't hit some of their clubs. I always tell them about used clubs, offer to help them find something better and say "if you don't love every club in your bag that's a problem".

My club jones had always been drivers and three woods...I always gravitated toward ones that were slightly more club than I could handle. When swinging well, results were great but when timing was off, one too many flights before Saturday's round and... OB city! Found that the goods folks at Callaway had found a way to make a forgiving club for guys like me.

Driver- Epic Sub Zero 9 degree 

3 wood - Epic Sub Zero 13.5 degree + 1

hybrid - Cobra bio cell 17.5 degree

irons -  Wilso FG Tour V6 4-GW

Wedges - Mizuno MP- 5    57/12, 61/10

putter- Odyssey FG Hawk with Superstroke Counter balanced grip. 

Made the the move to the FG Tour V6 irons from Mizuno JPX EZ Forged. The Wilson's have made me love golf again. Shaping the ball, high, low, left, right, straight...you can do anything you want. Could not be happier with both the aesthetics and playability. Feel is incredible also. I was concerned that they might be too much of a "players club" but they are very forgiving.

The Epic Sub Zero was the first new driver I had gotten in some time. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of new (for me) drivers over the past few years (bought used) but hadn't paid full retail price for a driver in probably 10 years. The Epic Sub Zero changed that. Once I hit it and saw the numbers, it was goodbye X2 Hot Pro and hello SZ. Painful paying for it but don't think I'll need another driver until my swing speed slows down and it's time for a regular flex shaft.

Note: This thread is 2221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!